Thread: Sal Alosi working out two Jets players

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Sal Alosi working out two Jets players

[quote]FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Banned from working out at the team facility during the NFL labor dispute, two New York Jets players have turned to a familiar trainer -- Sal Alosi.

Yes, that Sal Alosi.

The disgraced former Jets strength and conditioning coach, who infamously tripped a Miami Dolphins player in a game last December and ultimately resigned under pressure, is training left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and defensive end Mike DeVito, ESPNNewYork.com has learned.

Alosi is conducting the workouts at his home in New Jersey. He converted his garage into a gym, taking on clients as he attempts to rehabilitate his career. When the lockout began in March, forcing players to find new places to work out, Alosi began calling players on the team to recruit them, sources said.

It's a strange twist to a bizarre chapter in team history.

The 305-pound DeVito, regarded by Jets coaches as perhaps the strongest player on the team, jumped at the chance to train under Alosi's supervision.

"I wanted to work with a coach that knows how to train NFL players," DeVito said Wednesday in a phone interview. "Every year that I've worked with Sal, I got that much better. I trust him and I buy into his program. I wanted to make sure I stayed on the same track. Sal is the best strength coach I've ever been around."

Ferguson was reluctant to discuss his association with Alosi, saying with a laugh, "I can't confirm or deny those allegations." He seemed surprised when asked about it Tuesday as he left the Jets' facility after learning that the team's weight room was closed to players in the aftermath of a federal judge's decision to lift the lockout.

"I'm just trying to keep where I'm working to myself," Ferguson said. "Until we can get back, you try to make the best decisions. I'm doing what I think is best for me."

Ferguson's agent, Brad Blank, said he has no problem with his client working with Alosi, who was the Jets' head strength coach from 2007 until his suspension late last season.

"He's a good coach, and the players like him," Blank said. "They're working out with him, they're not standing on a sideline with him. What Sal did was wrong, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to train players again."

When asked how the Jets feel about players training under Alosi, a team spokesman said in a statement: "It's not surprising that some of the players have chosen to work with Sal. He worked with us for a number of years and there's a familiarity there."

DeVito said he trains with Alosi anywhere from three to five times a week. Alosi's home is about 25 minutes from the Jets' facility, and he turned his garage into a scaled-down version of the team's weight room, according to DeVito.

"All the stuff we can do at the Jets, we can do there," DeVito said.

DeVito said Alosi is hoping to restart his career by catching on with a professional or college team, adding that Alosi is coping well in the aftermath of the embarrassing tripping incident.

"He's showing how strong he is," DeVito said. "Being a Christian guy, he'll become stronger because of these circumstances. Even though there's a storm going on right now, he's growing from it."

Alosi became a national story last Dec. 12, when he intentionally tripped Dolphins "gunner" Nolan Carroll as he ran along the Jets' sideline to cover a punt in a game at the New Meadowlands Stadium.

Initially, Alosi was suspended for the remainder of the season and fined $25,000, but the Jets suspended him indefinitely after determining he instructed players to stand in a wall along the sideline.

The NFL came down hard on the Jets, fining them $100,000. On Jan. 31, the team announced Alosi's resignation. Coach Rex Ryan, referring to the incident in his soon-to-be-released book, calls it "a stupid mistake ... But I think he's a hell of a coach."

Efforts to reach Alosi were unsuccessful. He likely signed a confidentiality agreement upon his resignation, prohibiting him from commenting on anything pertaining to his time with the Jets. A woman who answered the phone at his parents' home on Long Island told a reporter, "You have the wrong number" -- and hung up immediately.

Coincidentally, DeVito and Ferguson were the only two players that showed up Wednesday at the Jets' facility, hoping to work out. For the second straight day, they were told at the door that the weight room was closed.

"I wanted to be there, just in case they allowed us in the weight room, like the Giants did," DeVito said.

DeVito and Ferguson have a financial incentive, too -- workout bonuses of $350,000 and $750,000, respectively. Clearly, both players want it known they're making an effort to satisfy the workout clauses in their contracts.

DeVito said he will continue to train with Alosi until the labor dispute is settled.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6436892&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines[/url] [/quote]

Well....looks to me like his "Resigning" has worked out much to the benefit of the Jets players. Hopefully the others will catch wind of Sal's efforts and we'll see more players go over there to, at the very least, lift some weights to stay in shape. :yes:
    Last edited by Vin; 04-27-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

HA!

When I started a post suggesting that the Jets players should work out with Aliosi during the lockout the "powers that be" dumped that thread immediately.

He who laughs last laughs best.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BUD329;4010962]When I started a post suggesting that the Jets players should work out with Aliosi during the lockout the "powers that be" dumped that thread immediately.

He who laughs last laughs best.[/QUOTE]

Careful with the boasting, BUD. 'Cause you may laugh yourself out of JI that way. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So our players are working out in someone's garage. Great.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4010981]So our players are working out in someone's garage. Great.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but at least that someone was, you know, their most recent conditioning COACH.

