Thread: Jenks or Revis: who hurt the team more?

Jenks or Revis: who hurt the team more?

What do you think hurt the team more last season? Jenks going down in the opener or the Revis holdout?

Don't get me wrong, last season was awesome. It's just that I thought the D had a chance to join the ranks of the best ever.

Jenks going down is obvious. A true beast that can crush an Oline and clog the middle on his own, which would have freed up our MLBs to wreck havoc. We lucked out with Devito, but as good as he is, he is no Jenks.

Revis' holdout. Not judging him here, mans gotta do what a mans gotta do, but I think that was huge. You could make the argument that it ruined Wilson's season. Instead of having an off-season to gradually learn as a nickleback, he was forced to quickly become the #2 behind Cro. Not sure he ever really recovered. Once Revis showed up, the whole secondary had to shift jobs with no time to practice together. Seemed like it took weeks (if not months) for the secondary to get up to speed. Which you know also then changed Rex's pressure schemes.

(How do I make this a poll?)

Jets Insider VIP
    The good news (if you want to call it good news) is that both of those things were essentially over and done by the end of September. Sure, you can argue that the Jets may have been a 12 or 13 win team with both of those guys at 100% for 16 games, but after Revis got over the hammy and Jenks was shelved for the season the Jets became what they were ultimately going to be last year, a very, very good, but not quite great team.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-26-2011 at 08:08 PM.

All League
    Losiong Jenkins cost us a trip to the SB. Revis was fine after a month. The Jets lost a shot at the SB because of how the Steelers were able to roll over the Jets D in the first half of the AFCCG. That doesn't happen with Jenks in the middle. Heck, the Steelers lost their starting Center and were still able to win the POA in that game.

Jenks would have DESTROYED a back up center.

We lost that game on the D-Line. Period.

[QUOTE=Mike135;4009952]What do you think hurt the team more last season? Jenks going down in the opener or the Revis holdout?

Don't get me wrong, last season was awesome. It's just that I thought the D had a chance to join the ranks of the best ever.

Jenks going down is obvious. A true beast that can crush an Oline and clog the middle on his own, which would have freed up our MLBs to wreck havoc. We lucked out with Devito, but as good as he is, he is no Jenks.

Revis' holdout. Not judging him here, mans gotta do what a mans gotta do, but I think that was huge. You could make the argument that it ruined Wilson's season. Instead of having an off-season to gradually learn as a nickleback, he was forced to quickly become the #2 behind Cro. Not sure he ever really recovered. Once Revis showed up, the whole secondary had to shift jobs with no time to practice together. Seemed like it took weeks (if not months) for the secondary to get up to speed. Which you know also then changed Rex's pressure schemes.

(How do I make this a poll?)[/QUOTE]

IMO. We would have stopped the run better against the Steelers with Jenks. That may have translated to a trip to the SB.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;4009960]Losiong Jenkins cost us a trip to the SB. Revis was fine after a month. The Jets lost a shot at the SB because of how the Steelers were able to roll over the Jets D in the first half of the AFCCG. That doesn't happen with Jenks in the middle. Heck, the Steelers lost their starting Center and were still able to win the POA in that game.

We lost that game on the D-Line. Period.[/QUOTE]

+1

I agree that Jenks was probably the biggest loss, but some could argue having a stronger secondary could have resulted in better front play, both rushing the passer and stopping the run.

Who knows, with a "normal' off-season of practice, Wilson may just have been pretty good by the end of the season. Which may then have allowed an extra LB to help the Dline vs Pitt.

[QUOTE=Mike135;4009952]What do you think hurt the team more last season? Jenks going down in the opener or the Revis holdout?

(How do I make this a poll?)[/QUOTE]

First of all, the Jets D NEVER had a chance to join the ranks of the best ever. The Jets would have needed much, much, much more than what Revis and Jenkins brought to the table. Besides, we really only lost Revis for a couple of games total.

IMO, if we are asking the question what had a more profound effect on the defense? Then I would say Kris Jenkins. The Jets D had him for a grand total of seven plays. That really hurts when you add up what Kris Jenkins is capable of. Jenk makes everyone else along the defensive front 7 better because of what he does. When healthy, he routinely takes on two blockers and even then he often gets penetration into the offensive backfield. By taking up two blockers he leaves one less blocker to go around for blitzing linebackers, defesive ends, safeties, etc. That normally means that someone is going to have a free path to the QB. In other words, he makes the Jets blitzers seem like great pass rushers, when actually they are from it. Their team is seriously lacking in effective pass rushers.

