Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Dontay Moch be the guy?

All Pro

Could Dontay Moch be the guy?

I think the Jets would like to trade down and get this guy. If they cant find a partner, I say they still take him at 30. Yeah, he might be a bit raw, but the 4.4 speed coming off the edge has rex salivating.

So I think the Jets surprise everyone, and take Moch at 30.

All Pro
    If they Jets could trade down and recoup a 2nd round pick. Then take moch and hankersen in the 2nd. WOW!

Then maybe focus on a safety in round 3.

All Pro
    Dontay Mock.... NOOOOOOOOO

God we're destined to be butting heads hey?

Once we get out of the 1st, I'm easy. cheap. I'll take what we can get. especially at OLB. EXCEPT Moch. He's the only guy i've heard the dreaded "G" word attached to, and for good reason when i did some research.

Here's a small window into what i kept hearing over and over:

Moch had a lot of hype entering the season with his elite speed and athleticism, but he really has no clue how to play football, and on tape he reminded me of Vernon Gholston. He has absolutely no instincts and is very soft. He is the definition of a workout warrior. I'm not sold on him as an 3-4 rush linebacker either because he his instincts really hurt him and all he can do is use his first step and speed rush.
    EDIT: I just read that that you wanted to use a First on this guy?!?!? Isn't one colossal draft bust in the past decade good enough?
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-22-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    If they Jets could trade down and recoup a 2nd round pick. Then take moch and hankersen in the 2nd. WOW!

Then maybe focus on a safety in round 3.
    How are you trading down from #30 and getting 2 2nd round picks?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    ...and Mallet's the one who has a screw loose.

All Pro
    Sorry, I meant a 3rd. If a team like the Bengals trades up with us, I am assume we give them pick 30 and we get their early 2nd and early 3rd.

and taking a chance at 30 is alot different then taking a chance at 6.

Even if we took moch and he sucked, he would never be compare to gholsten. Cant really comapre pick 30 and pick 6.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Even if we took moch and he sucked, he would never be compare to gholsten. Cant really comapre pick 30 and pick 6.
    regardless, i don't see him go earlier than 3rd in any mocks. If the Jets saw something there with him, I think they could stand to roll the dice for him to fall us.

All Pro
    The Jets always seem to keep their cards well hidden on draft day. Last year Wilson was a surprise, when we moved up for keller, that was a surprise.

I just have a feeling that reed, ayers, etc arent the guys. I think we are going to surprise at this spot.

again, this is all predicated that we do not trade down.

Trading down would be the ideal scenario.

All Pro
    i'm not feelin Ayers, Reed, Taylor either. I honestly think if Heywards there, done. If he's not we'll take what off we can get and slide back (Unless Jimmy smith or Carimi was still there.)

Trade up for Jordan or Kerrigan is what ultimately want.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    i'm not feelin Ayers, Reed, Taylor either. I honestly think if Heywards there, done. If he's not we'll take what off we can get and slide back (Unless Jimmy smith or Carimi was still there.)

Trade up for Jordan or Kerrigan is what ultimately want.
    You have to put Wilkerson in that equation. The guy has the talent and the drive. BTW, Im with you on Moch, but what OLB would be there in rd 3.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    You have to put Wilkerson in that equation. The guy has the talent and the drive. BTW, Im with you on Moch, but what OLB would be there in rd 3.
    Ya i thought about Wilk, but i think someone reaches on that kid..

Chris Carter is like the only OLB i'm high on around that area, and it's doubtful he's still there, the rest of the guys don't grade out until 4th and 5th rnds. Ozougwu, Friday, and Chinasa (especially Friday) are 3 guys i'm watching for in the middle rounds.

Chris Carter is like the only OLB i'm high on around that area, and it's doubtful he's still there, the rest of the guys don't grade out until 4th and 5th rnds. Ozougwu, Friday, and Chinasa (especially Friday) are 3 guys i'm watching for in the middle rounds.

I really think Martez Wilson will fall to us in rd 3.

Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    I really think Martez Wilson will fall to us in rd 3.
    Martez Wilson has REX written all over him. I think we'd have to get back up into the high to mid second to grab him though.

Its likely that the Jets will be targeting him as they field calls to trade down with a team looking to get back into the end of the first for perceived elite talent.

I personally think that this is an extremely likely first player that the Jets will draft...

in the last week or so I've come to the conclusion the Jets want a "real" linebacker after the Gholston debacle. Ayers, Houston, Wilson type of player.

Tanny would probably eat his own young before drafting another DE to OLB conversion in rd 1.

if that's true, Moch out of the equation. (also Sheard, Reed and many other binkies in the forum)

by the way It's not the 4.4 that makes him super impressive, it's the 42 inch vert. He's a sick athlete. 27 career sacks puts him 4th in this draft behind Kerrigan, Von Miller, and Bruce Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Martez Wilson has REX written all over him. I think we'd have to get back up into the high to mid second to grab him though.

