Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AYERS: Would be an honor to play for jets

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

AYERS: Would be an honor to play for jets

per pft,... I havent posted i a while so why not. I want this guy as my pick.

UCLA linebacker Akeem Ayers‘ stock is perceived to be slipping due to disappointing pre-draft workouts. He ran in the 4.80-4.83 range during February’s Combine, and topped out at 4.69 during the Bruins’ Pro Day in March.

Ayers insists that forty times aren’t indicative of his on-field skills. He’s a linebacker, not Usain Bolt.

“That really doesn’t mean anything,” Ayers told the New York Daily News. “I’m not a sprinter. I don’t run track. I’m a football player. … When I’m on the field, I’m not running 4.8. I’m catching people down and running with running backs and rushing the QB.

“That’s pretty clear and obvious when you watch the film.”

Ayers is probably onto something. He was a dominant player in the Pac 10, despite arguably playing out of position at strong-side linebacker in the Bruins’ 4-3. (He’s projected as a 3-4, outside rush linebacker in the pros.) Ayers racked up 29.5 career tackles for loss, 14 sacks, and six interceptions, running two of them back for touchdowns.

Ayers has demonstrated playmaking ability as both a pass rusher and coverage linebacker. Manish Mehta of the Daily News was told by “several scouts” that Ayers is a first-round prospect, and that his stopwatch speed is irrelevant.

“The tape doesn’t lie,” one AFC scout told Mehta. “… He’s going to make some team very happy this week. He’s a steal late in the first round.”

According to Mehta, Ayers is on the New York Jets’ “short list” with the No. 30 pick.

“I’d love to play for Rex (Ryan),” said Ayers. “They have one of the best defenses in the NFL. That’s something I’d definitely look forward to. … It’d be an honor to play for the Jets.”

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crayc. He's my favorite prospect that's rated in that part of the draft ... I would do flips if the jets get him.. He would come in and be able to play right away and contribute right away...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ayers would contribute right away and he's someone I've been defending for a couple months now after I was able to watch a few games.

The guy has excellent athleticism and knows how to rush the passer.

The issue with his production is that he was used an awful lot in coverage for UCLA in the middle of the field because his athleticism is so damn good. But on downs where he was able to rush the passer, he showed a lot of ability. Excellent first step and plenty of strength. Also showed a good willingness to get his nose dirty and wasn't one to shy away from contact.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I'm talking about

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those 40 times are the only reason he might be available at 30.

I put very little stock in his workout numbers. Dude can play and he would be a great fit for this D because he has such a well-rounded game.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to have him on our team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well from lurking on here daily, you guys pretty much convinced me that he should be the pick, then i saw tape and i like what i saw. If he is not there, then i would say trade down, maybe get reed. one more day to go and we get a taste of football, even if it is that douche calling out names for 3 hours. We get a glimpse at our future jets.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest concern with Ayers (but he's still probably my ideal guy at #30) is his size. It could be a function of wearing #10, but he seems a little slightly built when watching him.

Granted, he'll probably put on another 10 -15 pounds as he matures, so hopefully that's a non issue. That's one of the big differences between Ayers being 21 currently and Brooks Reed being 24. Ayers has 2.5 years of growing and maturing that Reed has already done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn right it would be. I really like this guy in this D...Just an extremely savvy player who only needs easy things like NFL steroids to get going.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can write a fluff article too. It doesn't change what i've seen on tape. He very well could be a good player and a leader on defense, but he's not going to change our current state of affairs regarding a pass rush. ...I thought that was the priority at #30 if we're going OLB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I can write a fluff article too. It doesn't change what i've seen on tape. He very well could be a good player and a leader on defense, but he's not going to change our current state of affairs regarding a pass rush. ...I thought that was the priority at #30 if we're going OLB.
    I don't Know why the Kids pass rush ability gets knocked around like it does he is a very good pass rusher .. He was actually a top ranked De coming out of High School too the Bruins .. His fault is he can play backwards as good as going Forward...

He could play all 4 linebacker positions .. Put his hand in the dirt and play De..
    Cover tight ends and backs .. Nobody on this board doesnt see the defiency our backers have in Coverage .. I for one am tired of seeing Eric smith playing linebacker in the nickel coverage...

