Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First pick in the 2012 NFL Draft is ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins44 View Post
    I'd be shocked if Carolina won 6 or 7 games, but it's always possible, as the league is so unpredicatable. I think, as always, the team finishing in last could be a team none of us expect to have a terrible season, but does -- Seattle, Jacksonville, San Fran, Tampa or Arizona?
    Carolina had 1 really bad injury last year with former Pitt Panther OT Jeff Otah. their OL fell apart after that... if he comes back healthy and the rest of the team pretends to give a crap they will be much better. sometimes they didn't seem interested in competing... that should change with new QB and new coach... this team got a 1st round playoff bye in 2009 it shouldn't really be a 2 win squad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I could easily see a scenario where Carolina ends up with the #1 pick again next year. That team was/is horrible and their going to have a green QB starting this year anyway you slice it (Newton or Clausen). Not to mention that their best player on offense, Steve Smith, wants out of town.

Imagine that, having the best QB prospect in the past 10+ years staring you in the face, and you're forced to pass because you gave Cam f*cking Newton a $60 million dollar contract the year before.

I would riot in the streets if I was a Panthers fan.
    I was thinking the same thing drafting Cam. He will not help Carolina win at all this year if they even play. With Barklay and Luck how could you not take a QB? IMO Terrelle Pryor will be the same prospect as Cam and likely be a 3rd or 4th rounder. I do think Carolina will end up with the 1st pick again. Normally I'd say they hit rock bottom and have no where to go but up but I dont think that is the case here. There draft did nothing to improve them this year. Unless they go FA crazy this team is in big trouble.

So do you really pass on the 2 blue chip prospects like that? And for what Blackmon, Jack Crawford, or Matt Kalil, I dont think so. That would be like someone passing on the next Joe Montana because you have the next Vince Young already. When your talking guys like Jones, John Brantley, and Kirk Cousins as possible 2nd rounders that is just crazy. Next year is sooo much stronger at QB then this year it is crazy. I commend all the GMs that didnt go stupid this year taking 2nd and 3rd round talent in the top 16. Arizona and Buff will be rewarded greatly next year.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 05-07-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carolina's going to have a top 5 rushing offense next year. With Gross/Wharton,/Kalil/ Robinson/Otah they have the OL for it. They have a Pro Bowl starter in Williams and a top tier #2 back/fairly recent first round pick Stewart. I'm calling it now to look cool later.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Carolina's going to have a top 5 rushing offense next year. With Gross/Wharton,/Kalil/ Robinson/Otah they have the OL for it. They have a Pro Bowl starter in Williams and a top tier #2 back/fairly recent first round pick Stewart. I'm calling it now to look cool later.
    Williams is a FA and not likely to return. At 27 he is going to be looking for a monster contract and I feel sorry for what ever team makes that call. They are also looking to resign about 4 or 5 starters on D and I dont expect Smith will be back either. Even if he is healthy I think they trade him and cut ties with that headache. The Fox era is over and when they get the chance I really think they clean house and cut the fat here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I was thinking the same thing drafting Cam. He will not help Carolina win at all this year if they even play. With Barklay and Luck how could you not take a QB? IMO Terrelle Pryor will be the same prospect as Cam and likely be a 3rd or 4th rounder. I do think Carolina will end up with the 1st pick again. Normally I'd say they hit rock bottom and have no where to go but up but I dont think that is the case here. There draft did nothing to improve them this year. Unless they go FA crazy this team is in big trouble.

So do you really pass on the 2 blue chip prospects like that? And for what Blackmon, Jack Crawford, or Matt Kalil, I dont think so. That would be like someone passing on the next Joe Montana because you have the next Vince Young already. When your talking guys like Jones, John Brantley, and Kirk Cousins as possible 2nd rounders that is just crazy. Next year is sooo much stronger at QB then this year it is crazy. I commend all the GMs that didnt go stupid this year taking 2nd and 3rd round talent in the top 16. Arizona and Buff will be rewarded greatly next year.
    Carolina's clearly in an unenviable position, sucks to be them and their management. Like you said they could conceivable end up with the 1st overall pick yet again next year then wut they gonna do?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Carolina had 1 really bad injury last year with former Pitt Panther OT Jeff Otah. their OL fell apart after that... if he comes back healthy and the rest of the team pretends to give a crap they will be much better. sometimes they didn't seem interested in competing... that should change with new QB and new coach... this team got a 1st round playoff bye in 2009 it shouldn't really be a 2 win squad.
    True but they have 6 games against TB, Atlanta and NO....Anything but 0-6 would be a huge surprise. Those are three really good teams!

Don't forget that 2009 squad had J Peppers and an experienced QB. I think Carolina had the lowest payroll and the youngest team in the NFL in 2010.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Carolina's clearly in an unenviable position, sucks to be them and their management. Like you said they could conceivable end up with the 1st overall pick yet again next year then wut they gonna do?
    You have enough forthought to take the best player available and not fall in love with a dubious QB. If the scenario plays out they have no one but themselves to blame and no excuse will be sufficient. Newton better be a friggin great qb or those guys should pay the price.