Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for the "experts" that scout players here:

All League

A question for the "experts" that scout players here:

Which of the DE/OLB/DL guys is the meanest, nastiest guy on the field? Which guy LOVES Football and hates losing and gets pissed off when something bad happens? Who has a non-stop motor and just LOVES playing football and hitting people as hard as he can, and loves it? Who will get in the face of an OG that cut him? Who is going to put in the time in the gym and the filmroom to study, get stronger, and better? WHo is going to hold themselves and everyone around them accountable for their play?

Who has the most FIRE?

Serious questions. Which of this years guys loves the game like that, loves just having the opportunity to play, and would play with abandon if he was making $5000 a game?

I can see scouting film on the net and read all about positives and negatives from various scouting reports, but you guys here that do this more in depth than the most of us and see these guys up close and personal at games, on the field, at Senior Bowl/College All star game practices, etc and have got to have some insight into this type of stuff.

Because mearurables be damned, where he comes from be damned - I want the guy that is the answer to THOSE ^ questions to be a Jet after this wekend.

So who is THAT guy? Is it Casey Matthews? Brooks Reed? Cameron Heyward? Who is that guy with that FIRE to be an emotional leader on the field and a guy who will do ANYTHING to WIN on the field...

WHo is it? Because THAT is who I want playing in Rex's Defense...

Hmmmmm. I'll have to think on that one................

Quote Originally Posted by Tucsonpaint View Post
    Hmmmmm. I'll have to think on that one................
    In your opinion, should Reed be a top ten pick? Why or why not?

he won't be around... but Ryan Kerrigan might be that player. You have to love the heck out of football to play as hard as he did... week in and week out... in a terrible Purdue program that got embarrassed every week. He had 37 career sacks, most in the draft.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Ryan Kerrigan

in a terrible Purdue program that got embarrassed every week. He had 37 career sacks, most in the draft.

... very impressive ...

l_j_r

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    he won't be around... but Ryan Kerrigan might be that player. You have to love the heck out of football to play as hard as he did... week in and week out... in a terrible Purdue program that got embarrassed every week. He had 37 career sacks, most in the draft.
    +1 - That's exactly who I was thinking. Which is why, in combination with his skill, he won't be available to us.

Heyward can play like that...he was the little sparkplug on the OSU DL since he was a freshman...Von Miller...Marcell Dareus....basically the guys we probably won't get...Ayers kinda has it too which is a tiny bit of why I started buying him...

All Pro
    I'd say hands down Chris Carter. That's the whole reason i'm so jacked about him. He's not as physically talented or have the size of Kerrigan or a Smith, but the man's a dawg. He wants to hurt you.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'd say hands down Chris Carter. That's the whole reason i'm so jacked about him. He's not as physically talented or have the size of Kerrigan or a Smith, but the man's a dawg. He wants to hurt you.
    He's one of the reasons that I would love to trade down and pick up a Bailey or Ballard and then take Carter with an extra 3rd rounder we pick up.

Picking up an extra pick in the top 100 allows us to draft an OLB, DE and WR (or safety) which would be very helpful for 2011.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Which of the DE/OLB/DL guys is the meanest, nastiest guy on the field? Which guy LOVES Football and hates losing and gets pissed off when something bad happens? Who has a non-stop motor and just LOVES playing football and hitting people as hard as he can, and loves it? Who will get in the face of an OG that cut him? Who is going to put in the time in the gym and the filmroom to study, get stronger, and better? WHo is going to hold themselves and everyone around them accountable for their play?

Who has the most FIRE?

Serious questions. Which of this years guys loves the game like that, loves just having the opportunity to play, and would play with abandon if he was making $5000 a game?

I can see scouting film on the net and read all about positives and negatives from various scouting reports, but you guys here that do this more in depth than the most of us and see these guys up close and personal at games, on the field, at Senior Bowl/College All star game practices, etc and have got to have some insight into this type of stuff.

Because mearurables be damned, where he comes from be damned - I want the guy that is the answer to THOSE ^ questions to be a Jet after this wekend.

So who is THAT guy? Is it Casey Matthews? Brooks Reed? Cameron Heyward? Who is that guy with that FIRE to be an emotional leader on the field and a guy who will do ANYTHING to WIN on the field...

WHo is it? Because THAT is who I want playing in Rex's Defense...
    karl klug....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    karl klug....
    Interesting...is he mobile enough to move from DT to OLB in the pros? I remember you previously mentioning that the Jets had an interest, but I thought it was as a potential ILB?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    He's one of the reasons that I would love to trade down and pick up a Bailey or Ballard and then take Carter with an extra 3rd rounder we pick up.

Picking up an extra pick in the top 100 allows us to draft an OLB, DE and WR (or safety) which would be very helpful for 2011.
    +1

That's my preferred scenario also. A trade down for a 2nd and a 3rd, draft a guy like Bailey in the 2nd and Carter with the additional 3rd. That would be a great use of the #30 overall pick.

Karl Klug - DE - Iowa - 6'3", 275

Sounds like a Devito type, strong against the run.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Karl Klug - DE - Iowa - 6'3", 275

Sounds like a Devito type, strong against the run.
    we need someone to hit the qb. that's why Pitt and GB got to the Super Bowl and the Jets didn't.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    we need someone to hit the qb. that's why Pitt and GB got to the Super Bowl and the Jets didn't.

... + 99999999999999999999999999999999999 ...

l_j_r

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Agreed, this guy though is projected to be a late rounder so he may be a value pick for DE later on. Pass rushing OLB is the biggest need for the whole team in my opinion.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Interesting...is he mobile enough to move from DT to OLB in the pros? I remember you previously mentioning that the Jets had an interest, but I thought it was as a potential ILB?
    I remember reading something that said he had really short arms.

All League
    Interesting names there....too bad guys like Kerrigan will be long gone and Klug would be a role player type. Its kinda sad that out of all of the guys going into the NFL, only a few fit that description.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Interesting names there....too bad guys like Kerrigan will be long gone and Klug would be a role player type. Its kinda sad that out of all of the guys going into the NFL, only a few fit that description.
    Well, you did ask for just one guy.

I don't think anyone will dispute that Brooks Reed has a very good motor. The question exists with him, however, is how does he translate as a 3-4 OLB and whether his talent is up to the level as his motor to warrant being a 1st round pick. You can pose the same question about Kerrigan, I suppose as well (about moving to 3-4 OLB).

absolutely crash, if were Kerrigan or Reed's agent, rather these players end up in 4-3 systems... easier to contribute

Karl Klug is a nice gritty sleeper, in 2 or 3 years could be another Devito (or Matt Kroul)

this is why I don't think Rex needs Phil taylor by the way. He can take Karl Klug, store him on the psquad for 3 years and turn him into a decent player.

I dont' think he can do that with pass rushing LB or cornerbacks