Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phil Taylor the Possible

this is from Joey Clinks appearance in press conference via Mehta

ON PHIL TAYLOR’S FEET ISSUES: “He probably does have some feet issues. He’s one of those guys that was 380 pounds that’s 335 pounds now. Phil’s a good player. He’s a two-gap nose guard. He’s strong. He’s physical…. I don’t think in the long-term… that his feet would be a big issue. Again, you’re looking for a guy that can help you now. He and many others have a chance to do that.

note he didn't say Phil taylor is a 5 tech. he didn't say he was a pass rusher. He said he was a 2 gap nose guard

also note the Jets with Rex Ryan drafting a player with possible foot issues is a PR nightmare.

the NY Post headlines practically write themselves.

"PR nightmare"......#187 our of the top 200 reasons to not draft a player.

Rex is a big boy, I'm sure he and the team can handle a few foot jokes, that one is right up there with "Dalton is a ginger! Kick him don't draft him!"

Out of all players Jets have been linked to in first round, Taylor is the one I do not want to see them draft. Yes, he has size and athleticisim, but that didn't translate to him being a consistently good player at Baylor. I don't see it working out better in the NFL.

And Pouha is very underrated, he's more than OK as a starter. Sure, we could use some depth behind him, but the same can be said for every position.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    this is from Joey Clinks appearance in press conference via Mehta

note he didn't say Phil taylor is a 5 tech. he didn't say he was a pass rusher. He said he was a 2 gap nose guard

also note the Jets with Rex Ryan drafting a player with possible foot issues is a PR nightmare.

the NY Post headlines practically write themselves.
    Every man on a 3-4 DL has to be able to handle 2 gaps. Guys like Ngata, Wilfork, and Raji played a ton of 3-4 DE last year. Ngata's been a 3-4 DE for years. Just because "Joey Clinks" says he's a 2-gap nose guard does not automatically mean he's been locked into the position. And come on man...pass rusher? You mean the 6'4 340 guy isn't going to be our #1 pass rusher? Didn't we just sign Garrett McIntyre for that anyway?

And what the f*ck...are you serious? A PR nightmare? In what way? Hell, in what way has Rex Ryan shown it's even possible to have a PR nightmare with him?

Edit: Only in your roundabout little world is "he probably does have feet issues" some kind of evidence...
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-21-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    i dont see how this player is any better than Pouha.
    I agree with you. Pouha has done an excellent job for us. I wonder about that guy Rex loves Martin Tevesau. He is 325 and is a big, strong guy. Can he play football? If Rex likes him apparently he has shown some talent for the NT position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Defensive Tackle | Baylor | SR Phil Taylor
    Height: 6-3¼ | Weight: 334 | 40-Time: 5.20

Official Bio

Strengths:
    • Excellent size and bulk with a big frame
    • Very strong, powerful and physical
    • Nice balance and stays on his feet
    • Stout at the point of attack and can anchor
    • Able to take on and occupy multiple blockers
    • Does a terrific job of stuffing the run
    • Good bull rusher and will push the pocket
    • Violent hands and uses them well
    • Aggressive and plays with an edge
    • Offers some schematic versatility

Weaknesses:
    • Weight, conditioning and stamina are problematic
    • Not very fast, quick, agile or explosive
    • Doesn't always play with proper leverage
    • Not real mobile and lacks great range
    • Is awfully limited as a pass rusher
    • Questionable instincts and awareness
    • Might have some durability issues
    • Character concerns after off-the-field trouble

Notes:
    Began college career at Penn State, where he redshirted then started five games over the next two years --- Arrested on assault charges following a fight at a frat party in 2008 and after initially being suspended was dismissed from the Nittany Lion football team and opted to transfer --- Was a two-year starter for the Bears --- Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2010 --- Was hampered by a sprained knee in '07 and missed time with a turf toe in '09 --- Showed lots of potential early in career then struggled as a junior before really coming on as a senior and improving draft stock -- Possesses intriguing size and profiles as a prototypical nose tackle in a even (4-3) or odd (3-4) front.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics
    Year GP TKL TFL SACK
    2006 RS - - -
    2007 12 20 6.5 3.0
    2008 RS - - -
    2009 12 25 2.5 0.5
    2010 13 62 7.0 2.0
    Totals 37 107 16.0 5.5
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 04-21-2011 at 07:51 PM.

All League
    I have faith in Rex to find run stuffers. He can turn Martin Tevasau into a better player than Phil Taylor ever will be.

