Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    POSSIBLY.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    no surprise- in the end the owners don't care if they play 2011 under the 2010 uncapped rules....the value of the 1st pick just went into the sh!tter even further...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, can the teams contact the players now? And can there be trades on draft day?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. The owners will appeal and things will remain the same as they are now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WeeZiTe;4008802]No. The owners will appeal and things will remain the same as they are now.[/QUOTE]

That's only true if the Judge or the Appellate Court grants a stay which is unlikely.

The Judge just held that the NFL was essentialy engaging in illegal activity. The Court likely won't permit the NFL to continue to act illegally while an appeal is pending.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4008816]The Court likely won't permit the NFL to continue to act illegally while an appeal is pending.[/QUOTE]

Ding ding.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4008816]That's only true if the Judge or the Appellate Court grants a stay which is unlikely.

The Judge just held that the NFL was essentialy engaging in illegal activity. The Court likely won't permit the NFL to continue to act illegally while an appeal is pending.[/QUOTE]

correct....the Panthers can start negotiating with Cam Newton and marcel dareus right now....problem is the top pick is going to get $65mill w/$35mill guaranteed....players can now be traded this weekend....

if there's a hint of collusion by the owners the players will go crazy in court...players still have a big problem as now FA does not start until after 6 years and there are a lot of 5th year players who signed one year deals for 2010 hoping for a big FA payday....

the owners have issues but the players are close to mutiny...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should be interesting to see if owners allow their GM's to re-sign/sign free agents.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;4008838]correct....the Panthers can start negotiating with Cam Newton and marcel dareus right now....problem is the top pick is going to get $65mill w/$35mill guaranteed....players can now be traded this weekend....

if there's a hint of collusion by the owners the players will go crazy in court...players still have a big problem as now FA does not start until after 6 years and there are a lot of 5th year players who signed one year deals for 2010 hoping for a big FA payday....

the owners have issues but the players are close to mutiny...[/QUOTE]

CBNY -- Would Newton's (or Dareus's) contract be 4 years per the new proposed rookie wage scale compromise or would it be 6 since everything is in limbo right now?

Even if the wage scale isn't in place, $35MM guaranteed is still an improvement from Bradford's $50MM guaranteed, no?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4008816]That's only true if the Judge or the Appellate Court grants a stay which is unlikely.

The Judge just held that the NFL was essentialy engaging in illegal activity. The Court likely won't permit the NFL to continue to act illegally while an appeal is pending.[/QUOTE]

Everything I've read makes it seem like a stay is likely. If Judge Nelson and the Appeals Court deny a stay, then we should celebrate because then the owners will be pretty much forced to settle on player-favorable terms so that the players don't go after even more.

This is still a step in the right direction, we just don't know how far yet. Just pray that the stay isn't granted because then it will end this sooner rather than later.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Theorectally, can't teams sign players right now?! If so, it could be possible that we see a flurry (more likely a trickle) of signings until the stay is granted. I wonder if wink-wink handshake deals that were made once this all started will start coming to fruition.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Schefter Twitter:
    From antitrust attorney in know. RT @JasonLReimer: If I were a player, I'd show up tomorrow at team facilities to argue for workout bonuses.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;4008918]Adam Schefter Twitter:
    From antitrust attorney in know. RT @JasonLReimer: If I were a player, I'd show up tomorrow at team facilities to argue for workout bonuses.[/QUOTE]

VERY interesting. This could get ugly fast. :eek: :(

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if Tannenbaum has traded anyone today?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the NFL will lose any appeal & ultimately this battle.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4008940]I wonder if Tannenbaum has traded anyone today?[/QUOTE]

If anyone would do something during this period of indecision, it'd be Mikey T! :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4008896]Theorectally, can't teams sign players right now?! If so, it could be possible that we see a flurry (more likely a trickle) of signings until the stay is granted. I wonder if wink-wink handshake deals that were made once this all started will start coming to fruition.[/QUOTE]

theoretically they can but are unlikely to....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rexipus Rex;4008876]CBNY -- Would Newton's (or Dareus's) contract be 4 years per the new proposed rookie wage scale compromise or would it be 6 since everything is in limbo right now?

Even if the wage scale isn't in place, $35MM guaranteed is still an improvement from Bradford's $50MM guaranteed, no?[/QUOTE]

i just said $35mill guaranteed- but its' likely to be more....i see no way any potential rookie wage scale in a CBA still to be determined has any effect on contracts written before the negotiations of the CBA are complete, hence "no" to your question....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    So do we just repeat last year? The only downside is that there is no reason to negotiate a long term deal until next year and we will be in the same spot...No?