Thread: Kyle Wilson ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Kyle Wilson ~ ~ ~

> [url]http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/22/wilson-to-compete-for-jets-nickel-cb-role[/url]

I agree with the author that the Jets might have mishandled the Wilson situation last year. His performance through the first 3rd of the season didn't warrant being buried on the bench for the rest of the year. I actually thought he played well when given the opportunity. He always seemed to be in position to make a play, the only problem I saw was ball awareness/reaction, which I felt would get better with experience. He was called for a few costly penalties in the Ravens game, but one was a bogus Interference call on TJ Housh in the end zone where he had perfect coverage.

I am still hoping Wilson will be a good player for us. Rex was raving about him in camp, so I don't get how he went from a starter to never seeing the field so quickly. Definitely gotta take what Rex says about his players with a grain of salt though.

[QUOTE=Gastineau99;4009439]I agree with the author that the Jets might have mishandled the Wilson situation last year. His performance through the first 3rd of the season didn't warrant being buried on the bench for the rest of the year. I actually thought he played well when given the opportunity. He always seemed to be in position to make a play, the only problem I saw was ball awareness/reaction, which I felt would get better with experience. He was called for a few costly penalties in the Ravens game, but one was a bogus Interference call on TJ Housh in the end zone where he had perfect coverage.

I am still hoping Wilson will be a good player for us. Rex was raving about him in camp, so I don't get how he went from a starter to never seeing the field so quickly. Definitely gotta take what Rex says about his players with a grain of salt though.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all of the above. It was not as if he was getting torched a lot. I see him the same as Ducasse, rookie, immediately expected to take up a new position or a hybrid position and not performing like a seasoned pro.

[QUOTE=Gastineau99;4009439]I agree with the author that the Jets might have mishandled the Wilson situation last year. His performance through the first 3rd of the season didn't warrant being buried on the bench for the rest of the year. I actually thought he played well when given the opportunity. He always seemed to be in position to make a play, the only problem I saw was ball awareness/reaction, which I felt would get better with experience. He was called for a few costly penalties in the Ravens game, but one was a bogus Interference call on TJ Housh in the end zone where he had perfect coverage.

I am still hoping Wilson will be a good player for us. Rex was raving about him in camp, so I don't get how he went from a starter to never seeing the field so quickly. Definitely gotta take what Rex says about his players with a grain of salt though.[/QUOTE]

Your point about Rex is well taken. He never dresses down a player to the media, quite the opposite, he talks them up. Even Vernon for example. I'm sure the players respond well to that. The best way to judge Rex's opinion of a player is to look at their playing time.

Hall Of Fame
    They hung Wlison out to dry in the first game of his career. National game against Rex's old team and he had to play single coverage. Everyone thought the Jets would have a good pass rush and he'd be ok. Flacco had a ridiculously high percentage on third and longs in that game because the rush wasn't what everyone thought it would be.

His mechanics look off though. He turns his head to see where the ball is and slows down or he doesn't turn his head and plows right into his man.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Revis Needing His $$$ [QUOTE=Timmy®;4009531] hung Wlison out to dry in the first game of his career.

His mechanics look off though. He turns his head to see where the ball is and slows down or he doesn't turn his head and plows right into his man.[/QUOTE]

... revis's camp holdout and the bouncing of wilson back and forth between edge cb to slot wr inside cb definitely hurt him ...

... also his "ball in the air" adjustments were terrible ... THIS is THE #1 area i'd like to see him work on & improve at ... he often could have solid coverage the whole time ... and then get a PI flag thrown at the end simply because he didn't turn his head towards the ball :( ...

l_j_r
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 04-27-2011 at 07:23 AM.

He is a bad fit for a nickel CB and that is why he struggled. Smaller, quick corners normally play the nickel because it requires quicker reactions and height isnt as important (ray mickens).

Wilson is a bigger CB who can play man defense on the outside and should be able to more then replace cromartie in that spot next year.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;4009531]They hung Wlison out to dry in the first game of his career. National game against Rex's old team and he had to play single coverage. Everyone thought the Jets would have a good pass rush and he'd be ok. [B]Flacco had a ridiculously high percentage on third and longs in that game because the rush wasn't what everyone thought it would be.[/B]

His mechanics look off though. He turns his head to see where the ball is and slows down or he doesn't turn his head and plows right into his man.[/QUOTE]

This couldn't be further from the truth. Watch the game again and you'll see that Flacco was pretty much tossing the ball up into coverage on those 3rd and long plays, and wanted no piece of the pass rush/blitz. Flacco got lucky on a bunch of plays where Cro and Wilson got called for penalties, and Heap and Boldin made some great catches.

To say that Flacco was sitting back there and picking the Jets apart on 3rd and longs is completely false.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4009776]This couldn't be further from the truth. Watch the game again and you'll see that Flacco was pretty much tossing the ball up into coverage on those 3rd and long plays, and wanted no piece of the pass rush/blitz. Flacco got lucky on a bunch of plays where Cro and Wilson got called for penalties, and Heap and Boldin made some great catches.

To say that Flacco was sitting back there and picking the Jets apart on 3rd and longs is completely false.[/QUOTE]

You either complete them or you don't. I didn't say that Flacco was sitting back and picking them apart - but the Ravens converted 11-19 third downs, mostly long. The Jets tried to sack him on most plays and got him twice.

I was shocked how he got some of those passes out with guys bearing down on him.

Story of the Jets season, got close to the qb but not quite close enough.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;4009817]You either complete them or you don't. I didn't say that Flacco was sitting back and picking them apart - but the Ravens converted 11-19 third downs, mostly long. The Jets tried to sack him on most plays and got him twice.

I was shocked how he got some of those passes out with guys bearing down on him.

Story of the Jets season, got close to the qb but not quite close enough.[/QUOTE]

Many of those throws were just thrown up for grabs, Rex even alluded to it after the game. Flacco was lucky not to have 3 or 4 picks in that game. Nothing the blitzers or Rex can do to get to Flacco if he is willing to just loft the ball into coverage downfield and hope for the best every time the Jets blitzed.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;4009817]You either complete them or you don't. I didn't say that Flacco was sitting back and picking them apart - but the Ravens converted 11-19 third downs, mostly long. The Jets tried to sack him on most plays and got him twice.

Story of the Jets season, got close to the qb but not quite close enough.[/QUOTE]
    one of the reasons why i think we're goin' de or olb in the draft's 1st round ;)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=kelly;4011630]one of the reasons why i think we're goin' de or olb in the draft's 1st round ;)[/QUOTE]told ya :rolleyes:

Wilson looked small, slow and clueless last year. He needs to make a big jump this year or he could turn into a ghost of the ghost.

Didn't realize Cro was tagged as a 1 & 3. Sounds like he'll probably be back. I think it's the right thing especially considering how he showed on ST and the fact that we may lose Brad Smith