Thread: Akeem Ayers, the "Anti-Gholston"?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Akeem Ayers, the "Anti-Gholston"?

Just wondering about Akeem Ayers draft stock "slipping" because he ran a 4.8 at the combine.

Watching "tape" and reading scouting reports on Ayers reveals a versatile player that could play 4-3 end, 3-4 OLB, drop into coverage very effectively and has pass rush ability....and apparently Ayers actually loves playing football.

So, is this a guy who is getting [I]underrated [/I]because of the combine? It seems like hes a guy that can just flat out play but isn't a track star.

Ayers, if the Jets like him enough to pick him, will be a good fit in the Jets D IMO, and would be the remedy to all the busts the Jets drafted to play Defense based on the "measurable" alone.

To be honest, after guys like DeWayne Robertson (skyrocketed up draft boards very late), Bryan Thomas (ran a sick 40 which never translated to the field), and Vernon Gholston, I almost feel MORE comfortable taking a guy like Ayers who has great film and played well for more than one season but had a bad combine than taking another workout warrior.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, Ayers ran a 4.68 at his pro day and also had better numbers in several other categories. I believe he is being underrated in general, and he will be off the board by the time we pick in the first round.

He's going to make some team very happy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4012399]For what it's worth, Ayers ran a 4.68 at his pro day and also had better numbers in several other categories. I believe he is being underrated in general, and he will be off the board by the time we pick in the first round.

He's going to make some team very happy.[/QUOTE]

The question is can he rush the passer, or is he another Pace/Thomas Type of LB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ayers is #1 on my jets board. Go get em tanny you chubby little fellow you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;4012392]Just wondering about Akeem Ayers draft stock "slipping" because he ran a 4.8 at the combine.

Watching "tape" and reading scouting reports on Ayers reveals a versatile player that could play 4-3 end, 3-4 OLB, drop into coverage very effectively and has pass rush ability....and apparently Ayers actually loves playing football.

So, is this a guy who is getting [I]underrated [/I]because of the combine? It seems like hes a guy that can just flat out play but isn't a track star.

Ayers, if the Jets like him enough to pick him, will be a good fit in the Jets D IMO, and would be the remedy to all the busts the Jets drafted to play Defense based on the "measurable" alone.

To be honest, after guys like DeWayne Robertson (skyrocketed up draft boards very late), Bryan Thomas (ran a sick 40 which never translated to the field), and Vernon Gholston, I almost feel MORE comfortable taking a guy like Ayers who has great film and played well for more than one season but had a bad combine than taking another workout warrior.[/QUOTE]

+1 Game film shows him to be an impact player and his pro day 40 shows him to be a fine athlete plus he's fluid guy in the games. If we pick him up I'd be quite happy with that

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heres some input from an LA -based Jet fan who watched Ayers at UCLA....he sucks.

Too soft.
    Will be a grade B- LB in the NFL.

Sorry...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Justin Houston is the better pick IMO, much more of a pure pass rusher.