Thread: Are we serious about R. Cobb? Is there a case to take him?

All Pro

Are we serious about R. Cobb? Is there a case to take him?

Just wondering what's the story with Cobb. Jets worked him out, which i haven't put much thought into yet.

He's likely to go late 1st/early 2nd. I'm wondering if Heyward is gone, Smith, Taylor as well, and the pick is announced " The Jets select Randall Cobb, wide receiver, Kentucky"

...should i be mad? or happy?

you should not be happy.

1 - the jets have overwhelmingly drafted (and signed and traded for) offense recently, and the defense is aging.

2 - this would seem to be a reactive move signaling a failure to reach any definitive proactive success on the holmes-edwards situation. (why is it necessary to have 2 #1 wrs on a team, when that team recently drafted a pass catching TE (keller) and already has a strong possession wr (cotchery)?

additionally - we just drafted joe mcknight as an all purpose player. cobb is a versatile player but how is he going to get playing time?

All Pro
    Cobb is a good player. I don't think he's as good as Titus Young and I don't like him at 30 at all.

Could be a guy they target with a trade back into the mid 2nd.

I'm really starting to favor the trade back then trade up option. Come away with three players in the top 75-80 a pick or two in the 6th-7th rounds.

And it's looking like they will need to pick at least 1 WR.

All League
    At #30 - NO! I wouldn't mind taking him in the 3rd round or if he's one result of acquired picks in a trade back from #30.

IMO - the Pros: Game-breaking Speed and Agility. Possible Wild-cat option. Class Act

a poor man's Leon Washington, a BROKE man's Percy Harvin.

Randall Cobb - WR Kentucky - Junior
    Height: 5-10 | Weight: 191 | 40-Time: 4.46

Strengths:
    Is super smooth with outstanding natural athleticism
    Great quickness, agility, balance, change of direction
    Soft hands plus fantastic ball skills and body control
    Extremely elusive with excellent vision and instincts
    Runs good routes and understands how to get open
    Very tough and isn't afraid of contact or of getting hit
    Terrific awareness w/ high football IQ and feel for game
    Experience lining up at running back and quarterback
    A dangerous return man who excelled on special teams
    Competitive, mature, hard working, a respected leader
    Productive and excelled against top-notch competition

Weaknesses:
    Merely average height and bulk with small frame
    Isn't real explosive and lacks elite timed speed
    Doesn't get much separation downfield vertically
    Will drop some balls due to lack of concentration
    Lacks strength / power and won't break tackles
    Gives good effort but won't offer much as blocker
    Still somewhat raw and is not a master technician
    Suffered some injuries and durability is a concern

Notes:
    A three-year starter and team captain for the Wildcats --- Named 1st Team All-SEC in 2009 and 2010 --- Garnered 1st Team All-American honors as an all-purpose player in 2010 --- Cousin, Shannon Mitchell, played at Georgia and for San Diego Chargers --- Cousin, Billy Williams, played at Tennessee and for St. Louis Rams --- Won three state championships at Alcoa High School in Tennessee and was named the states "Mr. Football" --- Averaged 24.6 yards with 0 touchdowns on 44 kick returns and 9.8 yards with 2 touchdowns on 63 punt returns in college --- Carried the ball 228 times for 1,313 yards (5.8 avg.) and 22 touchdowns during college career --- Played some quarterback at Kentucky, starting four games in 2008 then later out of what they called the "WildCobb" formation, and finished career 62 of 122 (50.8%) for 689 yards with 5 touchdowns and 5 interceptions --- Also held for placekicks --- Only player in the nation to rank first or second on his team in rushing, passing and receiving in 2010 --- Scored eight different ways (rushing, receiving and passing for touchdowns; returning a punt for a TD; throwing for a TD on a fake field goal; and notching two-point conversions by rushing, passing and receiving) in 2010 --- Broke the UK all-time record for total touchdowns (37) in just three seasons --- Owns the SEC's single-season record for all-purpose yardage --- Scored game-winning, come-from-behind fourth-quarter touchdowns against five teams --- Missed some time with ankle ('08) and thumb ('09) injuries --- Was also very active in the community in Lexington --- Profiles as a #2 / #3 option at next level and best fit may come in the slot --- Playmaker and jack-of-all-trades who's a threat to score every time he touches the ball from anywhere on the field --- An extraordinarily versatile prospect who will contribute in a multitude of ways and undoubtedly prove to be an invaluable part of an NFL team.

As long as he's better than this guy:

Last edited by Gas2No99; 04-23-2011 at 07:03 PM.

All Pro
    so that's a resounding "no"... unless it's somewhere in the 2nd/3rd.

I would caution everyone to remind you that we have this unit called "Special Teams". I think we've been a little spoiled with over the past few years with Leon & Brad. Neither are still here, and possibly Cromartie too.

...Not saying he's worth #30, but what exactly do we have as our big time playmaker & potential game deciding threat at PR/KR?? ...And so help me GOD, don't anyone dare mention schlep mcknight.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-23-2011 at 07:58 PM.

All League
    Draft the BEAST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Cobb is a good player. I don't think he's as good as Titus Young and I don't like him at 30 at all.

Could be a guy they target with a trade back into the mid 2nd.

I'm really starting to favor the trade back then trade up option. Come away with three players in the top 75-80 a pick or two in the 6th-7th rounds.

And it's looking like they will need to pick at least 1 WR.
    Picking him at 30 isplain awful