Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 guys, or trade out...

All League

5 guys, or trade out...

My head is spinning with all of the possibilities for the Jets pick at 30. I think the Jets FO might also be in the dark as to who will be sitting there when their turn comes to pick. Does this mean a trade out of the 1st round? Maybe.

These are my top 5 mid-late projected 1st rounders that I'd take at 30, without trading up for them:

1 Muhammed Wilkerson- Looks like a Rex type
    2 Phil Taylor- maybe our Ngata
    3 Cameron Heyward- not afraid of drafting a Buckeye, after Vernon.
    4 Jimmy Smith (Paradis, you made me change my mind on the "another CB" situation.
    5 Mark Ingram-Too good to pass up. Greene, Ingram & McKnight for the next 5-7 years.

If none of these players are there at 30, trade out of the 1st round into the range of picks 35-39, and pick up a 2nd rounder. This is a deep draft. Two second rounders would be sweet.

Btw, my two-cents worth on two guys that have been mentioned many times on this board; Brooks Reed & Akeem Ayers. As much as I want to find a big-time pass rusher, these two guys I think would be a reach at 30. They both look like 2nd or 3rd Rounders to me.

Lets go Jets!!!

All Pro
    those names are all on my wishlist, with Heyward and Smith right at the top. God i hope so...

Jets Insider VIP
    1. Cameron Heyward
    2. Muhammad Wilkerson
    3. Akeem Ayers
    4. Brooks Reed
    5. Phil Taylor

After reading about jimmy smith... UGH. do you really want this dude.

Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith is on the short list of the most talented players in this year’s NFL draft. But he’ll likely have to wait at least a few hours to hear his name called tonight.

The reason is that NFL teams have major questions about Smith’s character, and those questions include the abuse of drugs, specifically codeine.

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Smith flunked three drug tests at Colorado, and he told at least one club that one of the three was for misusing codeine.

Codeine may be a particular red flag for NFL teams right now. The Raiders want to trade up into the first round and were once thought to be interested in moving up for Smith, but the latest reports out of the Bay Area indicate that the Raiders aren’t going to take a chance on a guy with a codeine issue so soon after the JaMarcus Russell debacle.

Smith’s character problems (which also reportedly include issues with alcohol, getting women pregnant and an arrest for assault) are so voluminous that a survey of 24 personnel executives found 11 of them wouldn’t even take him in the second round, let alone the first.

Still, it only takes one team to like Smith enough to take him in the first round. And no one doubts his talent.

It would be a huge risk taking him. Nyc and a guy who likes to party not a good combo

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Phil Taylor
    Cameron Heyward
    Muhammad Wilkerson
    Marvin Austin

If all four are off the board, I hope we do trade down.
    Really? He looks to be more of a 4-3 DT, no?

Jets Insider VIP
    MMMMM.... 5 Guys

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    MMMMM.... 5 Guys
    Burger & Fries.... and unlimited peanuts too!!

Just had it for lunch today, so gooooooooood.

All League
    as badly as we need help on the defensive front, mark ingram if available would be a great addition to our ground & pound and LT is gone next year.

but then who do we get in round3 for the DL?

All League
    SNY floated the possibility the Jets are looking to trade down with the 49ers, the #30 overall for SF's 2nd (#45) and 3rd (#76) if the board falls in a certain way.

OP is looking at the draft the wrong way. You can't think of it as reaches or not. basically the goal of the team is to identify the guys that they will look to find every way to take. They don't look at it like the video game where you are just trying to get value. Value is retarded because nobody remembers or cares whether the player was good value.

The only thing people care about is whether the player is going to be a good player.

The Jets aren't taking Ingram and Wilkerson is not good imo. Not physical at all. Just an athlete playing DL.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    SNY floated the possibility the Jets are looking to trade down with the 49ers, the #30 overall for SF's 2nd (#45) and 3rd (#76) if the board falls in a certain way.
    Wow. Thats too far down ... maybe if they throw on a 4th rounder too?

Quote Originally Posted by crayc View Post

Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith is on the short list of the most talented players in this year’s NFL draft. But he’ll likely have to wait at least a few hours to hear his name called tonight.

The reason is that NFL teams have major questions about Smith’s character, and those questions include the abuse of drugs, specifically codeine.

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Smith flunked three drug tests at Colorado, and he told at least one club that one of the three was for misusing codeine.

Codeine may be a particular red flag for NFL teams right now. The Raiders want to trade up into the first round and were once thought to be interested in moving up for Smith, but the latest reports out of the Bay Area indicate that the Raiders aren’t going to take a chance on a guy with a codeine issue so soon after the JaMarcus Russell debacle.

Smith’s character problems (which also reportedly include issues with alcohol, getting women pregnant and an arrest for assault) are so voluminous that a survey of 24 personnel executives found 11 of them wouldn’t even take him in the second round, let alone the first.

Still, it only takes one team to like Smith enough to take him in the first round. And no one doubts his talent.

It would be a huge risk taking him. Nyc and a guy who likes to party not a good combo

Pass on this guy...he is too much of a chance in the 2nd round...Coke problem...and NYC...PASS !

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crayc View Post

This makes me want him even more.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    This makes me want him even more.
    Par, what was your take on the Jets drafting kyle Wilson last year? Did you like him?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Par, what was your take on the Jets drafting kyle Wilson last year? Did you like him?
    I wasn't crazy about him no. I didn't think it was need like it is this year - but more importantly i didn't see wilson as that amazing of a talent. Physical, press man - yes. Didn't hate it, but didn't pound the table for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I wasn't crazy about him no. I didn't think it was need like it is this year - but more importantly i didn't see wilson as that amazing of a talent. Physical, press man - yes. Didn't hate it, but didn't pound the table for him.
    It was a reaction to the AFC Championship Game and Peyton going off everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    1. Cameron Heyward
    2. Muhammad Wilkerson
    3. Akeem Ayers
    4. Brooks Reed
    5. Phil Taylor
    This is the proper list.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    This is the proper list.
    i could be wrong of course, but I could see Reed still there for the Jets in the 3rd round.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    My head is spinning with all of the possibilities for the Jets pick at 30.
    Btw, my two-cents worth on two guys that have been mentioned many times on this board; Brooks Reed & Akeem Ayers. As much as I want to find a big-time pass rusher, these two guys I think would be a reach at 30. They both look like 2nd or 3rd Rounders to me.

Lets go Jets!!!
    You reach up, not down. Maybe squat, downward.