Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: OLB- With the 30th overall pick the NYJ select...

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    i honestly think from a "Bang for your Buck" perspective, Chris Carter is better than Ayers and Reed. You get more from him in the 2nd/3rd and we're better off taking a Taylor, Watkins, Smith, some other position.

    Ayers and Reed don't scream rnd 1 talent at all.
    Carter's got an NFL name and I don't even mind that he's undersized...but overall I'm not all that impressed.

    My faith in Ayers has grown exponentially as time has gone by. Literally the only thing he could do to make him more appealing is be more of a badass. If he was more of a badass, he probably wouldn't be there at 30 (sadly, still probably won't)...hell if he was more of a badass he might be getting Arrington comparisons minus the on field discipline problems...that's probably too far but w/e...close enough.

    I really think you underrate the crap out of Ayers, though I can understand why...I did it at one point too. Amongst the guys who can athletically handle the 3-4 OLB position I think he offers the best combination of things that can actually be described as football skills. He's got the potential to be an all around playmaker, which in our search for THE pass rusher gets naturally underrated...That and on the field he just gives a damn more than most guys with his kind of talent.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-26-2011 at 03:27 PM.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,968
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Carter's got an NFL name and I don't even mind that he's undersized...but overall I'm not all that impressed.

    My faith in Ayers has grown exponentially as time has gone by. Literally the only thing he could do to make him more appealing is be more of a badass. If he was more of a badass, he probably wouldn't be there at 30 (sadly, still probably won't)...hell if he was more of a badass he might be getting Arrington comparisons minus the on field discipline problems...that's probably too far but w/e...close enough.

    I really think you underrate the crap out of Ayers, though I can understand why...I did it at one point too. Amongst the guys who can athletically handle the 3-4 OLB position I think he offers the best combination of things that can actually be described as football skills. He's got the potential to be an all around playmaker, which in our search for THE pass rusher gets naturally underrated...That and on the field he just gives a damn more than most guys with his kind of talent.
    at the NFL level running game, Ayers will get beat to the edge often. that's the trade off. his straight speed to the edge isn't there.

  3. #23
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    18,646
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Clinkscales and Tannenbaum both stated that the #1 trait that their looking for in an OLB is the ability to get after the QB.

    That leads me to believe that they would favor guys like Houston and Reed over someone like Akeem Ayers, who is more of a jack of all trades kind of guy.
    He's a jack of all trades kind of guy because he can be, not because his pass rushing skills are any worse than a guy like Brooks Reed. JMO anyway.

    I spent my insomniac hours this morning watching Ayers and Reed. I'm more convinced than ever that Ayers is simply on a different tier than Reed. Granted, I wouldn't dislike having Reed on my team - just not at the 30th spot.

    Justin Houston? I really don't know what to think about him, but he scares me.

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    at the NFL level running game, Ayers will get beat to the edge often. that's the trade off. his straight speed to the edge isn't there.
    True, but where he should excel is against the pass...which is exactly what this team needs...in multiple facets too...not just being able to blitz.

  5. #25
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    True, but where he should excel is against the pass...which is exactly what this team needs...in multiple facets too...not just being able to blitz.
    Exactly, he can be a three down linebacker from day one while other prospects will probably be only used to rush the passer until they figure out how to cover (if ever).

  6. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFever06 View Post
    Justin Houston , Akeem Ayers or Brooks Reed ? I might be from the minority but I really like Justin Houston , he has really good upside and is younger then both.
    I'd be happy with Reed or Ayers.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchise View Post
    I'd be happy with Reed or Ayers.
    Houston failed his combine drug test. So did Ballard.
    Last edited by Tucsonpaint; 04-26-2011 at 08:35 PM.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Carter's got an NFL name and I don't even mind that he's undersized...but overall I'm not all that impressed.

    My faith in Ayers has grown exponentially as time has gone by. Literally the only thing he could do to make him more appealing is be more of a badass. If he was more of a badass, he probably wouldn't be there at 30 (sadly, still probably won't)...hell if he was more of a badass he might be getting Arrington comparisons minus the on field discipline problems...that's probably too far but w/e...close enough.

    I really think you underrate the crap out of Ayers, though I can understand why...I did it at one point too. Amongst the guys who can athletically handle the 3-4 OLB position I think he offers the best combination of things that can actually be described as football skills. He's got the potential to be an all around playmaker, which in our search for THE pass rusher gets naturally underrated...That and on the field he just gives a damn more than most guys with his kind of talent.
    I don't underrate him, but i definitely understand why you'd get that impression. You said it. He's not badass. Couldn't have put it better myself. He's got no dawg in him.

    I don't care about his pass coverage skills, or how fluid he is, or how he's better than average at 10 different things, but excellent at none of them. I just don't care. My wish list at OLB includes a quarterback killer, not another Bryan Thomas. What i see when i watch Ayers, is a guy who doesn't show great burst, doesn't have a good closing speed, and gets lost in his blocks. Those are the particulars I'm looking at.

    if we're gonna spend a first rnd pick on OLB to rush the passer, then GOD DAMMIT, he better be able to. I don't see it in Ayers' game.

    (thats just the way i'm looking at him, doesn't mean it's the right way)
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-26-2011 at 08:41 PM.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not badass. Couldn't have put it better myself. He's got no dawg in him.
    See I don't think that's one and the same...You can not be a badass and still have a ton of fight in you. Moreso than any of the legit DE/OLB prospects in this draft, Ayers plays like he gives a damn. Even when he's not directly involved in the play he'll show up somehow, he's a player that is always moving.

    I think he's the kind of guy who ends up being a pro's pro. Same thing for Cam Heyward, who I put in the same class of prospect. Neither guy is really a badass in the loud and alpha kind of way, but their play on the field play is mostly on point with tons of little things that makes it a little easier to bet money that they'll improve their games.

    The rest I guess is legit...I had the same questions about his ability to pass rush but for the most part I feel like I've answered that question about him. Playing strength is a conditioning and training thing...a good organization could handle that.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    See I don't think that's one and the same...You can not be a badass and still have a ton of fight in you. Moreso than any of the legit DE/OLB prospects in this draft, Ayers plays like he gives a damn. Even when he's not directly involved in the play he'll show up somehow, he's a player that is always moving. .
    When i said dawg, i don't mean fight, I'm talking Tyson "I'll bite yo ear off son" attitude.

    You're right about the rest. He'd be dream come true for a team like CLE, or DET - a defensive "field general" of sorts, like Farrior. I want a harrison or woodley though. "I've got a fever, and the only prescription is crippling your quarterback".
    That's what i want from an OLB drafted for the NY Jets in rnd 1, otherwise we got other directions we could go. Watkins. Williams. Rudolf. trade back if Heywards gone would be great of course.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Clinkscales and Tannenbaum both stated that the #1 trait that their looking for in an OLB is the ability to get after the QB.

    That leads me to believe that they would favor guys like Houston and Reed over someone like Akeem Ayers, who is more of a jack of all trades kind of guy.
    Anyone that watches film can see that Houston doesn't have the fire you need to be a great defensive player. After recently being burned by a similar player, with all the athletic tools, but without football desire, there is no way Tanny will fall into the Justin Houston trap.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Justin Houston

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feen for Akeem Ayers. This kid is the real deal.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us