Thread: Cimini- The Jets fab 5 on their wish list

Hall Of Fame

Cimini- The Jets fab 5 on their wish list

On the Jets' radar: Five to watch
    April, 27, 2011 Apr 271:59PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiWe started this more than a month ago -- our five-man watch list for the Jets -- and here we are on draft eve. This is our final list, realistic possibilities for the Jets at No. 30 (based on information culled from the scouting community and people familiar with the Jets' thinking).

The list doesn't include OLB Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue) or OT Gabe Carimi (Wisconsin), both of whom would be strong considerations if they unexpectedly fell to the bottom of the first round. The list also doesn't have WR Jon Baldwin (Pitt), who would be my sleeper pick for the Jets.

Here's the Fab 5:

Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor, 6-3, 334 -- The big fella would fill a need and he has late-1, early-2 value, according to the teams I've talked to. (ESPN's Scouts, Inc. rates him as the 26th prospect in the draft.) Taylor has weight and foot issues, but nothing that should scare teams away at the bottom of the first round. There's a pretty good chance he'll still be on the board for the Jets.

Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona, 6-2 1/2, 263 -- The Jets absolutely love his motor and character. He's No. 27 in the Scouts, Inc. rankings. A couple of concerns: He has very little experience at linebacker (he was the RDE in Arizona's defense) and he inflated his stock with strong post-season workouts. His 10-yard split (1.54 seconds) made him a lot of money. If the Jets think they can get him by trading down, they could lose him to the Packers (No. 32).

Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA, 6-2 1/2, 254 -- Ayers' advantage over Reed is that he has been trained as an OLB. In fact, he had only 100 snaps last season as a rusher from the down position, one scout told me. Ayers' 40 time at the combine (4.8) was a disappointment, but he plays faster than his stopwatch time, according to scouts. The concern is that he's too light and won't be able to set the edge as a perimeter player on running downs. Ayers, ranked No. 34 by Scouts, Inc., should be available at 30.

Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple, 6-4, 315 -- It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a team that plays a 3-4 defense to take a 5-technique end in the first round ... unless the team thinks he can play more than one position and can play all three downs. Wilkerson has that kind of versatility, the ability to slide inside in the nickel and rush as a DT. Obviously, the level of competition in college is a concern, but the Linden, N.J., product has the size and athleticism to develop into a starting player. His stock is all over the map. Wilkerson, ranked No. 24 by Scouts, Inc., could go anywhere from 18 (Chargers) to 32 (Packers).

Jabaal Sheard, DE/OLB, Pitt, 6-3, 264 -- Here's a name you haven't seen linked to the Jets. Sheard is similar to Reed in that he played DE in college and would have to make the conversion to OLB, but he's bigger than Reed and may have more athleticism. Sheard was the Big East Defensive Player of the Year, and he plays with the tenacity you want in a pass rusher. He was involved in an off-campus assault last summer -- a possible red flag. Sheard has high-2 value, so he probably would be on the board if the Jets decided to trade down. He's ranked No. 35 by Scouts, Inc.

Maybe it is me, but I really just get an overwhelming feeling of "bust" for all these players. I really hope we can move down and get a 2nd #2 pick.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Maybe I'm "Gholston gun shy" but I'd rather have Phil Taylor anchor the inside then draft a college DE and try to convert him to a 3-4 OLB.

Just a front 7 starter..I don't care what his name is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post

The list doesn't include OLB Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue) or OT Gabe Carimi (Wisconsin), both of whom would be strong considerations if they unexpectedly fell to the bottom of the first round. The list also doesn't have WR Jon Baldwin (Pitt), who would be my sleeper pick for the Jets.
    Those guys won't be there at 30, that's why they aren't on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Maybe I'm "Gholston gun shy" but I'd rather have Phil Taylor anchor the inside then draft a college DE and try to convert him to a 3-4 OLB.
    +100000000

All League
    That list is ****ing horrible.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    It's not great, is it? I like Ayers, would be OK with Wilkerson but would be very disappointed with any of the other three guys. I just don't get the Phil Taylor hype at all. He's a big guy who gets shoved around a lot. Great.

And where is Heyward on this list? Got to think the Jets would pick him over the likes of Reed and Sheard.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    No kidding. Sheard? He's not even graded anywhere near first round material... gawd. I suppose you could make a case for Taylor and Wilkerson as having big upsides, but no Heyward? No Smith? I my sleeper Baldwin was noted though.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I don't get why so many people think Gholston was a bust because he was converted to OLB. And the Jets said that Rex doesn't want a guy that drops into coverage, he is looking for a guy that can pass rush, coverage is a small part. Gholston was a terrible football player, he would have been a bust on any team.

List me 3-4 OLBs that weren't DEs in college.... Don't keep passing up on drafting a pass rusher because of the Gholston mistake, the guy that many predicted to be a bust before we took him.

Mmmm Sheard AND Reed as legit first round possibilities? Quit teasing...what a fun draft.

All League
    Cameron Heyward needs to be on that list!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Maybe it is me, but I really just get an overwhelming feeling of "bust" for all these players. I really hope we can move down and get a 2nd #2 pick.
    Do we have a 2d round pick I don't know about?