Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price to move into 2nd Round

Price to move into 2nd Round

Im very happy with the Wilkerson pick, guy is perfect for our defense, has the size for our defense, can get into the backfield, and is a true 3-down Dlineman.

That being said, I also think ayers is perfect for us as well, Im really tired of Bryan Thomas' slow a$$ jogging around out there.

What is the ballpark cost of us getting back into the 2nd round, does next years #1 only do it?

Denver has 2 2nd round picks and is in the middle of a rebuilding phase with a new GM, who could be looking to stockpile picks/chips for future years. With the team we have now its a calculated risk that our 1st round pick next year will be in the 20s and god willing the 30s, do we think a player of ayers talent/versatility will be there for us next year??? We know what we are getting this year.....personally I think that would be a great move.

Thoughts?

it's tempting but this is a team with 18 free agents and 6 draft picks

All Pro
    We're not getting our cake and eating the icing or however the sh*teating expression goes. Ayers is a goner. (thankfully) But, because he and number of other guys at that position slid, it's looking in the 3rd for us.

Bryan Thomas is a good football player, and there isn't a guy in this draft that I would feel compelled to give up a fourth round pick for, much less next year's number one.

We would just be digging ourselves into a deeper hole as we tried to patch things here and there. Quite honestly, a pass rusher is a luxury, not a necessity. An offensive tackle is closer to a necessity. People need to look at the rosters and who is likely to be gone in two years.

On twitter there is a rumor that the Jets are looking for options to trade up for Akeem Ayers if he gets to around the middle of the 2nd round.

Jets Insider VIP
    trade up and grab Dontay moch at the end of round 2.

Supposedly Rex was pushing for Tanny to take Brooks Reed at 30 last night, so I'm guessing he will be on the "trade up" board as well. Would love the Jets to come away with Reed or Ayers tonight.

My main hope is that the Pats draft neither of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Moch is a dope.

Quote Originally Posted by seanmac31 View Post
    Bryan Thomas is a good football player, and there isn't a guy in this draft that I would feel compelled to give up a fourth round pick for, much less next year's number one.

We would just be digging ourselves into a deeper hole as we tried to patch things here and there. Quite honestly, a pass rusher is a luxury, not a necessity. An offensive tackle is closer to a necessity. People need to look at the rosters and who is likely to be gone in two years.
    Thomas has been a slightly above average pro, thats it. He does everything pretty well and nothing exceptionally well. Now he has lost speed which is something the defense and expecially the position desperately need. Scott isnt going anywhere, so thomas is the guy we need to replace.

Ayers at the least is faster then BT and has enough expereince as a career OLB that he can play in our defense immediately.

Yes we have holes in our roster, and no I do not want to go into the season with Vlad as our starting RT, but defensive speed is more important.

Jets Insider VIP
    Moch is a dope.
    a dope with 4.4 speed coming off the edge.

Where was it stated that Rex was begging for brooks reed?

Can't mortgage this team's future by giving up next years 1. Tanny has been aggressive but it has cost us draft choices which are sorely needed now. Look for the Jets to possibly move up slightly in the 3rd if they love someone. Waiting 61 picks before you pick can be an agonizing wait.

Quote Originally Posted by LI JET FAN View Post
    Can't mortgage this team's future by giving up next years 1. Tanny has been aggressive but it has cost us draft choices which are sorely needed now. Look for the Jets to possibly move up slightly in the 3rd if they love someone. Waiting 61 picks before you pick can be an agonizing wait.
    I agree with you that the trading up has cost us some young depth and that we have veteran RFAs and FAs that we need to replace, but your logic doesnt make any sense.

Trading a 1 next year for a 2 this year doesnt mortgage the future, we get the same amount of players.

The risk is if we have a bad year and the #1 becomes more valuable then what is assumed. A risk that given our team we should be willing to take....

Quote Originally Posted by LI JET FAN View Post
    I agree with this. I can see them trading up from the bottom of three into the middle or top 3rd of three.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I agree with you that the trading up has cost us some young depth and that we have veteran RFAs and FAs that we need to replace, but your logic doesnt make any sense.

Trading a 1 next year for a 2 this year doesnt mortgage the future, we get the same amount of players.

The risk is if we have a bad year and the #1 becomes more valuable then what is assumed. A risk that given our team we should be willing to take....
    Is there anyone there worth it though? I'm not sure there is.

