Thread: What kind of competition did Muhammad face in the MAC?

Jets Insider VIP

What kind of competition did Muhammad face in the MAC?

Some questioned the quality of teams he faced.. would you be worried?

Jets Insider VIP
    Terrence Knighton (Wilkerson's teammate at Temple) faced the same level of competition and he was a monster for the Jags last year. Borderline pro-bowler in his rookie season.

And IMO, Wilkerson in the better prospect coming out.

The level of competition doesn't scare me at all.

Truly doesnt matter. He isnt in the MAC any longer.

this is a legitimate concern but if he plays at Miami he's not there at 30.

He did play some bigger programs like Penn State, Rutgers, Uconn. Even the film against Villanova is useful cause of Ben Ijilana.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4013774]this is a legitimate concern but if he plays at Miami he's not there at 30.

He did play some bigger programs like Penn State, Rutgers, Uconn. Even the film against Villanova is useful cause of Ben Ijilana.[/QUOTE]

+1

Anyone in any doubt about big Wilks' ability should go to youtube and watch his performance against Penn State.

It's very, very impressive.

Personally, am so glad we have this guy and not Phil Taylor.

[QUOTE=mrcoops;4013812]
    Personally, am so glad we have this guy and not Phil Taylor.[/QUOTE]

im with you coops

Domething that the SNY guys said last night was that the last defensive lineman we drafted from Temple was Joe Klecko. So perhaps we are overblowing this competition thing

To be fair,look at his game vs. Penn State, 9 tackles and 1 forced fumble,and compare it against how some of the big 10 guys( Kerrigan,Liguet,Heyward,Claybourn) did against PSU. I'll bet it was just as good,maybe better,and he had nowhere near the talent around him that those other guys had.Also,is it just me,or did it look like Phil Taylor had trouble walking last night?

All League
    Look at Gholston he played in a "big conference" and how did that turn out?
    Its about the player

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=HitSomeone41;4013700]Truly doesnt matter. He isnt in the MAC any longer.[/QUOTE]

hah?

-

Love this pick. Had him as my #1 months ago. Tall, big, quick for his size and absolutely fills the need the Jets have at DE.
    Round 3? If Sam Acho is there (borderline possible) he's the pick. Good OLB material.
    Round 4 - Safety
    Round 5 - have to take Henry Hynoski from Pitt as a FB. The name alone is worth it.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4013954]
    Round 5 - have to take Henry Hynoski from Pitt as a FB. The name alone is worth it.[/QUOTE]

interesting name... his dad was in the league and Hynoski also produced something ridiculous like 150 TD in high school.

The biggest knock on first-round pick [B]Muhammad Wilkerson[/B] is that he dominated at a lower level of competition. The Temple football program, which plays in the MAC conference, has come a long way, but it's a long way from the SEC or Big 10. Consider: Five of his 16 sacks over the last two seasons came against Kent State.

Here's a breakdown of Wilkerson's sack production over the last two seasons:

[B]2010 Season[/B] (Sack total: 9.5 sacks)

Miami (Ohio) ... one sack
    Kent State ... three sacks
    Buffalo ... 2.5 sacks
    Army ... one sack
    Central Michigan ... two sacks

[B]2009 Season[/B] (Seven sacks)

Kent State ... two sacks
    Miami (Ohio) ... two sacks
    Ball State ... 1.5 sacks
    Villanova ... one sack

[B]Rex Ryan[/B] was asked about the competition issue, and he said, "He went up against Penn State. You watch that game and you have no conerns." For the record, Wilkerson recorded nine tackles and one forced fumble against Penn State last season, with only one tackle and one batted pass against the Nittany Lions in 2009.

[B]MORE ON DA'QUAN BOWERS[/B]: A lot of fans at the draft were disappointed the Jets didn't pick [B]DE Da'Quan Bowers[/B], who slipped out of the first round because of a bad knee. As I wrote Thursday night, there is major concern around the league about his surgically repaired knee, which may require microfracture surgery. I spoke to an official from another team Friday morning, and he said his team doctors rejected Bowers -- twice.

[B]WILKERSON'S STOCK[/B]: Spoke to an opposing scout who said his team had a late first-round grade on Wilkerson and was prepared to trade up into the top portion of Round 2 if he slipped. The general consensus, I think, is that the Jets got good value at 30 ... Know this: Two players coveted by the Jets were scooped up in the picks preceeding them -- [B]NT Phil Taylor[/B] (21st to the Browns, in a trade-up) and [B]DE Cameron Jordan[/B] (24th to the Saints).

[B]LABOR UPDATE[/B]: On Thursday, Ryan sent an e-mail to all Jets players, informing them the team is planning to open its off-season program on Monday. Some players, including [B]WR Jerricho Cotchery[/B], were planning to show up Friday to begin workouts and rehab at the team's facility. Ryan, in his e-mail, told the players they needed to bring proof of insurance if they decided to work out Friday.

[B]DAY 2 PREVIEW[/B]: The Jets don't have a second-round pick; it was traded to the Chargers last offseason for [B]CB Antonio Cromartie[/B]. A lot of fans tweeted me, wondering if the Jets could trade into the second round. The answer is, not unless they're willing to give up their entire draft. That would be the cost, based on the point-value chart. In the third round, the Jets will be looking at outside linebacker, safety and wide receiver. Will they pick another Temple player? [B]S Jaiquawn Jarrett[/B], from Brooklyn, N.Y., is regarded as a third-round prospect.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/5243/jets-draft-confidential-day-2[/URL]

I don't understand the Cimini article. He criticizes Wilkerson's production, but then goes on to say that other teams thought highly of him and we got good value. Wilk's going to be a good player.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=WeeZiTe;4014118]I don't understand the Cimini article. He criticizes Wilkerson's production, but then goes on to say that other teams thought highly of him and we got good value. Wilk's going to be a good player.[/QUOTE]

It's Cimini. Negative b***hing is all he's got.

Wilks is an interior D-Lineman who is going to be a 3-4 DE for us. Anyone who counts his success purely in terms of sack numbers is a fool. Hello Cimini!

Besides which 9.5 sacks and 7 sacks for an interior lineman is pretty damn good, no matter what the level of competition.

Wilks is a huge, mobile guy who can stuff the run and pressure the QB into the bargain. He's still young and is only going to get better as he matures and adds strength. Great pick at #30.