Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Automotive Future?

Our Automotive Future?

[QUOTE]Auto
    Mitsubishi's '$8,000' Electric Car
    By John Voelcker

Published April 22, 2011
    | High Gear Media

[IMG]http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/397/224/mi.jpg[/IMG]

Driving electric just got cheaper, as Mitsubishi announced that its 2012 'i' electric car would be priced at just $27,990 before incentives when deliveries begin in California next January.

That makes the 2012 Mitsubishi 'i' the least expensive plug-in car on sale in the U.S. market. It qualifies for a $7,500 Federal income-tax credit, plus a host of state, local, and corporate incentives.

The new pricing puts significant pressure on Toyota, which had vowed that its 2012 Prius Plug-In Hybrid would be the lowest-priced plug-in sold in the States when it goes on sale by June 2012.

Interested buyers can register to pre-order the car starting tomorrow. In an interesting digital twist, a pair of deposits--one for the car, the other for a mandatory home inspection--will be accepted via Paypal.

The price of $27,990 applies to the base trim level, known as the 'i' ES. The next level up, the SE, adds 15-inch aluminum wheels, fog lamps, and a better sound system, for an additional $2,000.

And the SE Premium trim level, for $2,790 more, adds a navigation system, more infotainment options, and a DC fast-charging port.

That last option may be the most important one, since it allows the battery pack to be recharged to about 80 percent of capacity in just half an hour.

The fast-charge port uses the same Chademo standard that's also optional on the 2011 Nissan Leaf, meaning that the handful of fast charging stations that now exist in the U.S.--there are ambitious plans to add more--will work with either vehicle.

One final option on the 2012 Mitsubishi 'i' electric car is the Cold Zone package, which includes heated exterior mirrors and a system to keep the lithium-ion battery pack warm.

The price does not include a required delivery charge, which Mitsubishi spokesman Moe Durand estimated to be in the neighborhood of $720.

Applying the same math that we used for a hypothetical buyer of a 2011 Nissan Leaf who lived and worked in a very particular set of circumstances, there are a handful of California buyers who might be able to buy a 2012 Mitsubishi 'i' for slightly less than $8,000.[/QUOTE]

Bit, when you buy yours, will you post some pictures for us, so we can know what our future holds. Thanks.;)

Banned
    [url]http://www.teslamotors.com/[/url]

All League
    Interesting, I wonder how many miles it goes on a single charge?

Jets Insider VIP
    Chevy's new Camaro ZL1 has an all-aluminum 550 HP motor.:yes::vroom:

All League
    [B][Size=6]Buy a Chevy Volt! Its on [COLOR="Red"]Fiiiiiii-yaaa[/COLOR]!!![/Size][/B]

[img]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/chevrolet-volt-fire-630.jpg[/img]

Ooops...

8 hours to fully charge the volt and forget turning on the heater or ac drains the battery real quick.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4006876]Chevy's new Camaro ZL1 has an all-aluminum 550 HP motor.:yes::vroom:[/QUOTE]

I thought I saw a commercial recently on the new Mustang having a 500+ HP V6 available that gets over 30 MPG. That's pretty impressive if true.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4006853]Bit, when you buy yours, will you post some pictures for us, so we can know what our future holds. Thanks.;)[/QUOTE]

Warfish if you spend your time wishing for days gone bye you aren't an independent you are a conservative. Sorry that people aren't driving 1964 cadillacs to work every day.

Banned
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4006906]8 hours to fully charge the volt and forget turning on the heater or ac drains the battery real quick.[/QUOTE]

The battery technology just isn't there yet for an all-electric car.

All League
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4006909]I thought I saw a commercial recently on the new Mustang having a 500+ HP V6 available that gets over 30 MPG. That's pretty impressive if true.[/QUOTE]

300 HP

Banned
    [QUOTE=adb280z;4006921]300 HP[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn the commercial said 500.

Checking out Ford's website, and you're correct. 305 horses.

