Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: OLB- With the 30th overall pick the NYJ select...

  1. #1

    OLB- With the 30th overall pick the NYJ select...

    Justin Houston , Akeem Ayers or Brooks Reed ? I might be from the minority but I really like Justin Houston , he has really good upside and is younger then both.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFever06 View Post
    Justin Houston , Akeem Ayers or Brooks Reed ? I might be from the minority but I really like Justin Houston , he has really good upside and is younger then both.
    I prefer Reed. I think he has the least upside, but is the safest pick and would probably be able to produce right away. I think Houston is the biggest risk, and watching his films he reminds me too much of Gholston, with the lack of fire and desire to stick his nose in the pile.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I prefer Reed. I think he has the least upside, but is the safest pick and would probably be able to produce right away. I think Houston is the biggest risk, and watching his films he reminds me too much of Gholston, with the lack of fire and desire to stick his nose in the pile.
    agree with 99 about Houston

    would be happy with Reed, Ayers or Wilkerson

  4. #4
    Give me the OLB with experience standing up and playing in coverage. There's more to being an OLB than just getting to the passer. I want Ayers badly. He can be plugged in right away and be our teams best cover-OLB. This is crucial for playing against teams with beast TE's like NE. Plus, he's still a good pass rusher, he was just asked to play in space by UCLA's defense. In fact, Mayock thinks his best quality is pass rushing ability.

    I'm intrigued by Houston's pass rush ability, but when he was asked to play in space at Georgia, it wasn't pretty. Reed isn't a first round talent. If he didn't look like Clay Matthews, he'd be a mid-second round prospect. Give me Ayers.

  5. #5
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,286
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFever06 View Post
    Justin Houston , Akeem Ayers or Brooks Reed ? I might be from the minority but I really like Justin Houston , he has really good upside and is younger then both.
    Akeem Ayers is 21. How much younger do you want'em?

  6. #6
    Ayers is the youngest...

    Reed's age concerns me because physically he's not going to get much stronger/faster.

    Problem with Houston is that he doesn't show enough want-to. Doesn't show that burning desire to make an impact on every play.


    Ayers I like the most.

    But I'm still gonna be begging for us to somehow end up with Heyward, who I like the most. Obviously not OLB, but still helps the team out.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeZiTe View Post
    Give me the OLB with experience standing up and playing in coverage. There's more to being an OLB than just getting to the passer. I want Ayers badly. He can be plugged in right away and be our teams best cover-OLB. This is crucial for playing against teams with beast TE's like NE. Plus, he's still a good pass rusher, he was just asked to play in space by UCLA's defense. In fact, Mayock thinks his best quality is pass rushing ability.

    I'm intrigued by Houston's pass rush ability, but when he was asked to play in space at Georgia, it wasn't pretty. Reed isn't a first round talent. If he didn't look like Clay Matthews, he'd be a mid-second round prospect. Give me Ayers.
    Ayers brings the most utility to the Jets and from many accounts he's a fine passrusher

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,650
    after watching highlight videos of reed and ayers, i vote ayers, and it's not even close.

    reed's "highlights" are all either him not being blocked or a broken play on offense. he's not doing anything impressive to get to the qb. just right place, right time.

    but ayers looks great. he's constantly beating OL much bigger than him with spin, bullrush, you name it. he's using his speed to get around the OL. he appears to have great vision. i'm sold.

  9. #9
    the Jets would probably happily take any of these players. looking at their offseason interest... NYJ preference is probably Ayers, Houston, Martez Wilson and then Brooks Reed. I personally have Reed higher on the list but I think the Jets want to avoid another DE to OLB conversion in rd1. Obviously they would love to have their cake and eat it too...trade back and take their OLB in early rd2 than late rd1.

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,257
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    But I'm still gonna be begging for us to somehow end up with Heyward, who I like the most. Obviously not OLB, but still helps the team out.

