Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martez Wilson

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Martez Wilson

How would you compare this guy to the rest of the OLB prospects that have been discussed so far? I think I'd be happier if we traded back and took him in round 2 over taking Ayers/Reed/Houston/Heyward at 30.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

I have been thinking about him in our defense alot the last few weeks. I like the way he slips blocks and attacks down hill. Most of the film is of him playing on the inside but the small amount I did get to see of him coming off the edge was all good.

He reminds me a little of Keith Bullock from the Titans. I would not be shocked if the Jets take him. As long as disk in his neck is 100% he would bring speed to our defense and the ability to play OLB and MLB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nah, first thing is their ability to rush the QB. Has Martez Wilson shown that hes a pass rusher?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Positives: "Tall, athletic defender with potential at a variety of linebacker positions. Fluid, smooth moving about the field, and easily makes plays in space. Forceful on the blitz, quickly fills gaps in run defense, and wraps up tackling. Breaks down well, rarely off his feet, and easily plays off blocks. Effectively uses his hands, shows a burst of speed, and can pursue the action sideline to sideline. Plays with terrific balance and body control."

Negatives: Does not show a killer instinct and is more of a finesse defender. Does not always play with a physical nature. Has average instincts and does not consistently take proper angles to the action. Lacks a smooth and quick backpedal in coverage.

Analysis: Wilson passes the eyeball test and often plays to it on the field. He offers impressive measurables and a lot of upside but must become more physical and play to his level of ability on a consistent basis if he's to be a productive starter in the NFL.

Projection: 2nd

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/69304.html

Positives: Body beautiful. Looks every bit the part with vines for arms and a chiseled physique — maintains less than eight percent body fat. Athletic with an intriguing size-speed ratio. Strong-handed. Punishing hitter with explosive striking ability. Outstanding straight-line speed and deceptive burst to close when he sees it. Flashes ability to pressurize the edge as a blitzer. Good hands. Tested well at the Combine — was the fastest linebacker (clocked as low as 4.42 seconds in the 40-yard dash), recorded 10-yard marks comparable to cornerbacks, vertical-leaped 36 inches and broad-jumped 10 feet, 6 inches.

Negatives: Not a natural inside ’backer. Raw instincts. Slow trigger — eyes and instincts still developing. Does not play to timed speed. Too tight-hipped and straight-linish. Plays tall and narrow-based and is too easily engaged between the tackles. Takes questionable angles. Not physical taking on blocks and can be mauled at the point. Most of his production is uncontested, and struggles with movement coming at him. Needs to improve hand use. Too much body stiffness. Lateral quickness is just adequate. Not fluid or agile to shadow backs. Can play with more urgency. Character and durability need to be investigated.

Summary: Raw, long-limbed, high-cut, sinewy physical specimen who will be considerably overdrafted on measurables. Possesses moldable tools and significant upside if his instincts and football sense ever catch up with his natural ability. Straight-line, high-collision banger with predatory closing speed who also could warrant interest as a rush linebacker.

NFL projection: Second- to third-round pick.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...rtez-wilson-2/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    week of the draft im throwing my vote to Martez Wilson

theres no way this player, with these skills is a 2nd-3rd round pick

check his combine workouts they were absolutely obscene off the charts

6'4" and almost 35 inch arms
    4.49 40 yard dash at 250 pounds
    36 inch vertical leap
    10'4" broad jump
    7.04 3-cone

these are first round numbers

and it's not like he's just a workout warrior. He's known as a good blitzer. Rex Ryan (who loves to blitz) was actually at his pro day. who else can we say that about? Aldon Smith?

he can play ILB or OLB which is good because the Jets need both positions. Bart Scott needs to be put on notice he played like crap for most of last year. They could cut Bryan Thomas to sign some of their own FA's.

only downside is the neck injury, which he seems to have recovered from. and a so called "lack of instincts" And let's be honest if he had done amazing in pro day and no injury he probably goes 10 slots higher to a team like the Giants or Pats.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's because you guys haven't watched him...

He fears contact. That's the best way I can put it because if you watch him, he'll find ways to hide behind a block or absolutely avoid making any type of hit.

Now, as a pass rusher he intrigues me a little bit. You don't need to be the most physical guy in the world to run the edge. John Abraham would look out of place and not physical playing inside linebacker for a team. Wilson played inside far too much and it's really tough to know whether he's at all adept at running the edge.

I wouldn't pick him because he's not physical. I'm willing to bet a lot of money that Rex and company have identified that trait and hate him. And I'm also willing to bet a lot of money that Rex was watching Liuget at the Illinois pro day.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 04-25-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to like Martez Wilson. I wish both he and Ayers played with more obvious anger/toughness.

