Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: With the 30th Pick of the 2011 Draft the NY Jets select Muhammad Wilkerson of Temple

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Rex Ryan on Muhammad Wilkerson: "I compare him to a young Trevor Pryce."

https://twitter.com/#!/TheJetsStream
    NICE!!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    BEAST!!!!

... nice vid woody, thx! ... you should have warned me to hit the mute button 1st though! ...

... very happy with the pick ...

... i also was ecstatic heyward was still on the board ... finding DL help mikey t and rex valued higher than that ... AWESOME!!! ...

l_j_r

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    I'm just thrilled that we drafted into the strength of this draft which was D-Lineman. It's tough drafting at 30 and it's fantastic that the deep D-Line class perfectly aligned with our needs.

There is no way I see a talent like Wilkerson lasting until 30 in any other draft. He is the perfect blend of size and speed.

6'4", 315 ripped lbs, and 4.96 in the 40 - that is an incredible size/speed ratio, plus he had great production on the field, not just numbers.

There is a steep jump up in competition level coming from Temple but that this kid is clay and Rex is the sculptor. The potential is there for the molding but it's going to take a couple years, we have to be patient.
    yep..but c'mon no chance of that..He'll be expected to get 20 sacks next yr by some on here

All Pro
    Overview

Wilkerson is an elite 3-4 defensive end prospect with idea size, excellent shedding ability and the athleticism to pursue from the backside and rush the passer. Jolts offensive lineman at the point of attack, can beat the double team, finds the football and makes plays against the run. Does not have rare first-step quickness but can take a direct line through blockers to pressure the quarterback and has range against the run. Despite size, is a three-down guy who plays with a high effort level for four quarters. Wilkerson's stock has risen quickly and he could come off the board in the middle of round one.

Overview

Wilkerson is an elite 3-4 defensive end prospect with idea size, excellent shedding ability and the athleticism to pursue from the backside and rush the passer. Jolts offensive lineman at the point of attack, can beat the double team, finds the football and makes plays against the run. Does not have rare first-step quickness but can take a direct line through blockers to pressure the quarterback and has range against the run. Despite size, is a three-down guy who plays with a high effort level for four quarters. Wilkerson's stock has risen quickly and he could come off the board in the middle of round one.

Strengths
    Wilkerson's a prototypical blend of height, bulk and speed for a defensive tackle or five-technique. Dominant against the run. Has great get off, holds up at the point of attack, shows outstanding ability to shed, and very good closing burst to the ball. Very effective power bull rusher. Has good hands. Good stamina.
    Weaknesses
    Hard to point out weaknesses in his game. Does not possess elite initial quickness off the ball as a pass rusher or penetrating against the run but still good in this area. Shows some nastiness on occasion but would like to see him play with a more consistent mean streak.
    Grade

Jets Insider VIP

That's really the perfect comparison.

Wilkerson, IMO, is a better prospect than his former teammate at Temple Terrance Knighton who was an absolute beast for the Jags last year.

After Darius, I think it's really debatable as to who the next best 5-technique is in this class. It's really a tossup between Jordan, Wilkerson, and Heyward IMO.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... another youtube vid ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ecjl...feature=fvwrel

l_j_r

This kid wants to be here. The guy was crying when he was picked by the Jets. You could say that he was just crying because he was drafted in the first round, but he grew up in NJ, this is his childhood dreams come true. Too awesome.

This guy does not move like a 320 lb player at all. What a force. Absolutely love this!

Mo II

We should be elated. Tanny held his pick, stayed true, and didn't do anything stupid.

More importantly -- because he coud ahve done something stupid, or risky, like select Ayers, Bowers, Reed -- he did something smart.

He got us Rex's poor man's Ngata. With more potential than Heyward.

Now you have to keep Ellis/Pryce to show the kid the ropes, and u have a bookend for a decade.

the Jets Mo II.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Does this spell the end of ellis?
    am hoping they keep him around 1 more year to mentor. plus, he played great versus the pats in the playoffs. need that type of leadership and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Exactly

What the hell is the use of trading down for future picks if you're not going to use those picks anyway?

