Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex's book Play Like You Mean It...(merged)

Rex's book Play Like You Mean It...(merged)

Not sure if this has been posted but Cimini is posting some bits and pieces from Rex's new book. Some good stuff..

RichCimini:
    [QUOTE]Skimming Rex Ryan's new book, "Play Like You Mean it." On Gholston: "I didn't like the kid coming out of college .. thought he was a phony."
    Rex, cont: He says he told Eric Mangini not to draft Gholston, but RR claims he was in VG's corner once he "was one of my guys."

Rex Ryan says Wes Welker apologized to him & wife at Pro Bowl in Hawaii for making foot jokes in run-up to Jets-Pats playoff game.

Rex on Sal Alosi trip/sideline wall: " ... I had no idea about it. Mike Westhoff ... had no idea about it. I promise you that."
    Rex says Alosi, holdover from previous staff, "acted kind of aloof" in job interview with him in '09. RR says Alosi warmed up by end of int.

Ryan says "toughes dec" when he got #Jets job was Brett Favre situation. Says he talked to BF and told him he'd be "happy" to coach him.

After Santonio Holmes trade, Ryan asked Roger Goodell to speak to him and Holmes at #Jets offices. RR made unusual request (cont)...RR asked commish to "rip" him & Holmes for embarrassing off-field incidents. RR thought that wld bring him & SH closer. Commish obliged.

Ryan on rivalry with the Giants: "I know it's going to p--- off Giants fans, but ... we are the better team. We are the big brother."

RR says he told Braylon Edwards before '10 season that he "had more ability than any WR in the league." BE's agent will love that.

Sorry, more from Rex Ryan's book. RR on Kerry Rhodes: "He was a selfish-ass guy. He wouldn't work & he was a Hollywood type."

Final line in Rex's book: "I'll say it every time I'm asked ... This team is soon to be champs."[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;4009763]Not sure if this has been posted but Cimini is posting some bits and pieces from Rex's new book. Some good stuff..

RichCimini:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Man...that was chills-inducing, I can't wait to read this book!
    Last edited by RageATL; 04-26-2011 at 03:51 PM.

All League
    Fckin' Rex. Gotta love him.

[QUOTE=RageATL;4009783]That was chills-inducing, [b]I can't wait to read this book![/b][/QUOTE]

+1

Perfect timing too. This offseason blows.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=innerjet;4009788]+1

Perfect timing too. This offseason blows.[/QUOTE]

AMEN Brutha. :yes:

Rex kind of comes off as a hypocrite ripping former players. Last thing I'd be doing as a young coach to be honest.

Rex Rules.

this topic = the best thing to happen to me today.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Matt39;4009797]Rex kind of comes off as a hypocrite ripping former players. Last thing I'd be doing as a young coach to be honest.[/QUOTE]

How so? If they're "his" guys, they're already on the team. :P

Hall Of Fame
    hahaaha love the Giants comment.

Big props to Welker btw.

[QUOTE=RageATL;4009806]How so? If they're "his" guys, they're already on the team. :P[/QUOTE]

Just saying for the future...dont give potential players a reason to not want to be Jets.

Torre was ripped for this same thing...he had already won 4 rings though.

[QUOTE=Matt39;4009797]Rex kind of comes off as a hypocrite ripping former players. Last thing I'd be doing as a young coach to be honest.[/QUOTE]

He rips gholsten and roades. Not really going out on a limb here. Rex tells it like it is. Players that perform and care should not have a problem with that. As for the others, **** em.

[QUOTE=GandWFan;4009812]He rips gholsten and roades. Not really going out on a limb here. Rex tells it like it is. Players that perform and care should not have a problem with that. As for the others, **** em.[/QUOTE]

I agree with what he said about them....but still, no reason to air someone else's dirty laundry, especially this early in your career.

More on Jenny Vrentas article about it...seeing a little more from it, sounds a lot better then twitter comments.

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/04/sneak_peek_at_rex_ryans_new_bo.html[/url]

[QUOTE][I]On trading up for QB Mark Sanchez in the 2009 draft...[/I]
    (Rams GM) Billy (Devaney) suggested they may have an interest in mark and asked me, "Rex, if that happens, what are you going to do?Ē I told him I was scheduled to take the next flight out, heading to Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and I was determined to talk Brett Favre into coming back to play for the Jets. [B]If we hadnít traded up, our plan to was to select Florida receiver Percy Harvin. And then I was going to head straight to Mississippi to get Favre to come back to New York. Instead, I have the quarterback who will be here with me for the next 10 years, count on it[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][I]On beating the Patriots to advance to the AFC Championship Game...[/I]
    After the game, Belichick was great. [B]He came up to me and said, "That was an unbelievable coaching job; you deserve it and I hope you win the whole thing." He really said that, and I could tell he was sincere.[/B][/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/04/sneak_peek_at_rex_ryans_new_bo.html"]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/04/sneak_peek_at_rex_ryans_new_bo.html[/URL]
    [QUOTE]Here are a few noteworthy hits from the 270 pages:

On the incident involving TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz...

We were exactly one week from opening the season against the Ravens in our new stadium ... and this is what I'm dealing with. Now, I could go on for pages and pages about what happened, and what definitely did not happen, but at this point the whole incident has been discussed and dissected, and I donít think anyone on either side found much to talk about. The incident shook me up beyond belief, partially because my name was being dragged into a situation that I hadnít even witnessed, and partially because we already had the image of being goof-offs because of Hard Knocks, and now we were on the verge of developing a reputation for being jerks, too. It was, honestly, killing me.

