Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Editorial in NYT re:voting

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4010671]This seems cold on the surface; and just WHAT is the KS Governors Office doing to rectify this situation? Send them all to bed without supper? :dunno:

The implicit message is "Self-reliance wins". However, this is pretty much a move that disenfranchises over half a million people. Where is the Governor's sense of civic duty?

Isn't this the behavior that the Constitution seeks to eradicate?[/QUOTE]

Why do 620,000 Kansas residents not have a government photo ID?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4010671]This seems cold on the surface; and just WHAT is the KS Governors Office doing to rectify this situation? Send them all to bed without supper? :dunno:

The implicit message is "Self-reliance wins". However, this is pretty much a move that disenfranchises over half a million people. Where is the Governor's sense of civic duty?

Isn't this the behavior that the Constitution seeks to eradicate?[/QUOTE]

[URL]http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=16602[/URL]

Kansas requirements below, however I see school ids are acceptable, which confuses me, did I misread earlier? It does not seem too onerous a task to get proper id.
    [QUOTE]

The following forms of identification are valid if they contain the name and photograph of the voter and have not expired. Expired documents are valid if the bearer is aged 65 or older.

[LIST][*]Driver's license issued by Kansas or another state[*]State identification card[*]Government-issued concealed carry handgun or weapon license[*]U.S. passport[*]Employee badge or identification document issued by a government office or agency[*]Military ID[*]Student ID issued by an accredited postsecondary institution in Kansas[*]Government-issued public assistance ID card[/LIST][/QUOTE]

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4010678]Why do 620,000 Kansas residents not have a government photo ID?[/QUOTE]Illegals?

[QUOTE=jetswin;4010681][URL]http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=16602[/URL]

Kansas requirements below, however I see school ids are acceptable, which confuses me, did I misread earlier? It does not seem too onerous a task to get proper id.[/QUOTE]

The mystery deepens.

EDIT: I guess the "bold move" by the governor seems like bullying. You have to set up a detour if you start blocking avenues. I got that from Matlock.

or my mom, who watched Matlock. :shrug:
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 04-27-2011 at 04:24 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4010462]Photo ID Requirments. That is something I strongly support.

When it comes to voting, thats the one policy I want to see in place.[/QUOTE]

With or without burqa?

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4010678]Why do 620,000 Kansas residents not have a government photo ID?[/QUOTE]

It's a Red state and they just elected Brownback as their Governor. Maybe Brownback is waiting for a sign from God? ;)

[QUOTE]Couple that with the election of Sam Brownback, a super-terrific Leader and Christian, he will be among the GREATEST of governors!

As a great political leader - former senator and now governor - he will often ask the RIGHT QUESTION: “What would Jesus do?” [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.ministers-best-friend.com/CHRISTIPEDIA-tm--SAM-BROWNBACK-Christian-Conservative.html[/url]

[QUOTE=cr726;4011358]It's a Red state and they just elected Brownback as their Governor. Maybe Brownback is waiting for a sign from God? ;)

[url]http://www.ministers-best-friend.com/CHRISTIPEDIA-tm--SAM-BROWNBACK-Christian-Conservative.html[/url][/QUOTE]

That doesn't answer the question of why 620,000 Kansas residents don't have proper identification.

It's not the Governor's responsibility to get it to them. It's the citizen's responsibility.

When you work at a company, that company should request you fill out an I9 form. You can't provide that form without a photo ID.

So these people are either jobless, working under the table, have warrants out for their arrest/suspended license or they're illegal.

Sucks for them. The vote must go on.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=cr726;4011358]It's a Red state and they just elected Brownback as their Governor. Maybe Brownback is waiting for a sign from God? ;)

[URL]http://www.ministers-best-friend.com/CHRISTIPEDIA-tm--SAM-BROWNBACK-Christian-Conservative.html[/URL][/QUOTE]
    What would Jesus do? He'd get on his best sandals and get out to visit the sick and poor, to shore up their hope. Then he would tell them not to listen to retarded politicos that hide behind the name of the Son of God.

Of course as a Buddhist, I can only guess.