Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Editorial in NYT re:voting

[B]Editorial[/B]

[B]The Republican Threat to Voting[/B]

[B]Published: April 26, 2011 [/B]

Less than a year before the 2012 presidential voting begins, Republican legislatures and governors across the country are rewriting voting laws to make it much harder for the young, the poor and African-Americans — groups that typically vote Democratic — to cast a ballot.

Spreading fear of a nonexistent flood of voter fraud, they are demanding that citizens be required to show a government-issued identification before they are allowed to vote. Republicans have been pushing these changes for years, but now more than two-thirds of the states have adopted or are considering such laws. The Advancement Project, an advocacy group of civil rights lawyers, correctly describes the push as “the largest legislative effort to scale back voting rights in a century.”
    Anyone who has stood on the long lines at a motor vehicle office knows that it isn’t easy to get such documents. For working people, it could mean giving up a day’s wages.
    A [URL="http://www.brennancenter.org/page/-/d/download_file_39242.pdf"][COLOR=#00325b]survey by the Brennan Center for Justice[/COLOR][/URL] at New York University School of Law found that 11 percent of citizens, 21 million people, do not have a current photo ID. That fraction increases to 15 percent of low-income voting-age citizens, 18 percent of young eligible voters and 25 percent of black eligible voters. Those demographic groups tend to vote Democratic, and Republicans are imposing requirements that they know many will be unable to meet.
    Kansas’ new law was drafted by its secretary of state, Kris Kobach, who also wrote Arizona’s anti-immigrant law. Voters will be required to show a photo ID at the polls. Before they can register, Kansans will have to produce a proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
    Tough luck if you don’t happen to have one in your pocket when you’re at the county fair and you pass the voter registration booth. Or when the League of Women Voters brings its [URL="http://www.lwv.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=High_School_Registration_Project&Template=/TaggedPage/TaggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=214&ContentID=15228"][COLOR=#00325b]High School Registration Project[/COLOR][/URL] to your school cafeteria. Or when you show up at your dorm at the University of Kansas without your birth certificate. Sorry, you won’t be voting in Lawrence, and probably not at all.
    That’s fine with Gov. Sam Brownback, who said he signed the bill because it’s necessary to “ensure the sanctity of the vote.” Actually, Kansas has had only one prosecution for voter fraud in the last six years. But because of that vast threat to Kansas democracy, an estimated 620,000 Kansas residents who lack a government ID now stand to lose their right to vote.
    Eight states already had photo ID laws. Now more than 30 other states are joining the bandwagon of disenfranchisement, as Republicans outdo each other to propose bills with new voting barriers. The Wisconsin bill refuses to recognize college photo ID cards, even if they are issued by a state university, thus cutting off many students at the University of Wisconsin and other campuses. The Texas bill, so vital that Gov. Rick Perry declared it emergency legislation, would also reject student IDs, but would allow anyone with a handgun license to vote.
    A Florida bill would curtail early voting periods, which have proved popular and brought in new voters, and would limit address changes at the polls. “I’m going to call this bill for what it is, good-old-fashioned voter suppression,” Ben Wilcox of the League of Women Voters told[URL="http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2011-04-25/story/presidential-election-looming-florida-election-law-rewrite-moves-forward"][COLOR=#00325b] The Florida Times-Union[/COLOR][/URL].
    Many of these bills were inspired by the [URL="http://www.alec.org/am/pdf/InsideALEC/Inside_June09.pdf"][COLOR=#00325b]American Legislative Exchange Council[/COLOR][/URL], a business-backed conservative group, which has circulated voter ID proposals in scores of state legislatures. The Supreme Court, unfortunately, has already upheld Indiana’s voter ID requirement, in a 2008 decision that helped unleash the stampede of new bills. Most of the bills have yet to pass, and many may not meet the various balancing tests required by the Supreme Court. There is still time for voters who care about democracy in their states to speak out against lawmakers who do not.

[URL]http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/opinion/27wed1.html?_r=1&hp[/URL]

Today's editorial from the NYT on voting...

It is laughable that the possibility of voter fraud is not something that seems plausible or worrisome to the writer, especially with our country being overun by illegals.

[QUOTE]
    Or when you show up at your dorm at the University of Kansas without your birth certificate. Sorry, you won’t be voting in Lawrence, and probably not at all.
    [/QUOTE]

lol, I remember a time when you couldn't play Pop Warner football without a birth certificate, now you can become President! [SIZE=1] (put on flame suit now)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]
    [QUOTE]
    The Advancement Project, an advocacy group of civil rights lawyers, correctly describes the push as “the largest legislative effort to scale back voting rights in a century.”
    [/QUOTE]

Who exactly is The Advancement Project? A group of career NAACP litgators for the most part. Where is the comparison of making sure someone is a legal resident of the US, or is only voting once, to the civil rights causes of long ago?

[QUOTE]
    The Wisconsin bill refuses to recognize college photo ID cards, even if they are issued by a state university, thus cutting off many students at the University of Wisconsin and other campuses.
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, this is awful because we have not seen invaders with the intent to harm the US ever attend US colleges before.

[QUOTE]
    The Texas bill, so vital that Gov. Rick Perry declared it emergency legislation, would also reject student IDs, but would allow anyone with a handgun license to vote.
    [/QUOTE]

This makes sense as I would venture a guess that it is easier to vote illegally in this country than to legally own a handgun.

