Thread: Looks like its the same old group for Safety next year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like its the same old group for Safety next year

Pool, Leonhard, Smith, and I guess Lowery.

Woulda like to see Shiloh Keo get a shot for us next year, but I guess they feel "good" about that mess we have at Safety.

And I don't get the trade up for Kerley, he doesn't seem to bring anything out of the very ordinary to the table. Why trade up for a guy thats 5'11 with average speed?

Year after year it seems the Jets do good work in the first 3-4 rounds and then absolutely fall asleep and crap the bed in the later rounds....Then again, the verdict is still very much out on last years draft. I think DuCasse will be absolutely useless in the NFL, WIlson is still a work in progress, and while Connor is a cool guy with a neat nickname, he has yet to do much of anything either....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Pool, Leonhard, Smith, and I guess Lowery.

Woulda like to see Shiloh Keo get a shot for us next year, but I guess they feel "good" about that mess we have at Safety.

And I don't get the trade up for Kerley, he doesn't seem to bring anything out of the very ordinary to the table. Why trade up for a guy thats 5'11 with average speed?

Year after year it seems the Jets do good work in the first 3-4 rounds and then absolutely fall asleep and crap the bed in the later rounds....Then again, the verdict is still very much out on last years draft. I think DuCasse will be absolutely useless in the NFL, WIlson is still a work in progress, and while Connor is a cool guy with a neat nickname, he has yet to do much of anything either....
    I really don't think Safety is as pressing as you make it out to be. While I wouldn't have taken a RB in the 4th, I am generally pleased with this draft. Would have preferred an OLB in the 4th instead of the back we picked up. And there are still some decent safeties there for the picking in the back end. We'll see, you seem to be very down on the Jets drafting in general? Maybe I am misinterpreting your last couple posts. I personally am pleased because the the first two picks were absolutely stellar in my book.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Safety is one of those positions that just doesn't mean as much...

And you can't fill every hole as well so no matter what, you would've been *****ing about something.

Just keep taking the best players available. That's why teams like Baltimore keep doing well. Ozzie is the best because he does exactly that, yet fools like the OP still would rather force need picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    leonhard and smith are more than adequate at safety if our secondary stays with revis and cromartie

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    why do people think safety is such a need? Eric Smith actually played VERY well after the NE regular season game, hwich understandably so, he was a bit overwhelmed for. The starters were fine this year and Smith offers VERY good depth. Not sure where this post is coming from. OLB, I could see a post a bout but not safety.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's fine with me.

This safety class was horrible. I don't even think a guy like Rahim Moore is a shoe-in to be a quality starter in this league.

Leonhard will be back to make the calls in the secondary and Eric Smith actually came on pretty strong last year. I don't think we're in some kind of dire straits position at safety. We don't have any standouts but we have a few rock solid guys.

Getting some depth at receiver was a much bigger need. After Holmes, Braylon, and Cotchery we didn't have another serviceable WR on the roster.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pool and Lowery were fine after the second Pats-Jets game, our D-Line breaking down in the AFCG is what killed us and we got two of the best D-Linemen in the draft. Ellis and Wilkerson aren't going to fix our offensive playcalling but they will make our run defense consistently good and will free up blockers so our average OLBs can get after the QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Safety isn't really a problem on the team IMO. There's no star, so what?

There are no stars in this draft.

No sense is picking one just for the sake of picking one. The class is weak so move on and look next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

And you can't fill every hole as well so no matter what, you would've been *****ing about something.

Just keep taking the best players available. That's why teams like Baltimore keep doing well. Ozzie is the best because he does exactly that, yet fools like the OP still would rather force need picks.
    +1000 This guy's non stop complaining is nauseating. Who gives a $hit what he thinks? Jets had a great draft and we have adequate safety stock maybe we can try out a few undrafted prospects and I'm sure responsible guys like our Jets CS will look into that.

Geez some guys just can't be pleased

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Safety isn't really a problem on the team IMO. There's no star, so what?

There are no stars in this draft.

No sense is picking one just for the sake of picking one. The class is weak so move on and look next year.
    Really, and besides, the safeties that a lot of people were clamoring for (Jerron Johnson, Deunta Williams, Joe Lefeged) all went undrafted, so we still have a shot at them. It's important to stay true to your board and not reach for players that wouldn't get drafted (that's why I'm not thrilled with the Scotty pick. but really, being upset about a late 7th round pick is retarded).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeZiTe View Post
    Really, and besides, the safeties that a lot of people were clamoring for (Jerron Johnson, Deunta Williams, Joe Lefeged) all went undrafted, so we still have a shot at them. It's important to stay true to your board and not reach for players that wouldn't get drafted (that's why I'm not thrilled with the Scotty pick. but really, being upset about a late 7th round pick is retarded).
    Couldn't agree with you more man. There's heaps of prospects left to consider

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    +1000 This guy's non stop complaining is nauseating. Who gives a $hit what he thinks? Jets had a great draft and we have adequate safety stock maybe we can try out a few undrafted prospects and I'm sure responsible guys like our Jets CS will look into that.

Geez some guys just can't be pleased
    +1 three threads and not a single one about the great job that the FO did in the initial rounds

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

+1

that's why in 2 yrs, the jets won't be desperate for a slot wr/kr or rb, b/c they addressed these needs this draft. tanny has a longer term view of the team with the goal of being competitive every year. he could care less about those who bash the jets for not taking an olb or s yesterday. the jets got good value with their first 4 picks, and mcelroy will probably stick in some capacity. best of all, perhaps, the jets have all of their 2012 picks.