They haven't yet worked out with the new guy, if you recall.

Might as well take advantage of Sal's offer if his "garage"(which has to be huge if it's almost like the Jets Weight Room/Facility) is what it is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4010981]So our players are working out in someone's garage. Great.[/QUOTE]

Classic! :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just gathering everyone else's opinions here. Do you think time can heal the wounds? I mean why not?

Marv Albert (basketball commentator for NBC) got arrested in a hotel room wearing ladies underwear and bra and had assaulted his girlfriend, biting her on the A$$. He was exposed. Several women in his life or short past complained he liked to bite chicks on the A$$. He's a sick son of a B$tch. Yet, after attending counseling, he was allowed to resume his commentating career.

So why can't Sal Alosi get his job back with the Jets? He did a great job for the team and it was well known how good of a strength coach he's been. How about the Jets let this whole thing die down and after some predetermined timeframe, maybe like one more season and then they quietly opt to hire Sal Back? What do you think? Would this ever fly?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BUD329;4010962]When I started a post suggesting that the Jets players should work out with Aliosi during the lockout the "powers that be" dumped that thread immediately.

He who laughs last laughs best.[/QUOTE]

You knew. YOU KNEW!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4011020]Just gathering everyone else's opinions here. Do you think time can heal the wounds? I mean why not?

Marv Albert (basketball commentator for NBC) got arrested in a hotel room wearing ladies underwear and bra and had assaulted his girlfriend, biting her on the A$$. He was exposed. Several women in his life or short past complained he liked to bite chicks on the A$$. He's a sick son of a B$tch. Yet, after attending counseling, he was allowed to resume his commentating career.

So why can't Sal Alosi get his job back with the Jets? He did a great job for the team and it was well known how good of a strength coach he's been. How about the Jets let this whole thing die down and after some predetermined timeframe, maybe like one more season and then they quietly opt to hire Sal Back? What do you think? Would this ever fly?[/QUOTE]

I don't see why not. I'd like to think of it as a middle finger to the Dolphins.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm converting my garage into a scaled-down movie theatre so I can show Brick an endless film loop of 3rd & 17.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets hanged Alosi out to dry. That incident happened during a losing streak and people were screaming for heads, so they gave them Alosi rather than Shotty.

If a player did it, say Mangold, would they fire him or give him some kind of slap on the wrist?

A 1 or 2 game suspension, then its over. But they had to throw someone to wolves after the reporter, Braylon, losing, etc . and Alsoi became the lunch.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;4011060]The Jets hanged Alosi out to dry. That incident happened during a losing streak and people were screaming for heads, so they gave them Alosi rather than Shotty.

If a player did it, say Mangold, would they fire him or give him some kind of slap on the wrist?

A 1 or 2 game suspension, then its over. But they had to throw someone to wolves after the reporter, Braylon, losing, etc . and Alsoi became the lunch.[/QUOTE]

If he was worth keeping, something tells me they could have given the old "we're going to handle this in-house" response.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see Whitesnake blasting on the boombox as Brick does his bench presses.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4011107]I can see Whitesnake blasting on the boombox as Brick does his bench presses.[/QUOTE]

Man....."Whitesnake". We're old. :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;4011325]Man....."Whitesnake". We're old. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Or Def Leppard's "Animal" or Montrose's "Rock Candy"

Geez I cant wait for day 3 of the draft. Need some explosive, passrushing OLB's

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4011020]Just gathering everyone else's opinions here. Do you think time can heal the wounds? I mean why not?

So why can't Sal Alosi get his job back with the Jets? He did a great job for the team and it was well known how good of a strength coach he's been. How about the Jets let this whole thing die down and after some predetermined timeframe, maybe like one more season and then they quietly opt to hire Sal Back? What do you think? Would this ever fly?[/QUOTE]

While Marv may have rehabilitated his career, the things he was accused of happened off air, while Sal had the misfortune of having his crime being performed on national TV during the administration of his job.

While I think that Sal was "thrown under the bus", I do not think the Jets can have him back. I do think he will have to do like Marv did.....take a lower profile for a while, then work his way back.

In a few years, we might hear that he is back with whatever team Rex or Brian are coaching. But by then, the hoopla will have died down and it won't really be news anymore.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... sal def deserves a 2nd chance ...

... this situation could work out well for both him & the jets ...

... if he gets some sort of informal thing together where more jets start showing up ... could be a very good p-r move for his future ... and good for jets having their team-mates around & working out with someone who knows their programs :yes: ...

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4015697]... sal def deserves a 2nd chance ...

... this situation could work out well for both him & the jets ...

... if he gets some sort of informal thing together where more jets start showing up ... could be a very good p-r move for his future ... and good for jets having their team-mates around & working out with someone who knows their programs :yes: ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]
    What he does was foolish,rash and reckless but I believe he deserves a second chance. Good to see the players standing up for him and De Vito pointing out his genuine character and efforts to get things back on track