Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Why?

[B]What? No Easter Greeting?[/B]

by Keith Koffler on April 25, 2011, 11:11 am

Just when I thought the current team running the White House might have used up all its allotted mistakes comes word that President Obama failed to issue either either an Easter or a Good Friday greeting to the nation.
    Now, letís forget for a moment that these greetings, which presidents issue on many holidays and commemorations of events, are largely perfunctory and symbolic gestures that nobody cares about.
    Until thereís a problem with them.
    Fox News[URL="http://nation.foxnews.com/president-obama/2011/04/25/wh-fails-release-easter-proclamation#ixzz1KXV4dczO"] first caught the blunder[/URL] and put it into context that makes the omission insulting to Christians. The mistake is odd enough to call into question just what Obamaís priorities are.
    [INDENT]By comparison, the White House has released statements recognizing the observance of major Muslim holidays and released statements in 2010 on Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr, Hajj, and Eid-ul-Adha.
    The White House . . . did release an eight-paragraph statement heralding Earth Day. Likewise, the presidentís weekend address mentioned neither Good Friday or Easter.[/INDENT]Obama, Fox notes, did head out to church yesterday and held an Easter prayer breakfast at the White House last week.
    Obama is on a roll for religious holiday greeting screw ups. Fox News writes:
    [INDENT]In 2010, Obama was criticized for releasing an all-inclusive Easter greeting. He reached out to Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and people of no faith at all in a statement about a holiday that is uniquely Christian.[/INDENT]And as I [URL="http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2011/04/22/president-obamas-passover-insult/"]noted last week[/URL], the president released a Passover greeting this month that compared the ancient Jewish exodus from Egypt to the Arab political awakening this year, which would be a beautiful thing if most Arabs didnít seek Israelís destruction.
    The president is, of course, hosting the Easter Egg Roll at the White House today. But Easter isnít really about rolling eggs on a manicured lawn, now is it?
    [URL]http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2011/04/25/easter-greeting/[/URL]

...and chuckles from the press secretary when asked about it

[URL]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/04/25/whs_carney_laughs_off_obama_not_giving_easter_statement.html[/URL]

any idea why?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/countyfair/waroneaster.jpg[/IMG]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    20-1 says that you're referred to as a birther at some point in this thread...

The topic will veer off extremely early in the discussion, if it's responded to at all and of course it will be downplayed as a 'well, he's been an active church-goer for decades and I don't see an issue with not addressing an exclusive community of Christians when there are three wars going on. He has a lot on his plate, etc... etc... etc...'

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4008609]

any idea why?[/QUOTE]

The President..acted stupidly?

:dunno:

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4008619]20-1 says that you're referred to as a birther at some point in this thread...

[/QUOTE]
    amongst other choice phrases I'm sure ;)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    In making these types of Religious Dy Observance Pronouncements, the President appears to be favoring (i.e. making, and making more loudly via the non-Fox media) those of an Islamic stripe.

If giving the benefit of the doubt, it may simply be PR to Islam (both radical and the masses) to portray the U.S. as more Islamic-friendly than we may have appeared (to they of Islam) in the past.

I can't attribute more to it that that, as anything more starts veering into Conspiracy Theory land, fun place to visit, scary place to live.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Mebbe he's letting that "Gate crashers" Social Secretary (the one who seats herself at State Dinners) run things again?

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4008622]The President..acted stupidly?

:dunno:

-[/QUOTE]
    nope, not that simple, the great appeaser is not a stupid man

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]One of the things that's a "thing" today is that people, driven by a Fox Nation story, are complaining about the Obama White House's failure to issue a proclamation about Easter. The White House, of course, hosted an Easter Egg Roll, and the president also hosted an Easter-themed prayer breakfast, at which he said this:

"I wanted to host this breakfast for a simple reason -- because as busy as we are, as many tasks as pile up, during this season, we are reminded that there's something about the resurrection -- something about the resurrection of our savior, Jesus Christ, that puts everything else in perspective.

"We all live in the hustle and bustle of our work... But then comes Holy Week. The triumph of Palm Sunday. The humility of Jesus washing the disciples' feet. His slow march up that hill, and the pain and the scorn and the shame of the cross. And we're reminded that in that moment, he took on the sins of the world -- past, present and future -- and he extended to us that unfathomable gift of grace and salvation through his death and resurrection.

"In the words of the book Isaiah: "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."

"This magnificent grace, this expansive grace, this 'Amazing Grace' calls me to reflect. And it calls me to pray. It calls me to ask God for forgiveness for the times that I've not shown grace to others, those times that I've fallen short. It calls me to praise God for the gift of our son -- his Son and our Savior."

