Thread: And...Chris Carter goes to the Steelers

All League

And...Chris Carter goes to the Steelers

Because they know how to DRAFT.

A 6'2 250lb edge rusher who had 10 sacks in 2010 is available in the fifth round, but the Jets trade up to REACH for a small, slow WR to be a kick returner...because they met him and thought he was a "good kid".

Clueless.

Guess what? Mr. Kerley woulda been there in the SIXTH.

Hey, maybe they can trade up to draft a Yovanovitz in the seventh...

Jets Insider VIP
    Are you some kind of master talent evaluator or something?

Brad Smith is as good as gone. We need to replace him and we did.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Are you some kind of master talent evaluator or something?

Brad Smith is as good as gone. We need to replace him and we did.
    Nope. But apparently the Steelers are...especially with these 3-4 OLB types.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    What the hell are the odds of us finding a double digit sack guy in the 5th/6th round?

Not very good at all.

I agree with jet engine, we need a pass rusher prospect more than anything, pitt will fit him into their scheme. I am not so down on the kerley pick as i am on the powell pick. We need a kr/wr type fine but we need a pass rusher more.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I agree with jet engine, we need a pass rusher prospect more than anything, pitt will fit him into their scheme. I am not so down on the kerley pick as i am on the powell pick. We need a kr/wr type fine but we need a pass rusher more.
    I agree I have no problem with the Kerley pick.All of our wr's our free agents.The Powell pick I really don't get

All League
    Steelers drafted two 3-4 OLB's recently, Bruce Davis from UCLA who they cut after his rookie year and Thaddeus Gibson who they cut during his rookie year. Steelers miss on a lot of players just like every other NFL team.

he's a smaller DE to OLB convert, knows nothing about dropping into coverage and not good against the run. probably a year or two away from being able to contribute. he wasn't going to fill a need this year and the jets probably think its better to target higher level pass rushing prospects next year. they filled a lot of holes with this draft, so look for the OLB's to be more productive this year with an upgraded DL

I completely agree with the OP -- in fact, I came here to comment on how ridiculous it was for them to pass on Carter ... for a guy who projects as a special teamer?????? When you're cringing next season as you watch the Jets unable to generate a pass rush, remember this pick.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    I completely agree with the OP -- in fact, I came here to comment on how ridiculous it was for them to pass on Carter ... for a guy who projects as a special teamer?????? When you're cringing next season as you watch the Jets unable to generate a pass rush, remember this pick.
    Wait so Chris Carter is guaranteed to be some sort of pass rush demon? He could flame out too you know... yeesh people always need something to claim is the end of the world.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Wait so Chris Carter is guaranteed to be some sort of pass rush demon? He could flame out too you know... yeesh people always need something to claim is the end of the world.
    No, but CHris Carter is a 6'2 250 lb guy who had 10 sacks last year, and he was available in the late rounds for whatever reason....he is EXACTLY the type of guy you can afford to try and move to 3-4 OLB - and to prove the point, was taken shortly after the Jets pick by the Steelers, a team that also runs the 3-4.

Nothing in the draft is a guarantee, but think of the best possible outcome for he picks:

Carter turns into an effective OLB Pass Rusher

Or Kerley becomes a slot receiver and Kick/punt returner.

I'd take the Pass Rusher any day of the week.

Practice Squad
    No, but CHris Carter is a 6'2 250 lb guy who had 10 sacks last year, and he was available in the late rounds for whatever reason....he is EXACTLY the type of guy you can afford to try and move to 3-4 OLB - and to prove the point, was taken shortly after the Jets pick by the Steelers, a team that also runs the 3-4.

Nothing in the draft is a guarantee, but think of the best possible outcome for he picks:

Carter turns into an effective OLB Pass Rusher

Or Kerley becomes a slot receiver and Kick/punt returner.

I'd take the Pass Rusher any day of the week.
    10 sacks against the Idaho's and New Mexico State's of the world. Rex 3-4 isn't built for undersize pass rushers like the Steelers do with their 3-4 set. Didn't know just because he is going to the Steelers that he will be going Canton

Red face

Jets have their pass rushing OLB's they're called Calvin Pace and Jammal Westerman. In addition they also have two young OLB's waiting in the wings in Cody Brown and Garrett McIntyre, plus they will bring in a few more for TC and there's always the June cuts, I'm not worried about the pass rush at all.

In fact, I think they pass rush will be lethal this year with those two monsters we just added and hopefully Pace will be 100%

He'll probably never play a significant down for them.

Mayock said Carter does not fit the Jets 3-4

Quote Originally Posted by NY State of Mind View Post
    Mayock said Carter does not fit the Jets 3-4
    Yeah and a short time later the team in this league that has defined the 3-4 over the last number of years picked him.

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Jets have their pass rushing OLB's they're called Calvin Pace and Jammal Westerman. In addition they also have two young OLB's waiting in the wings in Cody Brown and Garrett McIntyre, plus they will bring in a few more for TC and there's always the June cuts, I'm not worried about the pass rush at all.

In fact, I think they pass rush will be lethal this year with those two monsters we just added and hopefully Pace will be 100%
    Agreed, defer to the Jets CS expertise for those very same pointd you mentioned. I expect our pass rush to be much more active and prodctive thjis year, wouldn't be surpriesd to see some of our young prospects Brown, Westerman etc contributing. Also hope the Jets scour free agency and the undrafted players

All Pro
    Yeah and a short time later the team in this league that has defined the 3-4 over the last number of years picked him.
    that mirrors the remark i made in the draft thread...

I can't tell you how angry this made me. As probably Carter's biggest supporter here, i couldn't believe we passed him again, and again, and again.

Tanny better hope he doesn't develop into anything - otherwise he'll be hearing from me.

Pats and ravens helped define the 34 too...both use bigger lbs than the steelers. Carter is not such a talent that were at a loss here.