    ... do you give up our 3rd to move up and get him? ...


    ... i do ...










    l_j_r

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    after watching highlight videos of reed and ayers, i vote ayers, and it's not even close.

    reed's "highlights" are all either him not being blocked or a broken play on offense. he's not doing anything impressive to get to the qb. just right place, right time.

    but ayers looks great. he's constantly beating OL much bigger than him with spin, bullrush, you name it. he's using his speed to get around the OL. he appears to have great vision. i'm sold.
    +1.

    I wasn't sold on him originally but, having watched all of these guys on tape, Ayers is head and shoulders above the rest.

    Houston? Great take off speed, but very variable effort and often looks clueless when not just rushing from the outside. Looks pretty terrible playing in reverse and reading run keys.

    Reed? Great effort and hustle, but looks very stiff and not great sack numbers for a guy who did little but rush the passer in college. His "less talented" team-mate Ricky Elmore actually produced more than Reed, without the benefit of Reed's speed and Clay Matthew's style hair.

    Ayers? Not as stout as I would like at times at the POA, but has great speed and quickness, can cover, rush and has a great ability to sort through trash, avoid blocks and make the tackle. Clearly the best all-round OLB of the bunch, with unpolished upside as a pass-rusher with his speed and athletic ability.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    +1.

    I wasn't sold on him originally but, having watched all of these guys on tape, Ayers is head and shoulders above the rest.

    Houston? Great take off speed, but very variable effort and often looks clueless when not just rushing from the outside. Looks pretty terrible playing in reverse and reading run keys.

    Reed? Great effort and hustle, but looks very stiff and not great sack numbers for a guy who did little but rush the passer in college. His "less talented" team-mate Ricky Elmore actually produced more than Reed, without the benefit of Reed's speed and Clay Matthew's style hair.

    Ayers? Not as stout as I would like at times at the POA, but has great speed and quickness, can cover, rush and has a great ability to sort through trash, avoid blocks and make the tackle. Clearly the best all-round OLB of the bunch, with unpolished upside as a pass-rusher with his speed and athletic ability.
    Completely agreed with this.. Ayers has the most potential too.. I feel that if he was asked to rush the passer more at UCLA he would be a much higher pick. Of course, he's not completely polished as he tends to miss some tackles, but you're not going to get a perfect player at pick 30.. His upside is enormous and I think he'd flourish in Rex's system. I think he's really going to be a steal if we can get him at 30. I'd even look to trade up to 25 to get him ahead of Baltimore and New England. I'd also do that for Heyward. If we can come away with either of them, I'd be psyched. But as of right now, Ayers is the guy that I want.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    i honestly think from a "Bang for your Buck" perspective, Chris Carter is better than Ayers and Reed. You get more from him in the 2nd/3rd and we're better off taking a Taylor, Watkins, Smith, some other position.

    Ayers and Reed don't scream rnd 1 talent at all.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    i honestly think from a "Bang for your Buck" perspective, Chris Carter is better than Ayers and Reed.

    I really like Chris Carter. But he's 240, those others are like 260 or more. Carter might actually be better in a 4-3 situation. and unlike Ayers he's also an LB convert.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I really like Chris Carter. But he's 240, those others are like 260 or more. Carter might actually be better in a 4-3 situation. and unlike Ayers he's also an LB convert.
    Don't undersell him now, he's closer to 250. it's only 10 lbs, but makes a difference. I think he's exactly what you want at 3-4 OLB in passing downs. who knows, we'll see where his p.cover skills sit, but we know the man can do one thing right, and thats fck up quarterbacks.

    Personally, I don't think the gap between Ayers & Carter is nearly as wide as it would be at other positions (say Guard, Corner)

  16. #16
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,257
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeZiTe View Post
    I'd even look to trade up to 25 to get him ahead of Baltimore and New England. I'd also do that for Heyward. If we can come away with either of them, I'd be psyched. But as of right now, Ayers is the guy that I want.