And Wilson's decline had to do with Wilson finding out he wasn't as good as he thought. I doubt having Revis would have made that much of a difference. Revis is stilll a relatively young player, he isn't a coach. To turn the corner, Wilson needs coaching and experience. Wilson has the coaching in Dennis Thurman. DT is as good a secondary coach as there is in the game today. Experience only comes with playing more football.

All League
    one guy played awesome, the other didn't play all season. pretty easy answer.

[QUOTE=Woody56;4010016]one guy played awesome, the other didn't play all season. pretty easy answer.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Jenks in the AFC Championship Game would have made an impact and Mendenhall wouldnt have run all over us in that 1st half at least not the way he did.

God that game still kills me.

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4009970]First of all, the Jets D NEVER had a chance to join the ranks of the best ever. The Jets would have needed much, much, much more than what Revis and Jenkins brought to the table. Besides, we really only lost Revis for a couple of games total.

IMO, if we are asking the question what had a more profound effect on the defense? Then I would say Kris Jenkins. The Jets D had him for a grand total of seven plays. That really hurts when you add up what Kris Jenkins is capable of. Jenk makes everyone else along the defensive front 7 better because of what he does. When healthy, he routinely takes on two blockers and even then he often gets penetration into the offensive backfield. By taking up two blockers he leaves one less blocker to go around for blitzing linebackers, defesive ends, safeties, etc. That normally means that someone is going to have a free path to the QB. In other words, he makes the Jets blitzers seem like great pass rushers, when actually they are from it. Their team is seriously lacking in effective pass rushers.

[B]And Wilson's decline had to do with Wilson finding out he wasn't as good as he thought. I doubt having Revis would have made that much of a difference. Revis is stilll a relatively young player, he isn't a coach.[/B] To turn the corner, Wilson needs coaching and experience. Wilson has the coaching in Dennis Thurman. DT is as good a secondary coach as there is in the game today. Experience only comes with playing more football.[/QUOTE]

The point was that the Revis hold out cost Wilson an entire preseason of working in the slot since he had to work on the outside in Revis' slot.

Well, the fact that our best CB after Revis and Cromartie was Cole, I blame that on Dennis Thurman, Mike Pettine and Rex Ryan...

This is moot since our secondary didn't really cost us all that much, unless you want to peg the 3rd and 6 conversion on them... But it should have never come to that...

The fact that our DL deteriorated against a weak Pittsburgh OL, I blame that entirely on Rex Ryan, his inability to have his team show up in the first half of an AFCCG and his inability to stop Mendenhall from eating us alive...

So, I guess what you're looking for is for me to hypothesize that Jenks would have not only had a bigger impact had he been on the field for the Pitt game but he'd have been fiery in every offensive break while his unit was on the field...

But I'll digress on both hypotheticals and blame Rex Ryan and the rest of his defensive coaching staff. They hurt the team the most and kept them from a Superbowl...

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;4009960]Losiong Jenkins cost us a trip to the SB. Revis was fine after a month. The Jets lost a shot at the SB because of how the Steelers were able to roll over the Jets D in the first half of the AFCCG. That doesn't happen with Jenks in the middle. Heck, the Steelers lost their starting Center and were still able to win the POA in that game.

Completely agree, with Jenkins we make it to the big game.

I think people underestimate the play of Pouha.

Yes, Jenkins would have been nice to have, but Pouha is a solid player.

I don't know if having Jenkins would have changed the outcome of the Steeler game. Mendenhall had over 100 yards in the first half, and Jenkins wasn't the one who missed the block that led to the Sanchez fumble.

Answer is obviously Jenkins... Revis was a shutdown CB for most of the year, he hurt us in the beginning of the season but he was back to dominance once he got healthy.

On the other hand Jenkins is a game changer on the interior line, we didn't have that guy that demanded double/triple teams anymore. Jenkins was also a top notch interior pass rusher, he dominates linemen 1 on 1 with that Reggie White type club. He would have helped with the pass rush, freeing LBs and throwing linemen into the QB up the middle, forcing QBs outside.

Jenkins is a special talent when hes on the field healthy and motivated, loved what he did here in 2008. Its hard to think of anyone better in the NFL than him when hes on the field healthy, hes as dominant as any.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... with jenkins on the field we would have had 10 guys on D who couldn't tackle in that 1st half at pitt instead of 11 ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Jenkins by a mile.

Jenkins hands down..he would have beasted the backup Center.

Jets Insider VIP

right here...word...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Hell - with Jenkins in there for the whole year maybe we win a couple more games and end up hosting the AFCCG.

Losing Jenkins.