Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Mayock has the Jets selecting Ayers!!!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike Mayock has the Jets selecting Ayers!!!!!

One can only hope!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    O M G

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    O M G
    Like OMG!!

I want Ayers as a Jet!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mayock put little to no thought into his last 5 picks there SBIII. He presented in cascade in the last minute. So hold your horses. He has us passing on Heyward. Not gonna happen.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Mayock put little to no thought into his last 5 picks there SBIII. He presented in cascade in the last minute. So hold your horses. He has us passing on Heyward. Not gonna happen.
    I was kinda pissed there was no video of the last few picks lol..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did Ayers kick your Dog .. Paradis... Lol

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, YES!!

I know i'm all over these threads down playing Ayers, and it looks worse than it is. Like i said previously, i don't hate the guy, in fact i think he'll be a great player in the NFL. I just feel there's better options for us, and he doesn't fit the bill of a QB killer OLB'er. And that's what i want if we spending our only pick in the first 90 picks on an OLB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, YES!!

I know i'm all over these threads down playing Ayers, and it looks worse than it is. Like i said previously, i don't hate the guy, in fact i think he'll be a great player in the NFL. I just feel there's better options for us, and he doesn't fit the bill of a QB killer OLB'er. And that's what i want if we spending our only pick in the first 90 picks on an OLB.
    You're right he might be a mike Vrabel type 6-8 sacks and good all round backer ... but I just feel he would have a very low bust rate .. And jets go for a chris Carter or De type later...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting to warm up to the Ayers pick

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a pick you would not love?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Is there a pick you would not love?
    An OG or CB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ with a stout DE like Heyward, Pace might actually get behind the line and disrupt the QB. With a beast at DE in a 3-4, a whole world of possibilities opens up.

It's a no brainer to take Heyward.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    +1

I would be shocked if we passed on Heyward for Akeem Ayers.

If it happened I would trust Rex and the scouts so I wouldn't go crazy, but I would be shocked.
    I would lose my mind

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    An OG or CB.
    Doubt they go guard. If Smith from Colorado is on the board you may be disappointed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, YES!!

Who at that point in the draft is a QB killer?

I definitely want us to upgrade the speed of our defense, mainly because i trust Rex to put guys in the best possible position schematically, and after that, the faster the better.

But would you really rather the dontay moch's of the world who dont have near the Football Skill of Ayers?

Our defense is really predicated on versatility (see rex's success with guys like adalius thomas) and ayers fits that perfectly. He can run (i dont care what his 40 time is), play in space, has been a LB his whole career, play in coverage and rush the passer.

Plus he actually wants to be a good player, I think its a no brainer over a Dlineman who is just gonna take up blockers in our scheme.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Who at that point in the draft is a QB killer?

I definitely want us to upgrade the speed of our defense, mainly because i trust Rex to put guys in the best possible position schematically, and after that, the faster the better.

But would you really rather the dontay moch's of the world who dont have near the Football Skill of Ayers?

Our defense is really predicated on versatility (see rex's success with guys like adalius thomas) and ayers fits that perfectly. He can run (i dont care what his 40 time is), play in space, has been a LB his whole career, play in coverage and rush the passer.

Plus he actually wants to be a good player, I think its a no brainer over a Dlineman who is just gonna take up blockers in our scheme.
    Completely agreed with this post. I feel like it's a much safer pick than a pass rusher like Houston or Reed. He has shown he can cover and that is so important, especially when you have to play the Pats and their TE's twice or more a year. People are down on him because of his timed-speed and strength. He plays much faster than his 40 time indicates and he's only 21, he probably still has a lot of growing to do, especially in an NFL weight room. People are also down on the number of sacks he had, but that's because he was so good in space. He wasn't one of those college players that was asked to just "go and get the quarterback." He's versatile and a three down linebacker. Besides, his production was similar to Reed, anyway. If we get Ayers at 30 he's going to be one of those players that people look back on in a couple of years and say, "how the **** did this guy get picked so late?"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    An OG or CB.
    "with the 30th pick, the New York Jets select Stefan Wisneiwski,guard,Penn State"........

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    +1

I would be shocked if we passed on Heyward for Akeem Ayers.

If it happened I would trust Rex and the scouts so I wouldn't go crazy, but I would be shocked.
    If both are available, I think we go Heyward, but I don't think its as clear cut as many think. I also think that there is a strong chance that Ayers goes before Heyward does.

Ayers is underrated on this board, IMO. I think he puts on 10-15 lbs naturally in the next two years (he's only 21) and will become a real player at OLB. Maybe not All Pro, but a real solid starter with the upside for more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Ayers is underrated on this board, IMO.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... if we get either heyward or ayers i'll be a happy man ...

l_j_r