Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Cam Heyward - Interview From Sirius Radio

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Cam Heyward - Interview From Sirius Radio

Adam Shein and Rich Gannon Just interviewed Can Heyward DE Ohio State

Cam Comments
    - understands it's an opportunity not a lifestyle

- he was questioned about pats/jets ... said it would be an honor to play for exciting teams that are the elite of the nfl

(when asked to describe his strongest assets)- he hustles all the time
    - brings a physicality to the postion
    - good agility and very quick when competing against the guards
    - smart player
    - loves to break down tape of up-coming opponents
    - adam shein added that he's a gym rat

(iron-head related)- he has to prove himself, not ride on dad's coat-tails & name recognition
    - losing dad was tough on the family but Cam has tried to take on many of the "father" responsibilities
    - it will be a great honor to go into dad's business of NFL football
    - he wants to leave the game better than where it was when he entered it
    - he had to convince dad of his dedication to the game in order to get his approval to play ... but once he did dad gave full support & pushed him to be the best he possibly could if this was his choice

(lockout related)- he has been in contact with former Ohio State players and will continue work out programs with them until lockouts are resolved

(health related)- had surgery on his elbow, feels that it is bionic now
    - hit a little rough patch not being able to go to the senior bowl or the combine ... but was able to show his progress at his proday on march 30th
    - he's completely healthy now & getting stronger every day with working out

(ohio state related)- he's graduating this quarter
    - still has prioritized getting his workouts in first
    - coach tressel has been great and a stand up guy there
    - he has learned it's important how you deal with adversity, that is what tressel is doing at ohio state now
    - he should definitely remain as head coach there
    - tressel played a big role in helping him mature as a man and a person
    - jim has as good of character as you can find in anyone

(misc)- happy to play either 3/4 or 4/3 ... whatever position the team wants to put him at
    - working with a bunch of other rookies in the "everything to prove" gatorade promotion
    - demarcus ware is a mentor and has been a good educator on nutrition and it's impact on his playing ability

Gannon's final comments on cam- high motor
    - great intensity
    - doesn't take plays off
    - whatever team gets him is getting a real gem

l_j_r

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll do cartwheels if we wind up with Heyward.

May have to move up 5 or so spots to make it happen though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to see Cam Heyward in the green and white but when i think of OSU defensive players, i can't help to think of Vern

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like Heyward is one of the "sure things" out of this year's first round pool. Agree with Untouchable. Would be delighted for him to fall to 30.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love Heyward and guarantee that he's not a bust. Only question is whether he'll be just a good player, or a great player.

Rooting for the QB's to go off the board so players like Heyward fall into striking distance. He'll play Ellis' position and rush the passer from the inside on passing downs. Heyward is a fantastic player that would really do a lot for the Jets, even in year 1.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If trading up for Cameron Jordan isn't a possibility then I will be hoping and praying that Cameron Heyward falls to 30. We need a DE and an OLB, but there are much better 34 DE's in this draft than there are 34 OLB's.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... anyone else trade our 3rd to move up with baltimore at 25 if heyward is on the board instead of waiting & hoping he lasts to 30? ...

27 atlanta - needs someone besides abe to generate pressure

28 pats - need OL 1st & a RB, but also need a pass rusher

... of course depending on how the board itself is looking at that point ... if kerrigan/clayborn/ayers/reed/etc. are all still on board i'd be much less likely to do so ... but ... if pats picked OL with pick 17 & have not traded pick 28 yet, and the board has fallen basically as most project & say heyward & reed are the only 2 DE's at that level left ... i pull the trigger on this ...

l_j_r
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 04-26-2011 at 01:52 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My draft chart would like this;

Trade up for Cam Jordan?

If no --> Jimmy Smith still available?

If no --> Draft Heyward?

If no --> trade down or suicide.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-26-2011 at 10:56 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... anyone else trade our 3rd to move up with baltimore at 25 if jordon is on the board instead of waiting & hoping he lasts to 30? ...

27 atlanta - needs someone besides abe to generate pressure

28 pats - need OL 1st & a RB, but also need a pass rusher

... of course depending on how the board itself is looking at that point ... if kerrigan/clayborn/ayers/reed/etc. are all still on board i'd be much less likely to do so ... but ... if pats picked OL with pick 17 & have not traded pick 28 yet, and the board has fallen basically as most project & say heyward & reed are the only 2 DE's at that level left ... i pull the trigger on this ...

l_j_r
    Hell yea I would! Jordan is a beast, if he by some stroke of divine luck was even available at 25 I'd do it in a heartbeat

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand why Heyward is flying under the radar like this- Kiper and crew are over reacting to the elbow injury. I am pretty confident that Heyward will go top 20 and is a much better prospect than Wilkerson. Even from brief youtube clips it's not hard to see how much Wilkerson gets pushed around at the line of scrimmage- he is entirely reliant on his athleticism to penetrate gaps and get in the backfield in the run game- something that won't be as easy at the pro level.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    The injury and inability to make a splash this off season is one reason, but another is he's not much of a pass rusher and no matter what anyone tells you, the first thing GM's look for when they look at DE's is can he get after the Quarterback, even the guys who are looking at 3-4 DE's would prefer guys who can get after the QB, thats why Wilkerson probably goes ahead of Heyward who is probably a better player than Wilkerson in every other reagrd.

Anyway thats how a guy like Heyward projects a bit later than he probably should project, or why the Jets do have a shot he might be there for them at 30
    But Heyward played a dominating bowl game even with the elbow injury. Personally, I think this "drop" is just a product of the media hype promoting combine performance over actual play on the field. Perhaps its scheme specific (or even down specific),but when I think of 3-4 ends I think about a player that controls the line of scrimmage and ties up blockers, allowing the players behind them to make plays unblocked.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Hell yea I would! Jordan is a beast, if he by some stroke of divine luck was even available at 25 I'd do it in a heartbeat

... lol ... sorry bro ... must have gotten my cam's confused ... i just edited it to cam heyward ... hope you still pull the trigger! ...

l_j_r

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Oh I agree, he is tailor-made for the 3-4 and I'll be thrilled if we draft him, I'm just trying to answer your question, why he's not more highly regarded, IMO its the injury and that he doesn't have the gaudy pass rush stats people look for.

I think he is a kid that can Develop his Passrushing skills.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    See he's the kind of guy who you look at and go "he really could be the next Richard Seymour."

He's also the kind of guy who's size and skillset could make you go "Oh, so he's really just a Kenyon Coleman clone with lighter skin and NFL blood in him?"

I think this board acknowledges that well enough, and really his little...intangibles...there's tangibles in there too but he really nails the intangible stuff...is what will make him a special player.