Phil Taylor is a great pick if you are a Kansas City Chiefs fan with no real NT on the roster. the Jets have run stuffers like crazy they need a pass rusher.
    These points are hard to argue

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post

Edit: Only in your roundabout little world is "he probably does have feet issues" some kind of evidence...
    I saw Phil Taylor in the pit. hes not good. he's a fine player for 3rd and 1. he's useless on 3rd and 7. The closest he's coming to a quarterback sack is his own nutsack.

I saw Phil Taylor in the pit. hes not good. he's a fine player for 3rd and 1. he's useless on 3rd and 7. The closest he's coming to a quarterback sack is his own nutsack.
    Taylor, like the great Brooks Reed, caught his helium at the Senior Bowl. He had a good week and i believe I heard the words "wall" used with him. I realize he's not flying around the edge getting the sack, but I'm pretty sure having a 6'4 340 pound guy on the field isn't going to hurt.

That last sentence btw...the closest he's coming to a QB sack is his own nutsack? Was that supposed to not make sense?

Anyway:

http://draftbreakdown.com/tale-of-th...or-vs-oklahoma

Taylor’s strength and surprising explosiveness for a big man are evident, with the defensive tackle out-quicking and overpowering Oklahoma’s offensive linemen. Also, Taylor shows off the speed to make plays in pursuit, which is rare for a nearly 340-pound 3-4 nose tackle prospect. In fact, Taylor’s quickness and above average lateral agility could make him a fit as a defensive end in a 3-4 as well.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-22-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    These points are hard to argue
    True, passrush is a more glaring need right now and we need OLB that can make an impact straight away - I think adding passrushing OLB adds more value overall than Taylor with the platoon we already have. Especially since we don't have a 2nd round pick - the Jets front office is likely to be guided by these imperatives IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    If his feet are an issue we can't risk it, we made that mistake with D-Rob and Jon Vilma and got burned both times.

Vilma was red flagged by some teams for a bum knee, and a few years into his career he was having micro-surgery.

D-Rob was red flagged by some teams for a knee, and he was gimping around with no cartlidge (bone on bone)

By some accounts Taylor has chronic issues with both feet, if thats true we have to red flag him like other teams.

JMO
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Phil+...ient=firefox-a

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports..._false/4578581

Not quite "Joey Clinks" saying he "probably" has a foot problem, but hopefully something in there to take seriously.

If his feet are an issue we can't risk it, we made that mistake with D-Rob and Jon Vilma and got burned both times.

Vilma was red flagged by some teams for a bum knee, and a few years into his career he was having micro-surgery.

D-Rob was red flagged by some teams for a knee, and he was gimping around with no cartlidge (bone on bone)

By some accounts Taylor has chronic issues with both feet, if thats true we have to red flag him like other teams.

JMO
    Lets just remember this is the time of the Draft process when alot of stuff is floated out, true and untrue. Warren Sapp with weed problems, Marino with coke problems etc...

Interesting

I look at it this way, if there is no fear whatsoever about his feet, then absolutely he's a consideration at 30

But if those feet are a real issue, he's not worth the risk.
    I think the links I provided said they weren't a real issue. I'm not even sure that's a real disease. Most of the people on the internet who tried to figure out what exactly was being described got nothing...He also missed 0 time in college due to the devastation caused by this injury.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-22-2011 at 09:42 AM.

I know that, I can read, but other sources say it is, thats why I said "if"
    Yes, my links only exist because the rumor that he did have foot problems came out before the rumor that he actually didn't came out. The rumor kind of just came out of nowhere...and notice they pick feet!

If Taylor doesn't have that bone condition in his feet that is rumored then yes I am for drafting him.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    If Taylor doesn't have that bone condition in his feet that is rumored then yes I am for drafting him.
    so the bone condition in his foot is your deciding factor in choosing him?? lol- please explain why....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    so the bone condition in his foot is your deciding factor in choosing him?? lol- please explain why....thanks
    I don't know internet Rocky I mean if the bones in Phil Taylor's feet are actually deformed like some reports have said, the wacko far out there person might actually think that's not a wonderful thing. I do like him as a prospect but if he actually has a potential future injury then no.

But hey man you're Rocky with a keyboard so you're the guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    I don't know internet Rocky I mean if the bones in Phil Taylor's feet are actually deformed like some reports have said, the wacko far out there person might actually think that's not a wonderful thing. I do like him as a prospect but if he actually has a potential future injury then no.

But hey man you're Rocky with a keyboard so you're the guy.
    trying to piece together your bi-polar post you do realize he's had this condition for much of his life and it never hampered him?? don't you???