Marginal production and was not really a sack artist
    Does not possess impressive instincts or awareness
    Not technically sound and leverage is inconsistent
    Effort is lacking at times and motor is huge concern
    Isn't nasty or aggressive and lacks a killer instinct
    Bit of a prima donna and maturity's been questioned
    Ran into off-the-field trouble and had a long layoff

Notes:
    Was a three-year starter for the Tar Heels --- Named 2nd Team All-ACC in 2009 --- A high-profile prep recruit who essentially had his choice of elite programs --- Missed two starts in 2009 due to the "coaches decision" --- Dismissed from the football team and didn't play in 2010 after the NCAA discovered he received $10,000 to $13,000 of improper benefits from an agent --- Was dominant at the East / West Shrine Game and also performed extremely well in workouts --- Could fit in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme --- Best fit at the next level may come as a three-technique in an even front --- Classic underachiever who doesn't always play nearly as well as he works out --- Clearly a 1st Round talent but may lack intangibles needed to maximize immense potential.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics
    Year GP TKL TFL SACK
    2007 12 26 6.0 4.0
    2008 13 38 1.5 1.0
    2009 13 42 6.0 4.0
    2010 DNP - - -
    Totals 38 106 13.5 9.0

I hope Wilkerson is the pick! If not then Martez Wilson makes sense for us.

All Pro
    You know, I wouldn't be too surprised or disappointed if Austin did turn out to be the pick.

He has top-10 talent, but major questions over his maturity and work ethic. You can take a risk on him at #30 and possibly make out like a bandit. However, if he fails, at least you don't have a VG-style cap-killing bust of a PR disaster on your hands.

If he is the pick that Rex wants, then I could get on board with it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Any word on who the writers in Spokane having us take?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    You know, I wouldn't be too surprised or disappointed if Austin did turn out to be the pick.

He has top-10 talent, but major questions over his maturity and work ethic. You can take a risk on him at #30 and possibly make out like a bandit. However, if he fails, at least you don't have a VG-style cap-killing bust of a PR disaster on your hands.

If he is the pick that Rex wants, then I could get on board with it.
    But where do you play him? On 3rd down, he'd be a nice asset, but I'm not sure where he'd fit in in our base defense.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Any word on who the writers in Spokane having us take?

But where do you play him? On 3rd down, he'd be a nice asset, but I'm not sure where he'd fit in in our base defense.
    I think he'd be a LDE, possibly the replacment for Ellis either this year or next.

He's a bit shorter than ideal, but no so short that I'd worry too much about it.

He's not my preferred option - that's still Heyward, Ayers or maybe Clayborn - but I wouldn't hate the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I can see the Jets taking Austin, thats why I ranked him 3rd on my TOP 5 list of players the Jets may take tonite if they stay at #30, right behind Phil Taylor and Cameron Heyward.

Too me those are the three most likely candidates tonite.
    does he have the versitility to play him at DE, and does he have pass rush moves? if so, is he any different from guys like watt or wilkerson?

there was a piece about him on outside the lines this past weekend about him getting thrown off the NC team and getting ready for the draft

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Eagles...

Jets Insider VIP
    I would actually be pretty happy with the pick.

Austin has his share of troubles but he just seems like the kind of guy who would thrive under Rex.

I hate Austin so I really hope this doesn't turn out to be the case... I see bust who will be out of the league in 5. Have seen that since I paid attention to him as a junior.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I hate Austin so I really hope this doesn't turn out to be the case... I see bust who will be out of the league in 5. Have seen that since I paid attention to him as a junior.
    I could see that if he lands with the wrong team. Out of all the studs UNC has in this draft class, Austin has the most bust potential. He can be versatile, but I still don't think he fits our defense as well as he would as a 3T in a 4-3 scheme. FWIW, I always thought Quinn and Quentin Coples (who will be big name next year) were better and more consistent Marvin.

All Pro
    Brb posting high school news paper mocks

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Brb posting high school news paper mocks
    so why not list them instead of being a comedian?

Forget bust potential, I think Austin is an absolute bust. I thought it last year when I watched him regularly after he was being talked about as a guy likely to come out.

His issue is that he has zero playing strength. He's athletic as hell, but that doesn't matter at that position if you get tossed around.

He'll hang around the league for a few years like they all do, but he'll be on the streets by year 6.