That's still pretty damned good, considering.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4006914]Warfish if you spend your time wishing for days gone bye you aren't an independent you are a conservative. Sorry that people aren't driving 1964 cadillacs to work every day.[/QUOTE]

Thats okay, as I said, just tell me what it's like to drive (especially if you take it on a long-distance trip), so I can know what my future holds.

Thats not asking alot, is it? :dunno:

[QUOTE=Warfish;4006933]Thats okay, as I said, just tell me what it's like to drive (especially if you take it on a long-distance trip), so I can know what my future holds.[/QUOTE]

it wasn't liberals who made gasoline 4 dollars a gallon.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4006934]it wasn't liberals who made gasoline 4 dollars a gallon.[/QUOTE]

"According to the [URL="http://www.gasbuddy.com/"]GasBuddy[/URL] gasoline price tracking web site, the price of a gallon of regular gas was around $1.79 when Mr. Obama took office. Today the national average is $3.58. "

[QUOTE=Trades;4006954]"According to the [URL="http://www.gasbuddy.com/"]GasBuddy[/URL] gasoline price tracking web site, the price of a gallon of regular gas was around $1.79 when Mr. Obama took office. Today the national average is $3.58. "[/QUOTE]

using that logic the Dow Jones is up 2000 points since he took office.

Correlation doesn't always equal causality.

[url]http://factcheck.org/2011/03/is-obama-to-blame-for-4-gasoline/[/url]

[QUOTE=bitonti;4006934]it wasn't liberals who made gasoline 4 dollars a gallon.[/QUOTE]

Well, I know what the price was when the Democrats won Congress (and then later, the White House), and I know what prices are now.

But I'll bite, what DID make Gasoline $4.00/Gallon, as you see it?

Once you answer, please stop derailing my request, will I be getting my "Drivers Seat Review" on this baby from you, or not? You're not saying you're not going to buy one, are you?

I love conservative Obama-haters actually rooting for Japan to beat our American car companies. How patriotic of our most patriotic patriots.

Buy the Chevy Volt, it's made in America and it's not radioactive!

[QUOTE=Warfish;4007016]
    But I'll bite, what DID make Gasoline $4.00/Gallon, as you see it?[/QUOTE]

on the supply side: Political instability in Libya, Saudi not having as much as they claim, Iraq not coming online fast enough and the scary idea of peak oil.

Cheap easy to extract crude is a thing of the past. There's plenty of bitumen and deep sea stuff but the black gold days are over.

on the demand side India and China are probably [b]the biggest drivers of price[/b]. When 2 billion people go through essentially the industrial revolution at the same time it's gonna drive up demand. Oil is traded in NY but it's a global market.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4007016]
    Once you answer, please stop derailing my request, will I be getting my "Drivers Seat Review" on this baby from you, or not? You're not saying you're not going to buy one, are you?[/QUOTE]

No. I am not an early adopter in general. the desktop im writing this note on is from the year 2000. I just got my first smartphone three months ago. I like technology to work out the kinks before I buy in.

A very wise man once told me if you live on the cutting edge of technology there's gonna be alot of bleeding.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4007041]on the supply side: Political instability in Libya, Saudi not having as much as they claim, Iraq not coming online fast enough and the scary idea of peak oil.

Cheap easy to extract crude is a thing of the past. There's plenty of bitumen and deep sea stuff but the black gold days are over.

on the demand side India and China are probably [b]the biggest drivers of price[/b]. When 2 billion people go through essentially the industrial revolution at the same time it's gonna drive up demand. Oil is traded in NY but it's a global market.

No. I am not an early adopter in general. the desktop im writing this note on is from the year 2000. I just got my first smartphone three months ago. I like technology to work out the kinks before I buy in.

A very wise man once told me if you live on the cutting edge of technology there's gonna be alot of bleeding.[/QUOTE]

Why talk facts?

Obaramar is a terrorist a-rab frim Kenya.

The oil companies that control the republican't party know what is best for us. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=TerminatorJet;4007052]Why talk facts?

Obaramar is a terrorist a-rab frim Kenya.

The oil companies that control the republican't party know what is best for us. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Wow.

Fail troll is UBER-fail.