    ... ... awesome stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... ...










    l_j_r

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,394
    Clinkscales and Tannenbaum both stated that the #1 trait that their looking for in an OLB is the ability to get after the QB.

    That leads me to believe that they would favor guys like Houston and Reed over someone like Akeem Ayers, who is more of a jack of all trades kind of guy.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Clinkscales and Tannenbaum both stated that the #1 trait that their looking for in an OLB is the ability to get after the QB.

    That leads me to believe that they would favor guys like Houston and Reed over someone like Akeem Ayers, who is more of a jack of all trades kind of guy.
    Ayers has 14 career sacks... right in there with Houston (16) and Reed (15).

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Ayers has 14 career sacks... right in there with Houston (16) and Reed (15).
    Let's not count out Jabaal Sheard who has more career sacks than the aforementioned players. There is absolutely no link between the Jets and Sheard. No meetings, workouts... nothing. For some reason I think that is who they are targeting. remember these last days are the "misinformation" days. All you see is Phil Taylor, Brooks Reed or Akeem Ayers. How is it that every OLB/DE has had some sort of contact with the Jets but him. He is a high motor, intense guy. I'm calling it. He will be the first pick. Book it!

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Justin Houston (DE, Georgia)

    Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
    Justin Houston has never been projected as a top 10 pick, but he has consistently been placed in the first round throughout the draft process.

    However, he has seen his name come up as a "faller" as of late and there is a chance he could fall out of the first round.

    Houston has yet to assert himself as either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB, thus putting him in the dreaded tweener category.

    Chad Reuter, a senior analyst at NFL Draft Scout recently listed Justin Houston as one of the fallers in this draft on his weekly chat on CBS Sports and had this to say about him,

    "He reminds me a lot of Vernon Gholston, when he came out of Ohio State. Right now, he looks more like an athlete than a football. He could go anywhere from 20 to Tampa Bay to the mid-40s."

    For months now, Houston has likely expected that he would hear his name called on the first day of the draft, however, Houston falling to the second round is now a distinct possibility


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Outside Linebacker | UCLA | JR Akeem Ayers
    Height: 6-2 | Weight: 254 | 40-Time: 4.72

    Official Bio

    Strengths:
    Ideal height and bulk w/ long arms and large frame
    Athletic with great play speed, agility and balance
    Excellent blitzer who can bend off edge and run arc
    Covers lots of ground with sideline-to-sideline range
    Does terrific job in pursuit and has a burst to close
    Fluid in coverage with superb hands and ball skills
    Able to deliver the big hit and knock the ball loose
    Versatile and capable of fitting in multiple schemes
    Nice intangibles and displayed some leadership skills
    Not a finished product and still has immense potential
    Productive with good deal of high-quality experience

    Weaknesses:
    Does not possess top-notch instincts or awareness
    Is not very strong and doesn't play with much power
    Average quickness and acceleration and not explosive
    Will have to develop additional moves and counters
    Some issues with taking on / disengaging from blocks
    Isn't a reliable tackler and showed bad form at times
    Effort against the run leaves something to be desired
    An inconsistent motor and seemingly lacks intensity

    Notes:
    A two-year starter and team captain for the Bruins --- Named 1st Team All-Pac-10 in 2010 --- A finalist for the Butkus Award (nation's top college linebacker) in 2010 --- Forced seven fumbles during college career --- Played the strongside in college but also saw some action at defensive end --- Could project to either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme at the next level --- Best fit might come rushing the passer off the edge in an odd front --- Solid all-around player with a well-rounded game and an intriguing physical skill set as well as a knack for making the big play.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Career Statistics
    Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
    2007 RS - - - - -
    2008 12 40 5.0 4.0 3 0
    2009 13 75 14.5 6.0 3 4
    2010 12 68 10.0 4.0 4 2
    Totals 37 183 29.5 14.0 11 6
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 04-26-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us