But see, none of that counts, because we didn't have a "proclamation", a tweet from @presssec reminding us about the holiday, or a fundraising letter from Jim Messina that read: "He is risen -- to donate the legal maximum amount for the Obama/Biden re-election campaign!" (White House Press Secretary Jay Carney actually had to field a question on this at today's White House press briefing, [URL="http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/04/25/war_on_easter"]to which he responded: "LOL.[/URL]")

[B]Of course, lost amid this nonsense, which Washington Monthly's Steve Benen calls a "[URL="http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2011_04/029113.php"]garbage story[/URL]," is the fact that Obama's predecessor [URL="http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/proclamations/"]didn't "proclaim" anything Easter-related either[/URL]. Had Obama issued an Easter proclamation, it would have been [URL="http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/38447_Wingnut_Fail_of_the_Day-_Obama_Didnt_Proclaim_Easter_%28But_Neither_Has_Any_Other_President%29"]the first time since at least 1980 that a president had done so[/URL].[/B]

Still, one can never underestimate the amazing value of a presidential proclamation. Three years ago today, for example, [URL="http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=77184#axzz1KZUCccRL"]President George W. Bush issued a proclamation in support of Malaria Awareness Day, [/URL]which is why we are all now totally aware of malaria.[/QUOTE]

don't let this get in the way of a good story... carry on :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-26-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I was stonewalled on several European appointments last Friday; apparently Easter is solemnly observed there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh NO!!!
    Its the War on Easter!!!

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4009140]don't let this get in the way of a good story... carry on :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

So you're saying this is yet another Bush policy that Jug Head is continuing?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares? We are going down the tube with a real fiscal crisis have troops in 2 active wars, Iraq is far from secure and you're worried about the President acknowledging your personal Easter experience.

It would have been nice but it's chicken **** in the grand scheme.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4009140]don't let this get in the way of a good story... carry on :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=kennyo7;4009171]Oh NO!!!
    Its the War on Easter!!![/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE]
    By comparison, the White House has released statements recognizing the observance of major Muslim holidays and released statements in 2010 on Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr, Hajj, and Eid-ul-Adha.
    The White House . . . did release an eight-paragraph statement heralding Earth Day. Likewise, the presidentís weekend address mentioned neither Good Friday or Easter.

[/QUOTE]

by all means carry on :rolleyes:

as to Tyler's quote, not attributed to anyone btw, the story is not being "driven" by FOX, it seems FOX and the ex-Times reporter I quoted are the only willing to mention it. I know that must seem shocking to the usual suspects due to the fact that the mainstream media is always so willing to report on all events BO related.

hahahahaha, excuse will I dry my eyes from tears of laughter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine came back from teaching his high school class complaining that there were teenagers in his class who actually believed in vampires. He thought this was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard and another example of the wretched ignorance of youth. Meanwhile he was headed to church the following Sunday to worship and give praise for the resurrection of Jesus Christ, to drink his blood and eat of his flesh. That, in a nutshell, is the state of religion. I prefer Easter bunnies...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4009181]A friend of mine came back from teaching his high school class complaining that there were teenagers in his class who actually believed in vampires. He thought this was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard and another example of the wretched ignorance of youth. Meanwhile he was headed to church the following Sunday to worship and give praise for the resurrection of Jesus Christ, to drink his blood and eat of his flesh. That, in a nutshell, is the state of religion. I prefer Easter bunnies...[/QUOTE]
    another predictable spin/attack

it's almost like the left scripts it's response to anything remotely controversial...the rest should be checking in shortly

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4009174]Who cares? We are going down the tube with a real fiscal crisis have troops in 2 active wars, Iraq is far from secure and you're worried about the President acknowledging your personal Easter experience.

It would have been nice but it's chicken **** in the grand scheme.[/QUOTE]
    This is not personal whether or not anyone here believes it, aside from the fact that I am personally angry at my Presdient for any multitude of reasons.

The only thing that is "chicken ****" is the fact that this guy trips over his dick to suck the balls of people who despise us why delibrately insulting those who love this country. This isn't so much about Easter as it is about what is no longer a symptom but a practice by this president.

Change you can believe in.

hahahahaha

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4009183][B]This is not personal whether or not anyone here believes it, aside from the fact that I am personally angry at my Presdient for any multitude of reasons.[/B]
    The only thing that is "chicken ****" is the fact that this guy trips over his dick to suck the balls of people who despise us why delibrately insulting those who love this country. This isn't so much about Easter as it is about what is no longer a symptom but a practice by this president.

Change you can believe in.

hahahahaha[/QUOTE]

Thank goodness I thought it was personal. :D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4009184]Thank goodness I thought it was personal. :D[/QUOTE]
    lol...that was pretty poorly constructed. I meant the Easter subject, not the fact that I personally dislike BO. :coffee:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4009186]lol...that was pretty poorly constructed. I meant the Easter subject, not the fact that I personally dislike BO. :coffee:[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it, thanks for the laugh. :D