Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question for the "experts" that scout players here:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since you asked, I certainly don't think Reed is a top ten pick, or even necessarily, a first round pick. I do think, especially at OLB rushing the QB in the right system, he will blow up once in the league and, ala McShay, people will be asking why wasn't that guy a top ten pick? Reed had an OK college career, good enough to get him voted first team all Pac-10 by the Pac-10 coaches, but obviously no double digit sack seasons. Reed was there in a 4-3system to put pressure on the QB---sack or not, contain and play the run. He obviously did that well enough to be recognized by the coaches. My personal opinion is that if he gets to play for a 3-4 team that lets him mainly rush the QB, without having to first deal with a LT and a double team, he will only do better.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    absolutely crash, if were Kerrigan or Reed's agent, rather these players end up in 4-3 systems... easier to contribute

Karl Klug is a nice gritty sleeper, in 2 or 3 years could be another Devito (or Matt Kroul)

this is why I don't think Rex needs Phil taylor by the way. He can take Karl Klug, store him on the psquad for 3 years and turn him into a decent player.

I dont' think he can do that with pass rushing LB or cornerbacks
    See, I think Matt Kroul is the perfect example of a high motor guy who is limited in skill that Rex can't turn into anything other than an almost-JAG, no matter how hard a) Matt works or b) Rex tries. He's simply not good enough.

Kroul was very good in the preseason and when he had his (albeit limited) shot in regular season games, he was not up to snuff. IIRC, the team let him go at the end of the season during a roster shakeup, and made no effort to retain him on the practice squad or subsequently to a futures deal (although I could be wrong - I can't quite remember 100%).

To lump Kroul and Devito together is over-simplifying the situation, IMO. Devito was an UDFA who busted his ass, was coached very well, and ultimately became a real NFL starter. Those are 1 in 50. Kroul, OTOH, is more of a run of the mill UDFA who busted his ass, made the active roster and got a few snaps in, and mostly got pushed around. He still will have a shot in the league but dollars to donuts - he probably has peaked. Nothing to be ashamed of - its damn hard to be a successful NFL player.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    absolutely crash, if were Kerrigan or Reed's agent, rather these players end up in 4-3 systems... easier to contribute

Karl Klug is a nice gritty sleeper, in 2 or 3 years could be another Devito (or Matt Kroul)

this is why I don't think Rex needs Phil taylor by the way. He can take Karl Klug, store him on the psquad for 3 years and turn him into a decent player.

I dont' think he can do that with pass rushing LB or cornerbacks
    And on the Reed front, JMO, but I think his perceived value is so high on account that he projects nicely (in people's minds) as a 3-4 OLB, which is partially on account of him resembling Clay Matthews. After all, he's 6-3, 260lb, is white, with long blond hair. Its kind of hard to find a 3-4 OLB and on the face of it, he seems like a perfect candidate. Problem is, he's never done it.

If he were to be looked at solely as a 4-3 DE, is he really that valuable? That's a real question - I don't really know the answer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personal opinions aside, however, Espn Insider just came out with a new player rating list and Reed was given a rank of 90.

According to Espn, "90-100 = Rare Prospect.

Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. Is a premier college player that has all the skill to take over a game and play at a championship level. He rates in the top 5 players in the nation at his position and is considered a first round draft prospect."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just an FYO about Brooks Reed (who I loike and would be good with), on the "Draft Confidential" show with Parcells, I saw he had Reed rated as a 4th rounder on his Board.

I know, it was just a show on the draft, but why make a draft board and not put the players where you think they belong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Just an FYO about Brooks Reed (who I loike and would be good with), on the "Draft Confidential" show with Parcells, I saw he had Reed rated as a 4th rounder on his Board.

I know, it was just a show on the draft, but why make a draft board and not put the players where you think they belong.
    All teams do this...

Because you are being as honest as possible in where you would take a guy. Parcells probably didn't like Reed's lack of strength or perhaps soemthing else.