If Rex Ryan took him I wouldn't flip my shyte.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's only 2 youtubes but i don't see a guy shying away from contact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyQyGwR9KjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_kX-cfzjjw

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it's only 2 youtubes but i don't see a guy shying away from contact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyQyGwR9KjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_kX-cfzjjw
    Precisely why I don't use Youtube for this.

I learned my lesson long ago and chose to download games because that was the only way to get a true feel. You have to see a player every down, including the ones he's not a direct factor on.

I promise you that he doesn't like contact. that doesn't mean he couldn't make a physical tackle every now and then. Kerry Rhodes even did that at times. But he just doesn't like to do it and there are plays where he basically hides.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Alo Draft Breakdown vids are good because he shows every single play the dude is involved in, whether it was good or bad

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I promise you that he doesn't like contact.
    We could say the same thing about Ayers. The Jets would take either player happily.

Brooks Reed might "like" contact more but I don't think he's really on their radar.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Alo Draft Breakdown vids are good because he shows every single play the dude is involved in, whether it was good or bad

We could say the same thing about Ayers. The Jets would take either player happily.

Brooks Reed might "like" contact more but I don't think he's really on their radar.
    Ayers is more willing to get his nose dirty than Wilson.

I like Ayers a lot personally. And I specifically went into games watching him expecting to be underwhelmed.

I like Reed, but I don't see 15 sack upside with him. I see a hard working guy who can manage 9 or 10 if EVERYTHING goes right. He's not as strong as needed right now and he's 24 so I think his playing strength is as good as it gets right now.

The one with a lot of upside is Houston, it's just that he shows such a lack of want-to that I can't support picking him. Always the small chance of Rex getting it out of him, but the greater percentage chance is that it doesn't happen.

The pass rushers who are likely to go around our spot, I probably prefer Ayers. Perhaps a tradeup if someone like Aldon or Kerrigan somehow fall to the 20s. Doesn't sound likely, but Ive learned to never rule anything out. Especially considering these teams go QB happy. (Which is definitely the best case scenario)

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    That's because you guys haven't watched him...

He fears contact. That's the best way I can put it because if you watch him, he'll find ways to hide behind a block or absolutely avoid making any type of hit.

Now, as a pass rusher he intrigues me a little bit. You don't need to be the most physical guy in the world to run the edge. John Abraham would look out of place and not physical playing inside linebacker for a team. Wilson played inside far too much and it's really tough to know whether he's at all adept at running the edge.

I wouldn't pick him because he's not physical. I'm willing to bet a lot of money that Rex and company have identified that trait and hate him. And I'm also willing to bet a lot of money that Rex was watching Liuget at the Illinois pro day.

My take is this. We aren't going to ask him to be David Harris. We are going to ask him to be a young Jason Taylor. And from what I have seen, he is a better bet to do that than Ayers/Reed/Houston. I defer to you on the finer points, I could be wrong, but I'd be happier with Wilson than Reed or Ayers. I'd be disappointed with Reed at 30.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    let me reiterate the dude is running 4.49 at 250 that's not a 3rd round value

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsOptimist View Post
    My take is this. We aren't going to ask him to be David Harris. We are going to ask him to be a young Jason Taylor. And from what I have seen, he is a better bet to do that than Ayers/Reed/Houston. I defer to you on the finer points, I could be wrong, but I'd be happier with Wilson than Reed or Ayers. I'd be disappointed with Reed at 30.
    Don't focus too much on the slotting of players. Whether it be at 30, or the 3rd round, it really doesn't matter. The only thing anyone ever remembers is whether or not they turned into good players.

People who focus on slotting are just too caught up in the fallacy that drafting is a crap shoot when it's not. Just because a couple of dumb publications mock a player as a mid 2nd rounder means nothing considering the only true value is based on where the 32 teams have a player.

If every publication mocks a player in the 3rd round but a team is willing to take him in the first, then he's a 1st round value.

A good example of that is someone like Jarvis Jenkins. I've seen him mocked in the 3rd round by plenty of sites but I'd take the guy at 30. Mainly because I'm not completely certain that another team wouldn't take him early 2nd. I just think a lot of the player and guarantee that he'll be a good pro. Ultimately, that is the only thing that matters.

We got Justin Miller, Derrick Strait, and plenty of other players in the past who were excellent values, but they sucked as players so it didn't matter one bit.

And yes, I could see a team falling in love with Wilson's measurables but he's still not a first round talent in my book. Much like many other players who are sure to go in the first.

