Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: besides Revis the secondary is a mess

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

besides Revis the secondary is a mess

Let's take stock of the team for a second... especially the secondary.

They have Darrelle Revis, who is awesome.

They have Kyle Wilson who really didn't show much last year. He had a sure fire int doink off his facemask during the AFC CG and that was probably a "highlight" compared to how he played for most of the year.

They have Marques Cole who is a gritty player, great special teamer and possible nickel/dime guy.

They have Dwight Lowery who is a great ball-hawk but sometimes questionable tackler, ended the year at safety. Many question his foot speed for Rex's scheme and whether he's a true cornerback (i.e. he might stay at safety). He might be a good cover2 cornerback or zone guy. I don't know if he's in their long term plans.

they have Jim Leonard, the rudy of the AFC. a great player we all love but coming off a broken leg. even before the leg he was an absolute liability in coverage. He can't cover anyone. Not RB, TE or WR.

and that's it.

this is the list of DBs not under contract:

Antonio Cromartie
    James Ihedibo
    Eric Smith
    Brodney Pool
    Drew Coleman

im not going to turn this into a specific draft thread about any player

and who knows when Free Agency is gonna open up...

and when it does, how many of the above players return to the team.

but in general this unit needs help. it is possibly the worst unit on the team. Right up there with the WR without Holmes/Braylon.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I playing in the slot had a lot to do with Wilson's struggles. It's a tough spot to play, and he seemed to have trouble adjusting to it all year. I'm hoping that with some time, he will get better there. I also think he will be a lot better playing on the outside where he is comfortable. He looked really good in the buffalo game at the end of the year when he was able to play on the outside in his natural position. The kid seems like a hard worker, so I think he will get better with experience.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets aren't going to let Cro get away, plus Wilson will be better next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=meatboy;4007937]Jets aren't going to let Cro get away, plus Wilson will be better next year.[/QUOTE]i think the jets would let cro walk before holmes & would resign edwards before both of em..

i wouldn't be shocked if wilson is second on the depth chart next season..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis, cro and wilson were 1st round picks. Poole is a second rounder. That should be enough talent back there. We have other areas we need to address w our top picks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Talib actually gets released, jump all over him. Dude is a monster (player and person).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a big fan of Ihedigbo. Really hope they can keep him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think they're as bad a shape as you think. Besides the safety position, I think they are pretty good at the corner. Even letting Cro walk (which won't happen), they are still in good position.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    luckily for the jets revis is the equivalant of three players in most other teams secondary

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    jimmy smith *cough cough*

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Give Wilson one tenth of the blind support you gave Gholston and all of a sudden we're in fine shape even if the Jets let Cro walk.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cromartie switched agents and probably is a goner. Edwards and Holmes bring more to the table. So let's stop mentioning Cro you guys..

Our secondary is this:

Revis
    Wilson
    Lowery
    Cole
    Leonard

For realz....

And people think taking [B]Jimmy Smith[/B] is silly. Are you kidding me?

Who cares what round Pool or Wilson were taken. Rex's system is teh fail without solid play in the secondary. All the reeds and ayers in the world isn't going to keep Brady, Manning, Rivers, Bens from killing us. Hell even Fitzpatrick will be licking his chops.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;4008055]

Rex's system is teh fail without solid play in the secondary.[/QUOTE]

... and the secondary is teh fail without a pass rush.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The DL is where the Jets are really hurting. With Jenkins career at its end besides Devito the Jets DL average age is 30 plus years old. Ellis who has seen his best years and is in the twilight of his career, Pouha which is solid but not great plus is now at the other side of 30. hell trevor pryce is 35 years old. this DL is a wreck I know some guys will mention Gilbert but he is nothing more then a career backup. The Jets need to take a NT and a DE forget about anything else. Without fixing this Revis will look like any other CB in the NFL. not to mention teams will be running the Jets defense up the gut.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;4008055]Cromartie switched agents and probably is a goner. Edwards and Holmes bring more to the table. So let's stop mentioning Cro you guys..[/QUOTE]

i'm pretty sure he "switched" agents because his former one is currently dead. kinda different than just switching agents as a free agent.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off Cro is not a definite goner. If he is back...we have a good secondary.

Am I the only one who likes Brodney Pool for the Jets?? It always took some time in a new system and he seemed to make a lot of plays towards teh end of the seasona dn even a few in teh playoffs. He's cheap. I think he'll be back and if so it will be good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;4008088]i'm pretty sure he "switched" agents because his former one is [B]currently dead[/B]. kinda different than just switching agents as a free agent.[/QUOTE]

Will this change in the future?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4007947]Revis, cro and wilson were [B]1st round picks[/B]. Poole is a second rounder. That should be enough talent back there. We have other areas we need to address w our top picks.[/QUOTE]

So was Gholston.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... addressing passrush in the front 7 will improve performance of the secondary as well :yes: ...

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4008774]... addressing passrush in the front 7 will improve performance of the secondary as well :yes: ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]
    undoubtedly