Thread: Pats Thinking?

All League
    Charter JI Member

Pats Thinking?

So much was made of the Pats having so many draft picks in the first 3 rounds this year. But....once again....they trade like crazy and end up with 2 #1s and 2 #2s next year.

Unfortunately, this is what I think the Pats were thinking.

Those picks next year could be worth a lot more next year then they would have been worth this year.

Why? - Rookie wage scale.

I'm 100% certain that whatever deal gets worked out this year, next year, the number 1, No. 1...isn't getting a contract with $30 million in guarantees and first round draft choices will be much easier to sign from a financial perspective.

That makes, taking any combination of your 2 #1s and 2 #2s and trading them to get into the top 5 a much easier pill to swallow.

Pats will be able to do whatever they want next year, from a pick perspective and from a $$$ perspective.

Fudge....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    So much was made of the Pats having so many draft picks in the first 3 rounds this year. But....once again....they trade like crazy and end up with 2 #1s and 2 #2s next year.

Unfortunately, this is what I think the Pats were thinking.

Those picks next year could be worth a lot more next year then they would have been worth this year.

Why? - Rookie wage scale.

I'm 100% certain that whatever deal gets worked out this year, next year, the number 1, No. 1...isn't getting a contract with $30 million in guarantees and first round draft choices will be much easier to sign from a financial perspective.

That makes, taking any combination of your 2 #1s and 2 #2s and trading them to get into the top 5 a much easier pill to swallow.

Pats will be able to do whatever they want next year, from a pick perspective and from a $$$ perspective.

Fudge....
    Your point is well taken. However, Brady isn't getting any younger. Eventually you need to draft some blue-chip play-makers to play with him. Do you really want to wait until he's 37 to do so? That gives you an awfully short window.

I have a feeling that when Brady is gone there will be a lot less people around calling Bellicheat a genius.
    Last edited by RIJetFan; 05-01-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Maybe. Only time will tell. By then it may be too late. They're an injury or two away from becoming mediocre.

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't really care how many picks they have next year.

Their track record dictates that they'll just trade those away for picks in 2013 and so forth anyway. Meanwhile, Brady gets older and older.

I don't understand their draft strategy at all. It just makes no sense.

This was the deepest DL draft in over 20 years and they didn't walk away with anyone significant.

There's so many ways they could've gone to screw us in the ass but it just didn't happen. I'm sorry, but Nate Solder doesn't scare me. Dowling and his endless injury history don't scare me. The plethora of 3rd down backs they drafted don't scare me.

They could've traded up for someone like Robert Quinn or Marcell Dareus and I would've been very nervous. They could've just stayed put and took a crazy combo like Cameron Jordan/Mark Ingram or Muhammad Wilkerson/Gabe Carimi and I would've been nervous.

Instead they walk away with a bunch of marginal talent, half of which won't even make their active roster most likely.

They f*cked up. Period.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Dowling and Cannon were nice picks

I spit my iced tea when he took the TE

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Your point is well taken. However, Brady isn't getting any younger. Eventually you need to draft some blue-chip play-makers to play with him. Do you really want to wait until he's 37 to do so? That gives you an awfully short window.

I have a feeling that when Brady is gone there will be a lot lett people around calling Bellicheat a genius.
    Bellichick will retire when Brady does so he doesnt have to lose any stigma.