Its likely that the Jets will be targeting him as they field calls to trade down with a team looking to get back into the end of the first for perceived elite talent.

I personally think that this is an extremely likely first player that the Jets will draft...
    Wilson has 1st round measurables and they need help at ILB as well as OLB. No ones really talking about it but Bart Scott played average last year. I think he's very much in the mix for 30... if Ayers and Houston are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Wilson has 1st round measurables and they need help at ILB as well as OLB. No ones really talking about it but Bart Scott played average last year. I think he's very much in the mix for 30... if Ayers and Houston are gone.
    i am completely on-message with u on this.

i don't think the jets can afford organizationally to risk a DE conversion player.

it is just too hard to predict success for a player that will play a position that is completely different technique-wise than the position he played up until the pro career. ppl completely underestimate the difficulty in transition from three-point-stance/hand-in-the-dirt to two-point-stance/LBer.

if u have played football or have been involved with the game via coaching (even pop warner) u see the difference starkly.

martez wilson is a player i absolutely love. this player with a few years under his belt, without the injury, and the attitude, is a top ten ILB.

his ornery demeanor seems to have turned some away from him (additionally, his lackluster drills [which i don't know what to make of]) but IMO this ornery, nasty, antisocial demeanor is kind of the initial material Rex might like to mold. he's seen his share of ILBs that fit this bill -- Lewis and Scott.

btw, wilson is truly that "multiple" type of player that Rex has been harping on. "we like to be multiple" is a frequent Ryanism. i don't think its proper grammar but it means capable of wearing many hats or being variable on the aggregate/capable of morphing into different fronts/looks.

wilson has the size and measurables to "be multiple" between ILB and OLB.

This is a different type of conversion, but perhaps safer than DE>OLB, simply because like u say, this player is already a natural LB...

don't forget people, REX personally went to the Illinois pro day.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post

martez wilson is a player i absolutely love. this player with a few years under his belt, without the injury, and the attitude, is a top ten ILB.

the reality is that if Martez Wilson killed it at his pro day he probably goes 19 to the Giants or higher. He's got top 20 type of measurables. So yes he's got flaws but that's why these players might make it to 30. the Jets are gonna look for value, they aren't gonna reach.

fwiw these are my names for the Jets, 1 week out

trade up target:
    Cam Jordan

not a position of terrible need but they'd totally pounce:
    Jimmy Smith
    Gabe Carimi

hope they fall but probably wont
    Muhammad Wilkerson
    Corey Liuget
    Cam Heyward

real LB most likely the pick
    Akeem Ayers
    Justin Houston
    Martez Wilson.

If they are going to take Wilson they should trade back. People also need to understand that Wilson was not developed at all in Illinios, so the kid needs some time.

yeah wouldn't mind getting carter in the third and bring him in slowly to complete recovery from his injury

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    in the last week or so I've come to the conclusion the Jets want a "real" linebacker after the Gholston debacle. Ayers, Houston, Wilson type of player.

Tanny would probably eat his own young before drafting another DE to OLB conversion in rd 1.

if that's true, Moch out of the equation. (also Sheard, Reed and many other binkies in the forum)

by the way It's not the 4.4 that makes him super impressive, it's the 42 inch vert. He's a sick athlete. 27 career sacks puts him 4th in this draft behind Kerrigan, Von Miller, and Bruce Miller
    What makes you think that? I know the Jets don't think that Gholston is a bust because he was converted to OLB, Rex tried to play him to rush the QB and he sucked at it. He was just a terrible pass rusher and wasn't what the Jets thought. Has nothing to do with being a LB or DE, he just couldn't beat NFL linemen. He didn't have the hips to bend under a OT and I don't think he even liked football much. His passion is body building. Being soft and trying to bull rush NFL linemen isn't going to cut it.

HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO PROJECT A COLLEGE DOWN LINEMAN TO AN NFL LINEBACKER (Like Arizona’s Brooks Reid): “The first thing we’re looking for is can he rush the passer? With the defense we want to play, Rex wants a guy that can rush the passer. For a rush ‘backer, dropping in coverage is probably only 15 percent of what he does. So he needs to be smart, he needs to have good hand use, he needs to have quick feet. Again, have a demeanor to be hungry to get to the quarterback.”

I think he wants a guy that can rush the QB, the dropping into coverage and all that **** is overrated, hes not going to be asked to do that much. Terrell Suggs was a college DE, I don't think Rex is going to be scared off by that.

#1 you look at can they rush the QB, then you see how they can play in space to contain the outside. Coverage doesn't have to be awesome at that position. The money is with getting after the QB.