Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manish Mehta - What Will Happen Regarding The Appeal To Lockout Being Removed

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Manish Mehta - What Will Happen Regarding The Appeal To Lockout Being Removed

Manish Mehta on his twitter

( TheJetsStream Manish Mehta
    Great stuff. Must read RT @skjensen Former NLRB chair William Gould says Appeals Court "most conservative" in US [url]http://bit.ly/hKL8KB[/url] #nfl )

... refers to this article by Sean Jensen at the Chicago Sun Times ... basically saying owner's have good chance that the ruling will be overturned as The U.S. Court of Appeals [for The Eighth Circuit] in St. Louis is very conservative & anti union ...

... anyone know how and/or why it goes from minn to st louis for the appeal? ... was that just chance? or do they handle all appeals at this level? ...

[url]http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2011/04/former_nlrb_chair_says_st_loui.html[/url]

[QUOTE]
    Former NLRB chair says St. Louis appeals courts could favor NFL
    By Sean Jensen on April 25, 2011 7:34 PM | 1 Comment | No TrackBacks
    The former chairman of the National Labor Relations Board said NFL owners couldn't ask for a better court to hear its appeal.

"The U.S. Court of Appeals [for The Eighth Circuit] in St. Louis is probably the most conservative court in the country," said William Gould, currently a professor at Stanford University. "When I was chairman of the NLRB [from 1994 to 1998], a number of our orders against employers were reversed there.

"This is the best court for the owners to be in."

Asked why, Gould said, "Philosophically, they're hostile to the rights of unions and workers to engage in union activity, and, in this case, not to engage in union activity."

The NFL is trying to regroup, after Federal Judge Susan Nelson lifted the league's lockout in a decidedly pro-players, ruling Monday.

"The irreparable harm to the players outweighs any harm an injunction would cause the NFL," she wrote.

The league didn't find much to be satisfied with in her 89-page ruling.

"She exhibited considerable skepticism of the owners' arguments, so she accepted virtually every argument that the players made," Gould said. "It's obviously a sweeping victory, at this stage, for the players, and gives them enormous leverage if the order is affirmed."

But that's the key question: while the lockout is technically lifted will it become officially lifted after the court of appeals has its say?

Gould said the owners will argue that lifting the lockout then resuming it will create chaos.
    If the owners lose before the appeals court, the players will have significant leverage moving forward. But if they win, the NFL's lockout could threaten regular season games.

"If the owners are successful, I would think this is going to go on for a considerable period of time [in courts], and games could be cancelled," Gould said. "But if the players are successful, well, then they'll we'll have football."
    [/QUOTE]

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it boggles the mind that any1 could root for the owners in this conflict.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The players will prevail. The NFL needs a new commissioner

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't the above description of the conservative court the opposite of what Bit said he heard in the other thread?

sheesh, no one knows what's going to happen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4009210]it boggles the mind that any1 could root for the owners in this conflict.[/QUOTE]

I'm rooting for the NFL to work this out so that we do not lose the sport we love. I dont think people realize how close we really are to our NFL turning into MLB.
    This is not about who is on who's side, who cares? This is about reaching an agreement and yesterday's ruling puts them one step further away from that.
    The ruling should have stated that both sides continue to negotiate. Like him or not, Goodell is right about one thing, this needs to be settled at the table, not the courts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4009232] Like him or not, Goodell is right about one thing, this needs to be settled at the table, not the courts.[/QUOTE]

I dont understand how the league could be growing in revenue all these years yet the owners feel like they "lost" the 2006 negotiation. We should all lose like that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4009227]The players will prevail. The NFL needs a new commissioner[/QUOTE]

They have needed one from day one, Baddell is the devil. :steamin:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4009232]I'm rooting for the NFL to work this out so that we do not lose the sport we love. I dont think people realize how close we really are to our NFL turning into MLB.
    This is not about who is on who's side, who cares? This is about reaching an agreement and yesterday's ruling puts them one step further away from that.
    The ruling should have stated that both sides continue to negotiate. Like him or not, Goodell is right about one thing, this needs to be settled at the table, not the courts.[/QUOTE]

Guys like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder want to turn it into the MLB.