The Pats had the opportunity to take a guy like Cameron Jordan at #17 and still walk away with Carimi or Sherrod at the tailend of Round 1.
    I can't for the life of me understand what the whole point of that was. Seems to me like they overthink things, probably they don't have a quorum in their draft room then revert to type ie trade down and stockpile rinse and repeat

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    I can't for the life of me understand what the whole point of that was. Seems to me like they overthink things, probably they don't have a quorum in their draft room then revert to type ie trade down and stockpile rinse and repeat
    Just watch, the Pats will be praised endlessly yet again about how they "manipulate" the draft.

All the while Tom Brady gets older and older as the Pats stockpile these ordinary players and let the blue chip talent pass them by.

It's really great.

good, b/c the old trevor price is out of gas.

Jets Insider VIP
    Great value and at a need position.

Wilkerson will have time to develop, but let's not kid ourselves. Rex & Tanny drafted him to be a Day 1 starter and help them win a SB this year. They didn't draft him to sit on the bench. The Jets have a hole on the DL with only 2 starters under contract (Pouha & DeVito).

As for the Pats, they traded 2 yrs of Richard Seymour who could have helped them get to the SB for a finesse tackle.

The Pats would have had a great draft by picking Jordan and Ingram, too bad for them the Saints did it instead.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Just watch, the Pats will be praised endlessly yet again about how they "manipulate" the draft.

All the while Tom Brady gets older and older as the Pats stockpile these ordinary players and let the blue chip talent pass them by.

It's really great.
    +1

The Saints vs. Pats philosophy is hilariously a mismatch. The Saints won the SB the other year, have a younger QB and go to get players who help win RIGHT NOW.

Brady is already 34 and not getting younger, but the Pats keep trading picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Muhammad Wilkerson on #Jets D: "That's a tremendous defense. I can help that defense be more destructive than it is." #nfl #nyj

Love the SWAG

All League
    The last time the Jets drafted a D-Lineman outta Temple, it worked out pretty good...

So, is this the end of any talk about Kris Jenkins coming back? I personally couldn't think of a better mentor for Wilkerson.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Why Wilkerson over Heyward?

Wilkerson is 315 Pounds and he's still a pup, he'll probably play at 320+ and he runs a 4.9 ... and Temple is one of the few college teams that plays a 3-4 scheme, so there is no positional transition, he played 34DE in college too ... and he was an exceptional pass rusher, something Heyward lacks, he's a heck of a player too, but not much of a pass rusher.

You don't see many DT's or 34DE's getting 10 sacks in a season on any level, that is very rare for those positions.

IMO Wilkerson had to be the pick.
    potential = NGATA/PRYCE

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Great value and at a need position.

Wilkerson will have time to develop, but let's not kid ourselves. Rex & Tanny drafted him to be a Day 1 starter and help them win a SB this year. They didn't draft him to sit on the bench. The Jets have a hole on the DL with only 2 starters under contract (Pouha & DeVito).

As for the Pats, they traded 2 yrs of Richard Seymour who could have helped them get to the SB for a finesse tackle.

The Pats would have had a great draft by picking Jordan and Ingram, too bad for them the Saints did it instead.
    Exactly. Mo's pretty nimble on his feet and its remarkablle how deceptively agile he is for his size, this guy is a seriously big dude.

On your other point, the Pats could've just chilled and made out like thieves picking up Jordan and Ingram - this duo would've been a major injection of talent and impact for them. Instead they let this pass them by. There no guarantee they'll be able to recoup this opportunity cost later in the draft

Geez their draft room must be an opium den or something

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    We should be elated. Tanny held his pick, stayed true, and didn't do anything stupid.

More importantly -- because he coud ahve done something stupid, or risky, like select Ayers, Bowers, Reed -- he did something smart.

He got us Rex's poor man's Ngata. With more potential than Heyward.

Now you have to keep Ellis/Pryce to show the kid the ropes, and u have a bookend for a decade.

the Jets Mo II.
    I think the Jets bring Ellis back, Pryce is done.

I also think Jenkins is brought back as well, and we have Pitoitua coming back next year, and Jarron Gilbert we scooped up from the Bears, a 2nd round pick last year.