On WR Braylon Edwards' punishment after his DWI arrest last September...

Some people criticize me by saying that being benched for one quarter isnít a punishment, that I don'tknow how to discipline or control my team. Most people said they would have suspended him from the team right then. I just don't work that way Ö Braylon was paying for his mistakes, whether the media knows it or not.

On Buddy Ryan punching Kevin Gilbride, when both were Oilers coordinators...

So itís in the final game of the regular season, on January 2, 1994, and Gilbride calls a pass play at the end of the first half with the Oilers winning. Back up quarterback Cody Carlson fumbles the ball and the defense has to go back out there. My dad starts yelling at Gilbride, who starts yelling back and walking toward my dad. So what does my dad do? He punches Gilbride in the jaw and the players have to break them up. Now thatís not normal, Iíll admit. But you have to know my dad.

On former Jets first-round pick Vernon Gholston...

Truth be told, I didnít like the kid coming out of college. He's a good athlete and a smart guy, but I thought he was a phony. We had him come to Baltimore, and I just didnít believe in him, I even told (former Jets coach Eric) Mangini not to draft him. Well suddenly he was on my team and I was going to have to work with him, I was not just going to give up on him Ė thatís too easy.

On trading up for QB Mark Sanchez in the 2009 draft...

(Rams GM) Billy (Devaney) suggested they may have an interest in mark and asked me, "Rex, if that happens, what are you going to do?Ē I told him I was scheduled to take the next flight out, heading to Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and I was determined to talk Brett Favre into coming back to play for the Jets. If we hadnít traded up, our plan to was to select Florida receiver Percy Harvin. And then I was going to head straight to Mississippi to get Favre to come back to New York. Instead, I have the quarterback who will be here with me for the next 10 years, count on it

On former Jets S Kerry Rhodes...

He was a selfish-ass guy. He wouldnít work, and he was a Hollywood type, flashy and needing attention. I donít mind flashy, but your work ethic had better back it up.

On earning the trust of WR Santonio Holmes...

Once we got Holmes I wanted (commissioner Roger) Goodell to come down and talk with Santonio after one of our minicamps. Then I said, "I'd like for you to bring him closer to me." Goodell said okay, but he wanted to know what I had in mind. I said, when the three of us sit down, I want you to take the first 10 minutes of our conversation to rip my ass in front of Santonio Ė about what I've done off the field, how I've embarrassed the league. ... I wanted (Holmes) to know that we needed to be be better, not just for the league, but for each other.

On trading for Holmes...

Just before we made the deal, I was checking around about Holmes. Mike Tomlin, the Steelersí coach, was done with Holmes by then, tired of dealing with everything. He told other coaches around the league that Holmes would never play another down of football. The whole league believed him, which is part of the way we worked out the deal.

On trading for Edwards...

I heard all the bad stuff about Edwards from the Cleveland coaches, but let me tell you the one person I talked to who really mattered: my brother Rob, who had been there for about nine months when we made the deal. My brother told me, ďDonít worry about it Rex, you'll love this guy.Ē Rob saw through all the negativity and the anger from the team and from the kid.

On the 45-3 regular season loss to New England...

(Bill Belichick) had his guys ready to play. I didnít. thatís why I took the heat. But let me say this, if weíd had (Jim) Leonhard, there's no way we would have been beaten that bad.

On the TripGate incident against the Dolphins...

I'm telling you right now, I had no idea about it. Mike Westhoff, our special-teams coach, had no idea about it. I promise you that. I'd happily take a lie-detector test to prove it.

On Patriots WR Wes Welker's sly comments regarding the foot-fetish reports about Ryan and wife, Michelle...

Look, it didnít bother me. I'm not going to let that affect me. But it did get Welker benched for the first series by Belichick, so I was fine with that. ... When I went to Hawaii, the kid came up and apologized to me and my wife. No hard feelings.

On beating the Patriots to advance to the AFC Championship Game...

After the game, Belichick was great. He came up to me and said, "That was an unbelievable coaching job; you deserve it and I hope you win the whole thing." He really said that, and I could tell he was sincere.

[/QUOTE]

All League
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;4009832]More on Jenny Vrentas article about it...seeing a little more from it, sounds a lot better then twitter comments.

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/04/sneak_peek_at_rex_ryans_new_bo.html[/url][/QUOTE]

I knew Belichick liked Rex. Behind all the trashing and jabbing in the NE-NYJ rivalry, you can tell how much of a mutual respect Belichick and Ryan have for each other, which is kind of cool.

Wow I can't wait to read this book..

[QUOTE]In his book, #[B]Jets Rex Ryan praises OC Brian Schottenheimer: "I want that guy on my sideline for as long as he wants to be there.[/B]"[/QUOTE]

And there you have it folks...

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=GandWFan;4009812]He rips gholsten and roades. Not really going out on a limb here. Rex tells it like it is. Players that perform and care should not have a problem with that. As for the others, **** em.[/QUOTE]

Lissen to the man; it's [I]science![/I]

hard to say how the team is going to react if they are finally allowed to come back and play but it sounds like rex is one coach who will be able to handle the drama. some coaches are going have an extremely hard time motivating the players as they come off the strike.