Nate Solder will go in the first but I wouldn't take him in the 6th because I see no scenario where he's a good player in this league. Becuase of that, I'm hoping he goes to the pats, or some other team that I dislike.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    let me reiterate the dude is running 4.49 at 250 that's not a 3rd round value
    bitonti, i've been following the clues on this player also. came out last week saying this is one of a handful of likely players the Jets take with their first pick -- whether they take him without trading down first is another story.

i like ur instincts in general on this player to this team, but i think the rationale is a little different.

i am going to post a different angle on this player in Rex's defense.

but in terms of the above statement. Wilson doesn't play at 4.49 unless he's got room to extend that long stride - as when he chases down pryor from behind in the vid - to its natural second gear.

he is so long that at ILB, in the trash, he's not always playing in second gear, the 4.49 gear. i think you are making a projection based on evaluation of his raw combine de-football-contextualized metrics, rather than the baseline player-in-pads, which is a mistake u are prone to at this time of year, being someone that looks heavily at the numbers to rank.

i wouldn't be so fooled by that 4.49. wilson possesses that number, but isnt capable of using it all the time on the field...
    Last edited by Darth Vader; 04-25-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    i think you are making a projection based on evaluation of his raw combine de-football-contextualized metrics, rather than the baseline player-in-pads, which is a mistake u are prone to at this time of year, being someone that looks heavily at the numbers to rank.

i wouldn't be so fooled by that 4.49. wilson possesses that number, but isnt capable of using it all the time on the field...
    He can use that speed on the outside. I remember the games... Martez was a borderline 1st rounder when he declared... when he was 1 of about 3 decent prospects on his entire big 10 team. now he's blown up the combine and is a 3rd rounder cause he's stiff - i don't buy it.

Like Ayers, Wilson is a very good player on a very bad defense. they used him in ways that he wasn't ideal for... in this defense he wouldn't be David Harris, he'd be an outside pass rusher and hopefully BT/JT replacement. but his ILB versatility would be useful in case of injury.

I don't know for a fact it will be Wilson but I will say this team is looking for an athletic linebacker who has played linebacker. JMO They won't take a DE who never stood up in rd1. It's inviting the Gholston situation all over again.

People think that taking Brooks Reed cause he's a hustle guy makes it a less risky pick. That if only Gholston had Brooks Reed's motor he'd be a great player. Maybe... maybe not.

Any college DE projecting to OLB... and never played that position in college is a risky pick. There's a very good chance than any 4-3 DE won't fit the 3-4.

also In the last week or so I have come around to the importance of team visits and workouts. They never worked out brooks reed privately or in Florham. But Rex was at Wilson's pro day. That's gotta mean something. every first rounder since 2006 Dbrick has been at least private worked out if not visited and worked out. they worked out Houston too... either pick makes sense...as does Ayers.
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-25-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He can use that speed on the outside. I remember the games... Martez was a borderline 1st rounder when he declared... when he was 1 of about 3 decent prospects on his entire big 10 team. now he's blown up the combine and is a 3rd rounder cause he's stiff - i don't buy it.

Like Ayers, Wilson is a very good player on a very bad defense. they used him in ways that he wasn't ideal for... in this defense he wouldn't be David Harris, he'd be an outside pass rusher and hopefully BT/JT replacement. but his ILB versatility would be useful in case of injury.

I don't know for a fact it will be Wilson but I will say this team is looking for an athletic linebacker who has played linebacker. JMO They won't take a DE who never stood up in rd1. It's inviting the Gholston situation all over again.

People think that taking Brooks Reed cause he's a hustle guy makes it a less risky pick. That if only Gholston had Brooks Reed's motor he'd be a great player.

Any college DE projecting to OLB... and never played that position in college is a risky pick. There's a very good chance than any 4-3 DE won't fit the 3-4.
    i completely agree with all of that. in fact i believe that rex is salivating over this player...thinks he'd be a major steal at 30. the value board of Tannenbaum may not say this and the GM may look to recoup more value and get this player at ~40.

lets put it this way. if wilson didnt give illinois the hometown discount, he'd have played at a much more major program and been a superstar.

i just think that the 4.49 argument is the wrong argument to make to convince people...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsOptimist View Post
    What have you EVER seen Wilson do from the edge that reminds you of Jason Taylor? Please post a link or something.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    What have you EVER seen Wilson do from the edge that reminds you of Jason Taylor? Please post a link or something.
    check around the 1 min mark of the Ohio State Youtube above

he swims the guard or tackle, hunts down a very fast Terrelle Pryor and gets the sack

it's foolish to say any prospect can be All-Pro Jason taylor but he can rush outside.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    check around the 1 min mark of the Ohio State Youtube above

he swims the guard or tackle, hunts down a very fast Terrelle Pryor and gets the sack

it's foolish to say any prospect can be All-Pro Jason taylor but he can rush outside.
    Thanks Bit, I'll check that out.