Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are peoples feelings on resigning some of our players?

What are peoples feelings on resigning some of our players?

I doubt we will be able to re-sign all that we want.

Antonio Cromartie
    Braylon Edwards
    Santonio Holmes
    Brad Smith
    Wayne Hunter

These are the top guys we have to think about in my opinion. If any of them leave we will have to think about true replacements via the draft or F/A.

The guys I see the most in jeopardy out of those is Cromartie (wants and needs to score big in this contract to satisfy his kid habit.) and Brad Smith, may think it is time to get his best pay day and Jets may not value him as much as others.

I think we will be drafting a kick returner or hybrid type of player this year. Our return game is in too much jeopardy and it was shown last year that it saved our asses in a couple of games.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Antonio Cromartie
    Braylon Edwards
    Santonio Holmes
    Brad Smith
    Wayne Hunter

These are the top guys we have to think about in my opinion. If any of them leave we will have to think about true replacements via the draft or F/A.

The guys I see the most in jeopardy out of those is Cromartie (wants and needs to score big in this contract to satisfy his kid habit.) and Brad Smith, may think it is time to get his best pay day and Jets may not value him as much as others.

I think we will be drafting a kick returner or hybrid type of player this year. Our return game is in too much jeopardy and it was shown last year that it saved our asses in a couple of games.
    I'd be shocked if we could keep Smith, but his contract timing couldn't be worse with the kickoff change so maybe

Good call on Hunter, nobody's talking about him, but his play was huge and they wouldn't have made the playoffs without him.

We will also probably need a full back if Richardson calls it quits. Might have to sign a cheap vet if possible.

Jets Insider VIP
    Its going to suck not having Brad Smith.

He was such a great player to root for.

Although with the new kickoff rules maybe Smith's value will decrease to the point where we can keep him?

I know wishfull thinking.

Jets Insider VIP
    We will also probably need a full back if Richardson calls it quits. Might have to sign a cheap vet if possible.
    You dont think Conner is ready?

I think Smith, Cromartie, and Hunter are all gone...we'll resign BE and SH. We have a replacement for Cro (hopefully) in house with Wilson, we'll probably draft an all-around talent like Smith, and draft some oline depth as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    You dont think Conner is ready?
    Here we are folks, the 1st play of the year for the Jets in their first exhibition game....oh no! Connor is grabbing his knee!

To my knowledge we have no other Fb's on the roster than Connor and TRich. If they are going to have any FB packages we need a back up.

All Pro
    Here we are folks, the 1st play of the year for the Jets in their first exhibition game....oh no! Connor is grabbing his knee!

To my knowledge we have no other Fb's on the roster than Connor and TRich. If they are going to have any FB packages we need a back up.
    How many FB's do we need on the roster?

Based on what we saw on Hard Knocks, Rex and Tanny were having a hard time justifying keeping TRich on the roster, let alone adding a third FB.

It's a pass happy league. Having 5 RB on the roster is plenty (LT, Greene, McKnight, Conner, TRich). We'll probably sign an UDFA for TC fodder, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    How many FB's do we need on the roster?

Based on what we saw on Hard Knocks, Rex and Tanny were having a hard time justifying keeping TRich on the roster, let alone adding a third FB.

It's a pass happy league. Having 5 RB on the roster is plenty (LT, Greene, McKnight, Conner, TRich). We'll probably sign an UDFA for TC fodder, but that's about it.
    Yes, Trich is probably gone thus leaving us 1 fullback on the roster. If they run any packages with a fullback, of which they have had a fair bit in the past we need at the very least a back up to Connor. If they keep Trich then they just need to perhaps pick up an UDFA for the practice squad.

Yes, Trich is probably gone thus leaving us 1 fullback on the roster. If they run any packages with a fullback, of which they have had a fair bit in the past we need at the very least a back up to Connor. If they keep Trich then they just need to perhaps pick up an UDFA for the practice squad.
    I honestly think we were the only team in the league to have 2 FBs.

All Pro
    We will resign Edwards and Holmes. They are too valuable to the continued development of our franchise QB, and our WR depth is rather poor.

Hunter is a player we would like to sign back, but I think he priced himself off the team last season. Some team will give him starter money, and we won't have the ability to compete financially. Pencil in Ducasse as the starting RT to start the season.

Cromartie is as good as gone. Revis is the highest paid CB in the league, and we have another 1st round pick waiting in the wings. He will demand far more money than we can to pay.

Smith is a possibility. It's tough to gauge the new market for a kick returner at this point, and he may be willing to sign a reasonable home town contract if interest is weak. Some teams may be willing to give him a decent amount of money due to his wildcat abilities. We'd like him back, but the bottom line is he's replaceable and not a priority.
    Last edited by parafly; 04-26-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typo

All Pro
    Honestly, one is enough. In a worst case scenario, you can use a blocking TE and/or sign someone off the street / practice squad.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsVault03 View Post
    I honestly think we were the only team in the league to have 2 FBs.
    That's fine, if they want to train Turner or someone to handle that aspect I have no big problems but if you are going to run a full back offense then you better have a backup unless you want to toss a section of the playbook out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Honestly, one is enough. In a worst case scenario, you can use a blocking TE and/or sign someone off the street.
    If we take that attitude about a blocking FB then we should not have any fullbacks if we can get by with TE's and such like some other teams do.

All Pro
    If we take that attitude about a blocking FB then we should not have any fullbacks if we can get by with TE's and such like some other teams do.
    I disagree. Connor was drafted to be our long term solution, and two fullbacks is simply overkill and unnecessary. Of course, we need a back up solution such as Turner/Cumberland/Mulligan in case of injury, but using a roster spot on strictly a backup fullback is a bit of a waste IMO.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Nothing wrong with having a FB on the practice squad - we did that with Jason Davis in 2009, IIRC.

The Jets have been very inefficient with their roster spots the past few years. Carrying 2 FBs, 4 TEs and 4 QBs (in 09') forces you to make decisions to cut a guy like Woodhead or someone else that you really don't want to.

I think this past year is the first time we had a backup fullback in a long while, and that was mainly on account of the outrage expressed by vets on the team of the cutting of TRich.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Nothing wrong with having a FB on the practice squad - we did that with Jason Davis in 2009, IIRC.

The Jets have been very inefficient with their roster spots the past few years. Carrying 2 FBs, 4 TEs and 4 QBs (in 09') forces you to make decisions to cut a guy like Woodhead or someone else that you really don't want to.

I think this past year is the first time we had a backup fullback in a long while, and that was mainly on account of the outrage expressed by vets on the team of the cutting of TRich.
    I agree with you and most of the posters that we do not need a backup FB on the roster. Additionally, I wouldn't draft one just to backup Connor. Many FB's go UDFA as there isnt a huge need for them. Take one of those and put him on the PS...problem solved.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I would prioritize them in this order ...

1&1A. Holmes & Edwards
    2. Antonio Cromartie (unless we can somehow snag Asomugha )
    3. Wayne Hunter
    4. Brad Smith
    +1

All Pro
    Brad Smith.

Trust me, l looked into a crystal ball - feb 2012 - Smith makes it happen. I can say no more...

Veteran

Antonio Cromartie
    Braylon Edwards
    Santonio Holmes
    Brad Smith
    Wayne Hunter.
    I'd re-sign

Santonio Holmes

Antonio Cromartie

Wayne Hunter

It breaks my heart, but I'd let Brad Smith goes........IF his contract requirement is too unflexible.