The players were perfectly fine with the previous agreement.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets Stream Manish Mehta:

[I]I've been told D'Brickashaw Ferguson & at least 1 other starter (who preferred anonymity) plan on showing up to #Jets facility tomorrow #nyj
    9 hours ago

#Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson has the largest workout bonus in the league this year: $750,000... Makes sense for him to show up tomorrow #nyj
    10 hours ago[/I]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4009210]it boggles the mind that any1 could root for the owners in this conflict.[/QUOTE]

Ask SAR he'll tell you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4009260]The Jets Stream Manish Mehta:

[I]I've been told D'Brickashaw Ferguson & at least 1 other starter (who preferred anonymity) plan on showing up to #Jets facility tomorrow #nyj
    9 hours ago[/QUOTE]

twitter says brandon moore and mike devito were around the facility. but with weight room and trainers room closed all the players could do was walk the halls and leave.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4009283]twitter says brandon moore and mike devito were around the facility. but with weight room and trainers room closed all the players could do was walk the halls and leave.[/QUOTE]

Add D'Brick, Scott, Cotchery, and Harris to the list.

I'd imagine today will be extremely awkward for all parties involved.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4009283]twitter says brandon moore and mike devito were around the facility. but with weight room and trainers room closed all the players could do was walk the halls and leave.[/QUOTE]

Like showing up to the office and they changed the password on your computer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4009227]The players will prevail. The NFL needs a new commissioner[/QUOTE]

+1

Goodell is the worst commish in the history of the NFL.

Also, this "conservative court" argument is so laughable. No matter how conservative or pro employer a court is they are not going to permit clear-cut illegal employment practices.

Remember, the NFL's ONLY defense to an illegal job action is that the decertification was a shame. In other words, "Yeah, we know the lockout is illegal but the players are only playing around in decertifying."

How the NFL put their trust in David Boise is beyond me. HELLO, he lost Al Gore the presidency! You're going to trust the fate of a multibillion business to his legal persuasiveness???

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4009232]Like him or not, Goodell is right about one thing, this needs to be settled at the table, not the courts.[/QUOTE]

Goodell is a POS. He's not right about anything.

Yes, conceptually this should be settled at the table BUT the NFL PLANNED 3 years ago to have a lockout.

The OWNERS used the TV deal as leverage. They never wanted to negotiate a labor deal with the players. They wanted to crush the NFLPA so they could force a deal down the players' throats and the owners could pocket an extra $1 billion.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Matt39;4009246]Guys like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder want to turn it into the MLB.

The players were perfectly fine with the previous agreement.[/QUOTE]

And you would be fine with 61% of your owners money also.;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4009318]Goodell is a POS. He's not right about anything.

Yes, conceptually this should be settled at the table BUT the NFL PLANNED 3 years ago to have a lockout.

The OWNERS used the TV deal as leverage. They never wanted to negotiate a labor deal with the players. They wanted to crush the NFLPA so they could force a deal down the players' throats and the owners could pocket an extra $1 billion.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you. They have been pissed off about this deal for a few years now and have been looking forward to this day to where they can stick it back to the players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4009331]I tend to agree with you. They have been pissed off about this deal for a few years now and have been looking forward to this day to where they can stick it back to the players.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

This would never have happened if the NFL had actually wanted to negotiate.

They opted out of the old CBA only TWO YEARS after it was signed. They did the illegal TV deal a year later. The owners can't complain about the courts deciding things rather than negotiations when the owners were trying to create a godfather-esque deal with the players.

I hope the owners fire Goodell and their legal team and decide to start negotiating in good faith.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4009343]I hope the owners fire Goodell and their legal team and decide to start negotiating in good faith.[/QUOTE]

Not to sound like old guy, but I long for the days of Tagliabue. :(

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4009376]Not to sound like old guy, but I long for the days of Tagliabue. :([/QUOTE]

Tags gets flack for not disciplining players enough, but he was a waaaayyy better commish than that 2-face Goodell.

Seriously. He had a $9.3 billion business, the most successful in league history, and he couldn't spear-head a deal without a work stoppage?

Just imagine if the NFL was in bad financial situation like MLB/NHL/NBA had been?