[QUOTE]
    Eight states already had photo ID laws. Now more than 30 other states are joining the bandwagon of disenfranchisement, as Republicans outdo each other to propose bills with new voting barriers.
    [/QUOTE]

It seems the majority of states feel this is a legitimate concern.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4010236]A [URL="http://www.brennancenter.org/page/-/d/download_file_39242.pdf"][COLOR=#00325b]survey by the Brennan Center for Justice[/COLOR][/URL] at New York University School of Law found that 11 percent of citizens, 21 million people, do not have a current photo ID[/QUOTE]

lolz....

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Uspop.svg/800px-Uspop.svg.png[/IMG]

Freaking kids. Get photo ID's and get off my lawn!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    voter fraud seems like a problem that doesn't need fixing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4010250]lolz....

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Uspop.svg/800px-Uspop.svg.png[/IMG]

Freaking kids. Get photo ID's and get off my lawn!![/QUOTE]
    I don't understand some of the things you say sometimes, I'll assume that you are representing me as the old man shaking my cane from the bedroom window.

FYI, I was a kid once, yep, and I registered for selective service on my 18th birthday, and I registered to vote on my 18th birthday, and I got my driving license on my 17th birthday, and I waiting in line to register for classes in college, and I did all these things while keepin a part time job and playing sports. My point is kids were able to wait on lines not so very long ago, why is it such a hardship now?

Unless of course there are problems with presenting proper id.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4010256]voter fraud seems like a problem that doesn't need fixing.[/QUOTE]
    lol

[IMG]http://www.dmiblog.com/archives/barack_obama.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4010257]I don't understand some of the things you say sometimes...[/QUOTE]

Me neither. It's a disorder. The panel of doctors said to just play along....

[QUOTE]I'll assume that you are representing me as the old man shaking my cane from the bedroom window
    [/QUOTE]

No...the people who did the study that showed that 11% of the US population doesn't have photo ID's. I then posted a chart that shows that 11% of the US population is under 12 years old. :P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4010260]lol[/QUOTE]

that is to say, it's not a "problem" at all.

it's a fictional problem.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4010276]Me neither. It's a disorder. The panel of doctors said to just play along....

No...the people who did the study that showed that 11% of the US population doesn't have photo ID's. I then posted a chart that shows that 11% of the US population is under 12 years old. :P[/QUOTE]
    oh...my bad :O

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4010279]that is to say, it's not a "problem" at all.

it's a fictional problem.[/QUOTE]
    I know what you meant, I still think there is a possibility that is not the case, afterall we only have to go back a couple of years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]It is laughable that the possibility of voter fraud is not something that seems plausible or worrisome to the writer, especially with our country being overun by illegals.[/B]

That's exceptionally naive: the writer knows exactly what the deal is, and doesn't want to give up the advantage. It was pretty well documented that Dems used vans to pick up poor voters to deliver them to polling stations, and used dead people's credentials to vote. The Left invented and refined "the ends justify the means".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4010279]that is to say, it's not a "problem" at all.

it's a fictional problem.[/QUOTE]

Link? Do you have any evidence to the contrary? Have you ever worked at a board of elections? I'm guessing not.

The FACT that dead people and non-citizens vote EVERY year, or that some registered voters vote more than once is not a problem?

I suppose that's true if you're the group getting their votes :rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't be so damn naive.

Shrinking the electorate = Republicans winning elections

That's what this is about.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4010309][B]It is laughable that the possibility of voter fraud is not something that seems plausible or worrisome to the writer, especially with our country being overun by illegals.[/B]

That's exceptionally naive: the writer knows exactly what the deal is, and doesn't want to give up the advantage. It was pretty well documented that Dems used vans to pick up poor voters to deliver them to polling stations, and used dead people's credentials to vote. The Left invented and refined "the ends justify the means".[/QUOTE]

The GOP doesn't bus the seniors in? Every senior of course is here legally and is properly voting where they should. :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=drunk kid catholic;4010440]Don't be so damn naive.

That's what this is about.[/QUOTE]

And yet voter turnout for the 2010 midterm elections which were a Republican rout were much higher then the 2006 midterm elections which was a Democratic rout.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=drunk kid catholic;4010440]Don't be so damn naive.

That's what this is about.[/QUOTE]

What's naive is thinking its too much to ask for identification before being allowed to vote. What a hardship! :rolleyes:

But to drink beer or smoke cigarettes, you damn well better.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Photo ID Requirments. That is something I strongly support.

When it comes to voting, thats the one policy I want to see in place.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no issue with a photo ID requirement to vote.

As a side note, where is this "no ID" voting taking place? I have voted multiple times in two separate states, and I was asked for my drivers license every time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4010477]I have no issue with a photo ID requirement to vote.

As a side note, where is this "no ID" voting taking place? I have voted multiple times in two separate states, and I was asked for my drivers license every time.[/QUOTE]

New York, for one

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The easier it is to register to vote the better, but to actually vote, photo ID is not a crazy requirement.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-27-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4010487]should not need ID to register to vote, the easier to register to vote the better, but to actually vote, photo ID is not a crazy requirement.[/QUOTE]

Is a Mexican Passport okay?