Thread: Does anyone have Cliff Matthews pro day results?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have Cliff Matthews pro day results?

I'm having a hard time finding them, he reminds me a bit of Mo Lewis.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "DE Cliff Matthews drew a lot of scouts the Lions' Jim Schwartz was the only head coach in Columbia for his position drills. The scouts also had Matthews run routes and catch passes at tight end, a position he played in high school.
    Let's just say Matthews likely will be sticking with defense."

"DE Cliff Matthews had perhaps the best workout of all of the team's pro prospects. Matthews improved on all of his athletic testing numbers from the Scouting Combine and generally showed an eagerness to do whatever he could to improve his draft stock. He worked out as an end, an outside linebacker and even as a tight end. And he did every drill with 100 percent effort. Matthews appears to be a solid mid-round pick next month."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but where are the times? He ran a 4.8 at the combine, not great, I want to know what he ran in his pro day. Not a big fan of the 40 as a determining factor, but supposedly he ran much better, how much better?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Yeah, but where are the times? He ran a 4.8 at the combine, not great, I want to know what he ran in his pro day. Not a big fan of the 40 as a determining factor, but supposedly he ran much better, how much better?
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=DE

Here ya go. His Pro-day 40 time was 4.78

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesangleton View Post
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=DE

Here ya go. His Pro-day 40 time was 4.78

Thanks, those are OK numbers for a guy that size, anything better would be great, remember we're not talking about a 6.2 220 pound LB, he's really a DE. He's supposed to be a bit stiff, but I don't care the guy hustles and is a good football player. Not a bad pick around the 5th round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you ever find yourself saying a player can be a decent backup, then the truly honest opinion is that he's garbage and probably won't be in the league for long.

And that's exactly where I stand on him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    If you ever find yourself saying a player can be a decent backup, then the truly honest opinion is that he's garbage and probably won't be in the league for long.

The league is littered with guys that and so is the hall of fame. Mike DeVito is a perfect example, that guy was not even supposed to be drafted. Same with Woodhead who became the Pats starter and a real weapon I might add.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

Sadly I have to +1 this. He's one of my favorite college players and an easy guy to root for, but it'd be more of a pleasant surprise if he made an impact in the league. He's not even the kind of guy who can go the Mark Anderson route.

OTOH, Sam Acho is the kind of guy who can come in, be a pass rusher for a year and thrive, and then float around as a backup for a while.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Sadly I have to +1 this. He's one of my favorite college players and an easy guy to root for, but it'd be more of a pleasant surprise if he made an impact in the league. He's not even the kind of guy who can go the Mark Anderson route.

OTOH, Sam Acho is the kind of guy who can come in, be a pass rusher for a year and thrive, and then float around as a backup for a while.

I really like Acho, I think he might be better than just a backup. I would love him in the 3rd.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    I really like Acho, I think he might be better than just a backup. I would love him in the 3rd.
    SLIK: I think Wilson is a far superior prospect and here is why:

Inside Linebacker | Illinois | JR Martez Wilson
    Height: 6-3 | Weight: 250 | 40-Time: 4.49

Official Bio

Strengths:
    Ideal height and bulk with long arms and rangy frame
    Explosive athlete with top speed, acceleration, burst
    Is active with excellent range and excels in pursuit
    Terrific blitzer who can bend off edge and run the arc
    Pretty physical and does not shy away from contact
    A powerful hitter and tackler who can lay the lumber
    Is strong with a rocked-up physique and potent hands
    Should offer both positional and schematic versatility
    A hard worker and leader respected by teammates
    Still has considerable untapped potential to develop

Weaknesses:
    Displays rather questionable instincts and awareness
    Can be too aggressive at times and miss some tackles
    Lacks top-notch agility and change of direction skills
    Hips are not fluid and struggles mightily in coverage
    Has trouble when forced to take on and shed blockers
    Some off-the-field incidents that must be checked out
    Battled injuries so health and durability are concerns

Notes:
    Essentially a two-year starter for the Fighting Illini and also served as a team captain --- Named 2nd Team All-Big Ten in 2010 --- Was a highly touted prep recruit with scholarship offers from all the big-time programs --- Served a one game suspension in 2008 for a violation of team rules --- Underwent surgery for stab wounds sustained while helping a teammate during a bar fight in December of 2008 --- Suffered a neck injury (herniated disc) in 2009 opener and missed remainder of the season --- Overcame a rough upbringing where he never had a stable home --- Part of same graduating class at Simeon High School in Chicago as NBA star Derrick Rose of the Bulls --- Could project to either outside or inside linebacker at the next level and played both during time in Champaign --- Best fit might ultimately come as a pass rusher in an odd front --- A very intriguing prospect with a rare blend of size and speed --- A better athlete than football player who doesn't always perform up to impressive workout numbers but upside is undeniable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics
    Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
    2007 13 29 3.0 2.0 1 0
    2008 11 73 5.5 3.0 3 0
    2009 1 9 0.0 0.0 0 0
    2010 13 112 11.5 4.0 4 1
    Totals 38 223 20.0 9.0 8 1

If we can not get Wilkerson, Wilson will be a JET IMHO!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    SLIK: I think Wilson is a far superior prospect and here is why:

Inside Linebacker | Illinois | JR Martez Wilson

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 250 | 40-Time: 4.49

Official Bio

Strengths:
    Ideal height and bulk with long arms and rangy frame
    Explosive athlete with top speed, acceleration, burst
    Is active with excellent range and excels in pursuit
    Terrific blitzer who can bend off edge and run the arc
    Pretty physical and does not shy away from contact
    A powerful hitter and tackler who can lay the lumber
    Is strong with a rocked-up physique and potent hands
    Should offer both positional and schematic versatility
    A hard worker and leader respected by teammates
    Still has considerable untapped potential to develop

Weaknesses:
    Displays rather questionable instincts and awareness
    Can be too aggressive at times and miss some tackles
    Lacks top-notch agility and change of direction skills
    Hips are not fluid and struggles mightily in coverage
    Has trouble when forced to take on and shed blockers
    Some off-the-field incidents that must be checked out
    Battled injuries so health and durability are concerns

Notes:
    Essentially a two-year starter for the Fighting Illini and also served as a team captain --- Named 2nd Team All-Big Ten in 2010 --- Was a highly touted prep recruit with scholarship offers from all the big-time programs --- Served a one game suspension in 2008 for a violation of team rules --- Underwent surgery for stab wounds sustained while helping a teammate during a bar fight in December of 2008 --- Suffered a neck injury (herniated disc) in 2009 opener and missed remainder of the season --- Overcame a rough upbringing where he never had a stable home --- Part of same graduating class at Simeon High School in Chicago as NBA star Derrick Rose of the Bulls --- Could project to either outside or inside linebacker at the next level and played both during time in Champaign --- Best fit might ultimately come as a pass rusher in an odd front --- A very intriguing prospect with a rare blend of size and speed --- A better athlete than football player who doesn't always perform up to impressive workout numbers but upside is undeniable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics
    Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
    2007 13 29 3.0 2.0 1 0
    2008 11 73 5.5 3.0 3 0
    2009 1 9 0.0 0.0 0 0
    2010 13 112 11.5 4.0 4 1
    Totals 38 223 20.0 9.0 8 1

If we can not get Wilkerson, Wilson will be a JET IMHO!

Yeah KJ, but Wilson is a borderline first round talent while Acho is seen more as a third round value. I'm thinking Acho if we pass on OLB with the 30th.