I would personally double dip in the 3rd round for a De /olb conversion prospect...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As they talked about on NFL network......Aaron Curry. Oh he hasn't rushed the passer a ton but he can surely do it. I'm not sold on Ayers being a 3-4 guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    As they talked about on NFL network......Aaron Curry. Oh he hasn't rushed the passer a ton but he can surely do it. I'm not sold on Ayers being a 3-4 guy.
    Bigger, rangier, and a better pass rusher than Curry. Plus, Curry is/was stouter and more downhill than Ayers. I also believe that Curry, similar to the moves guys like Dansby and Derrick Johnson made, could be an excellent 3-4 ILB.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it would be an honor... if Ayers got past KC, NE, BAL and ATL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    I don't Know why the Kids pass rush ability gets knocked around like it does he is a very good pass rusher .. He was actually a top ranked De coming out of High School too the Bruins .. His fault is he can play backwards as good as going Forward...

He could play all 4 linebacker positions .. Put his hand in the dirt and play De..
    Cover tight ends and backs .. Nobody on this board doesnt see the defiency our backers have in Coverage .. I for one am tired of seeing Eric smith playing linebacker in the nickel coverage...

I would personally double dip in the 3rd round for a De /olb conversion prospect...
    Couple things. I'm not sold he's the bees knees in a 3-4. But i trust the scouts on that one, so if they say he can, then I give their assessment some weight.

secondly - I'm not saying Ayers doesn't know how to rush the passer, or that he doesn't possess the skills to perform the act. What I'm saying is that at the NFL level of talent, he's won't be able to execute those plays effectively...

Ex.
    Colt McCoy is a good QB, he knows how to throw a tight ball, accurate, and he's smart. But he doesn't have physcal ability to do it at the NFL level at all ranges. You have to cater your offense to him. I'm saying that with Ayers. He doesn't have the closing speed, burst, or physical prowess to be "what we want him to be" in the NYJ defense as a QB Killer at OLB. ...And thats what we after right? We've already got a few Bryan Thomas's.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-27-2011 at 09:17 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm playing devil's advocate on this one mostly. Nothing would please me more than to be totally wrong if we take him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh, dudes, and hammer, this kid definitely has pass rush skills. quick feet and great body control when moving. keeps hiis rush under control especially well while bending the edge around an OL, or swimming thru.

his speed is definitely a concern tho because in the 34, the OLB will have to keep contain, and his lack of pure linear speed is a liability. IMO he will be vulnerable to the outside.

this is something of an issue because in the whole our front 7 is S-L-O-W.

this is the main reason for getting a guy like Martez Wilson. Wilson doesnt have the body control that Ayers has, but he will not only NOT get beat to the edge on running plays -- he will make TFLs...

Ayers is definitely an intriguinig prospect. hope his lack of straight ahead speed is not a liability if we get him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Bigger, rangier, and a better pass rusher than Curry. Plus, Curry is/was stouter and more downhill than Ayers. I also believe that Curry, similar to the moves guys like Dansby and Derrick Johnson made, could be an excellent 3-4 ILB.
    nice comparisons. Curry and Ayers are Totally different types of player...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We drafted a pure workout warrior before in Gholston, I would love for us to get Ayers at 30. But I'm thinking the Jets may make a trade down to the top of the second round and get a 3rd rounder as a reward. We can use the extra picks even if it means missing out on Ayers and getting someone like Reed or Taylor.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    oh, dudes, and hammer, this kid definitely has pass rush skills. quick feet and great body control when moving. keeps hiis rush under control especially well while bending the edge around an OL, or swimming thru.

his speed is definitely a concern tho because in the 34, the OLB will have to keep contain, and his lack of pure linear speed is a liability. IMO he will be vulnerable to the outside.

this is something of an issue because in the whole our front 7 is S-L-O-W.

this is the main reason for getting a guy like Martez Wilson. Wilson doesnt have the body control that Ayers has, but he will not only NOT get beat to the edge on running plays -- he will make TFLs...

Ayers is definitely an intriguinig prospect. hope his lack of straight ahead speed is not a liability if we get him.
    here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV9E-...eature=related

within the first 2:00 u can see everything i mention. getting beat to the edge on outside runs [consistently], as well as that killer body control on the QB rush (the play where roughing was called).

this player's problems playing in space, playing the run and keeping contain will magnify at the pro level.