Thread: Top 5 First Round Steals (Jets are one of them!)

Top 5 First Round Steals (Jets are one of them!)

1 - Lions - Nick Fairley - Obviously no one is touching the Fairley steal. The Lions just pulled off what the Jaguars pulled off a decade ago. They've paired to epic talents inside at DT. This one could be a historic steal in the draft.

2 - Giants - Prince Amukamara - 2nd best CB in the draft that's gotten Terrence Newman comparisons. Probably pissed that he got passed over like that, and is going to do extremely well behind the Giant pass rushers.

3 - Rams - Robert Quinn - The 2nd best pass rusher in the draft. The Rams are slowly but surely putting together a front 7 that could go heavy into the Spags play book. They'll have Long, Little, and Quinn in a DE rotation next year. Long will probably get the Justin Tuck role.

4 - Bears - Gabe Carimi - One of the teams with one of the most obvious needs in the draft, and they get a top tier player to fill that need. Carimi's going to be a LT in Chicago, and a damn good one. He brings size and power to an OL whose last first round pick was undersized and played with too much finesse.

5 - Jets - Muhammad Wilkerson - After Phil Taylor, no 3-4 DL prospect did more for themselves this offseason. He's one of the younger players in this round, and his athleticism and frame offer alot of upside. Should be a Day 1 starter.

Thoughts? Should Gabbert be here? I thought Sherrod to the Packers was sweet, and the Steelers picked up an Aaron Smith clone in Heyward.

Veteran
    I thought NO got the biggest steal with Cam Jordan falling in their lap. I never thought he'd get out of the teens and really thought Tanny was going to try to jump up a few picks to snag him.

Um...you make a point. I left that guy off for no reason.

I still think Fairley will be the best D-lineman in this draft... so love the Lions at #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    5 - Jets - Muhammad Wilkerson - After Phil Taylor.
    jeez will ya give it a rest

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Um...you make a point. I left that guy off for no reason.
    Well, we had to keep the Jets on that list SOMEHOW . . .

I can see why the Lions went for Fairley and strictly from a value aspect it was a great pick but their defense better be good when their franchise QB is on his ass or in the hospital once again this year.

For all of the nice picks the Lions have made the last few years they refuse to spend high to get really good o-line help. Stafford will be in a sling again this year and people will start to complain that he is injury prone.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    IFor all of the nice picks the Lions have made the last few years they refuse to spend high to get really good o-line help. Stafford will be in a sling again this year and people will start to complain that he is injury prone.
    It's hard not to think Fairly was a sexy pick, but there's a lot of truth in what you say. When i was mocking the Lions pick, there were a lot of prime choices, but you keep thinking of Stafford on the sidelines and go "Oh fine, Castonzo it is"....

I don't think they liked hearing Carpenter, Watkins AND Sherrod's name get called late in the first. Ijalana's the only premium tackle left that i can think of.

The Lions OL wasn't the problem last year. Backus was actually fairly good. Stafford just keeps getting hurt.

I love them pairing Suh and Fairley. How are you supposed to stop that?

Baccus will be 34 to start next season. Their Qb has been hurt twice, just as I stated in my other post.....he is now 'injury prone'. The Lions have had tons of picks to get a good o-line in place rather than a 'we can get by' o-line in the last few years.

Teams that draft their franchise QB and then don't make o-line priority #1 usually regret it.

Edit, my mistake on the sacks listing, the lions were not as bad as I thought. I shall spare my preaching on the lions o-line from here on out.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 04-29-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Eh. I think the Rams getting Quinn was a much bigger deal than Fairley.

I think everyone from 26-32 did a nice job, honestly, or rather, everyone except New Orleans (hate the Ingram pick). The Colts did well to get Costanza.