He is ranked as a 4th rounder on NFL.com

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Thomas has been a slightly above average pro, thats it. He does everything pretty well and nothing exceptionally well. Now he has lost speed which is something the defense and expecially the position desperately need. Scott isnt going anywhere, so thomas is the guy we need to replace.

Ayers at the least is faster then BT and has enough expereince as a career OLB that he can play in our defense immediately.

Yes we have holes in our roster, and no I do not want to go into the season with Vlad as our starting RT, but defensive speed is more important.
    Thomas doesn't really have any weaknesses as a player--he's just a solid, solid pro. I don't see a rookie available who could beat him out. (Gholston sure couldn't.) And defensive speed really isn't a major priority. It would be nice to have, but that's all. The reason you have someone like Ryan as your head coach is because they can compensate schematically. There is certainly no reason to go mortgaging next year for players of dubious pedigree just to say we fixed a problem now, especially when it's not the biggest problem. (Again, the offensive and defensive lines need to be addressed before serious problems start in 1-2 years, and the receiving corps will suddenly look pretty poor if we don't re-sign Holmes or Edwards.)

For those people who are insisting it's no big deal and we end up with the same number of players whether we use a second rounder this year or a first next year, let me ask you this: When is the last time that a team traded a future first-round pick for a second rounder and that move actually looked good by next April? I can't think of one. I can think of many, many instances of teams trading away that pick for some immediate gratification and looking pretty bad.

The Jets used their second round pick on a cornerback out of Florida State. His name is Antonio Cromartie. There you go, we've used our pick to address a gaping hole in the secondary. (Do we all feel better now?)

also this draft is pretty deep. the jets can get quality in rounds 3, 4 and 5 if they've done their scouting correctly. we saw this last night too. sure, tanny may jump up tonight a bit or in the 4th if someone really slips, but there's definitely no reason to burn 2012 picks right now. the problem with doing that is, what if you have a rash of injuries in 2011, or if sanchez gets hurt early, and you finish 5-11 or something. then you don't have that early 2012 1st rounder when you really need it. that's why i hate what atlanta did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thomas doesn't really have any weaknesses as a player--he's just a solid, solid pro.
    HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Oh give me more please. This is good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by seanmac31 View Post
    Thomas doesn't really have any weaknesses as a player--he's just a solid, solid pro. I don't see a rookie available who could beat him out. (Gholston sure couldn't.) And defensive speed really isn't a major priority. It would be nice to have, but that's all. The reason you have someone like Ryan as your head coach is because they can compensate schematically. There is certainly no reason to go mortgaging next year for players of dubious pedigree just to say we fixed a problem now, especially when it's not the biggest problem. (Again, the offensive and defensive lines need to be addressed before serious problems start in 1-2 years, and the receiving corps will suddenly look pretty poor if we don't re-sign Holmes or Edwards.)

For those people who are insisting it's no big deal and we end up with the same number of players whether we use a second rounder this year or a first next year, let me ask you this: When is the last time that a team traded a future first-round pick for a second rounder and that move actually looked good by next April? I can't think of one. I can think of many, many instances of teams trading away that pick for some immediate gratification and looking pretty bad.

The Jets used their second round pick on a cornerback out of Florida State. His name is Antonio Cromartie. There you go, we've used our pick to address a gaping hole in the secondary. (Do we all feel better now?)
    Yes, they used that pick hoping Cromartie would work out on this team....he didnt. He was exposed for what he is, a very fast, athletic person whose football skills are greatly overrated. He will not be resigned, and we will move wilson to his natural position as an outside corner.

We just addressed our defensive line with our 1st round pick and if we still need more youth at the position, there are a number of developmental guys that will be around in the 4-6th round.

As far as the "we dont need speed we have Rex" argument, i couldnt disagree more. Rex's entire defense is built on pressure from different angles, and we couldnt get any pressure this year, because pace was hurt and bart scott and thomas are too damn slow. Tell me exactly when this solid, solid pro made a big play for this team? Can he cover TEs? Is he a good blitzer? No to all of the above....he is just not terrible, thats his greatest attribute.

No, we dont know if reed, ayers or whomever is gonna be a good player, but if we trade we can GUARANTEE that they are available, which is half the battle when drafting.

Where was it stated that Rex was begging for brooks reed?
    Please link
    Rex doesn't want a player, Reed, who cant get off a block; Lego, RB, TE, OL