Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price to move into 2nd Round

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmarco View Post
    Please link
    Rex doesn't want a player, Reed, who cant get off a block; Lego, RB, TE, OL
    Read page 24 of the "Omnibus draft thread" a little further down the page.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Yes, they used that pick hoping Cromartie would work out on this team....he didnt. He was exposed for what he is, a very fast, athletic person whose football skills are greatly overrated. He will not be resigned, and we will move wilson to his natural position as an outside corner.

We just addressed our defensive line with our 1st round pick and if we still need more youth at the position, there are a number of developmental guys that will be around in the 4-6th round.

As far as the "we dont need speed we have Rex" argument, i couldnt disagree more. Rex's entire defense is built on pressure from different angles, and we couldnt get any pressure this year, because pace was hurt and bart scott and thomas are too damn slow. Tell me exactly when this solid, solid pro made a big play for this team? Can he cover TEs? Is he a good blitzer? No to all of the above....he is just not terrible, thats his greatest attribute.

No, we dont know if reed, ayers or whomever is gonna be a good player, but if we trade we can GUARANTEE that they are available, which is half the battle when drafting.
    Maybe. Or maybe we re-sign him. I imagine the team will try to should they be unable to get both Edwards and Holmes back. But it doesn't really matter. The point is that rather than build the team by increasing our options over time, people want to decrease them by throwing out the future so we can chase marginal prospects who are in the second round because they deserved to be in the second round. Those first round picks are going to be worth a whole lot more after the new CBA when there is a rookie salary cap in place, but nevermind--we really, really need Ayers or Brooks or whomever, despite the fact that either one of those guys would be lucky to see the field for more than 15 snaps a game.

The defense had issues last year because people adapted to the blitz schemes and made adjustments. It was the exact same personnel that blitzed people into the ground the year before, and it's not like they suddenly got slower or less effective in one year due to a collective increase in age. The league caught up, that's all. The Jets defense radically improved at the end of the year and in the playoffs by simply by shutting down the blitz and playing higher percentage coverages on third down.

All I can say is that come next April when the Patriots (who went 14-2, lest we forget) are again sitting there with a minimum of two first-round picks and change and we stroll into the draft with a 2, a 4, a 5 and a 7...people are going to be upset. And they should be. It's no way to run a franchise. It's not like other years where you can at least use players on the roster to help defray the cost. This year there is nothing to trade but the future of the team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    What is the ballpark cost of us getting back into the 2nd round, does next years #1 only do it?
    Well the Pats need a DE, so to have our pick of it we'd have to trade into their spot which:

a) they wouldn't do
    b) would cost us either next year's first, or next year's second and this year's third and another pick this year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Well the Pats need a DE, so to have our pick of it we'd have to trade into their spot which:

a) they wouldn't do
    b) would cost us either next year's first, or next year's second and this year's third and another pick this year
    We would only do it after NE picks....and see who is available at the spot. They would never just trade into a pick without knowing their player was already there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm not sure how, but i think it would be cool if one of the mods created a poll for which position the jets will draft tonight.