Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pakistan

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4019185]one of the Pakistan diplomats made a good point

if the FBI can't find Whitey Bulger, in America (which has way better technology than Pakistan), how can the Pakistanis be counted on to know every inch of their land?

think about how many mafia criminals hide in plain sight

im not saying Pakistan is great and lovely and what a great friend but it's plausible they didn't know exactly where he was.[/QUOTE]

As usual, you wouldn't know Abbottabad from Costelloabad, or a terrorist compound from Compound W

A veritable palace rises up amidst a modest neighborhood in a police state and no one has a clue, not even the curry delivery guy (we deliver in 1/2 hour or the 1st beheading to restore your lost honor is on us)

BTW Pakistan was a longtime US Cold War ally of sorts, with India tilting towards the Soviets. India also had rules about foreign investment where they always controlled the majority interest, which discouraged US trade to a large extent

After their beatdown by India c. 1971 and the non-contiguous E. Pakistan/Bangladesh was spun off they radicalized/militarized more +
    became detached from the US and swore to go nuclear, which they did - and Clinton allowed both India and Pakistan on his watch to do so - in that interval B. Hussein was an "accidental" tourist there
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 05-03-2011 at 09:14 AM.

if the FBI can't find Whitey Bulger, in America (which has way better technology than Pakistan), how can the Pakistanis be counted on to know every inch of their land?

im not saying Pakistan is great and lovely and what a great friend but it's plausible they didn't know exactly where he was.[/QUOTE]

Normally, whether I agree with your posts or not, there is some internal logic to your thoughts. I guess everyone has their bad days.

Whitey Bulger did not Build a fortress of solitude next door to the miltary academmy at West Point.

Which Mafia figures are you talking about. It seems like pretty much all of them are well known. While they are fairly good at keeping quiet, they suck at hiding.

So, you are saying it is "plausible" for OBL to have built a large million dollar compound with 18 foot walls, barbed wire, and two security gates in a town populated with many of the Pakistan's Military elite within one half Kilometer of Paklistan's most elite military academy without anyone in Pakistan's intelligence agency noticing? Really!?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Bad analogy. The problem with the mafia was not finding them. The problem was building a case against them.

I pointed out yesterday there is obviously a big groundswell of goodwill for the taliban in Pakistan, and by extension OBL and his cronies.

Even the Pakistan national cricket team, which is the peak sport in the country, apparently had people in it who thought the taliban were "good blokes", according to an Aussie who coached the team in recent years.

It defies belief that Pakistan Intelligence would not know about this compound and who lived in it - it was in a military town and one of the largest residences in that town; intelligence services would go out of there way to find out who was living there. The only logical explanation is that not only did the Pakistan intelligence and military community know about this place and who was living there, but also that they were actually hiding OBL.

All Pro
    There is NO WAY Bin Laden built that compound and was living there in secrecy.

Those Paki pieces of garbage who hid this information from the U.S. military should be shot on sight. That country has provided a safe haven for countless terrorists and anti-Americans for long enough.

How anyone could defend their leaders and say it's possible they didn't know Bin Laden was there is beyond comprehension.

If he's hiding in a hole in the hills, sure it's plausible to believe they didn't know. But this dude was living in a milti-million dollar compound in a community that has many police and military residents. It's the biggest joint in town with 12 foot high walls.

Kill them all. I've had enough with being politically correct. Send a message to everyone in the world that if you're hiding our enemies, you're going to die with them.

Political Correctness is going to be the death of this country.

The Pakistani Government is in a no win situation. If they help they are wrong if they don't they are wrong. We don't live there so er have no idea what goes on over there. What Obama did was the right don't show your hand
    so know one knows what is going to happen. He showed leadership and I thank him for it! Thanks Mr President!

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;4019780]There is NO WAY Bin Laden built that compound and was living there in secrecy.

Those Paki pieces of garbage who hid this information from the U.S. military should be shot on sight. That country has provided a safe haven for countless terrorists and anti-Americans for long enough.

How anyone could defend their leaders and say it's possible they didn't know Bin Laden was there is beyond comprehension.

If he's hiding in a hole in the hills, sure it's plausible to believe they didn't know. But this dude was living in a milti-million dollar compound in a community that has many police and military residents. It's the biggest joint in town with 12 foot high walls.

[B]Kill them all.[/B] I've had enough with being politically correct. Send a message to everyone in the world that if you're hiding our enemies, you're going to die with them.

Political Correctness is going to be the death of this country.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps going a tad far? :rolleyes:

There are moderate elements in Pakistan and while there must have been elements in the military and intelligence that knew about his whereabouts, there was probably a great percentage that didn't. Not everyone in Pakistan is a sympathiser of terrorists, though clearly there is a rump of the population who think OBL was some sort of freedom fighter and deserving of Pakistan hospitality - which is pretty scary when you consider they have nukes.

Actually, it does beg the question on who else is hiding in Pakistan from the top levels of Al Qaida.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Black Death;4019822]Perhaps going a tad far? :rolleyes:

There are moderate elements in Pakistan and while there must have been elements in the military and intelligence that knew about his whereabouts, there was probably a great percentage that didn't. Not everyone in Pakistan is a sympathiser of terrorists, though clearly there is a rump of the population who think OBL was some sort of freedom fighter and deserving of Pakistan hospitality - which is pretty scary when you consider they have nukes.

Actually, it does beg the question on who else is hiding in Pakistan from the top levels of Al Qaida.[/QUOTE]

haha maybe a little over the top.

but the fact that he was hiding in plain sight in a country that we consider an ally says all that needs to be said.

The leaders there should be held accountable for their knowledge, and like you say, there's surely more where Bin Laden came from. He was just the biggest fish in the pond. No sense in rowing back to shore yet because there are plenty more fish to catch.

They are providing a safe haven for other people who want to destroy Americans and it's in our best interest to both find those people and hold accountable the people keeping information from us.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;4019795]The Pakistani Government is in a no win situation. If they help they are wrong if they don't they are wrong. We don't live there so er have no idea what goes on over there. What Obama did was the right don't show your hand
    so know one knows what is going to happen. He showed leadership and I thank him for it! Thanks Mr President![/QUOTE]

We are giving Pakistan $1B a year in aid. As far as I am concerned they are obligated to help. Don't like us? Then don't take our $.

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;4019837]haha maybe a little over the top.

but the fact that he was hiding in plain sight in a country that we consider an ally says all that needs to be said.

The leaders there should be held accountable for their knowledge, and like you say, there's surely more where Bin Laden came from. He was just the biggest fish in the pond. No sense in rowing back to shore yet because there are plenty more fish to catch.

They are providing a safe haven for other people who want to destroy Americans and it's in our best interest to both find those people and hold accountable the people keeping information from us.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's fair enough - I think in terms of holding them accountable Pete is onto something as well v v

[QUOTE=petejet;4019838]We are giving Pakistan $1B a year in aid. As far as I am concerned they are obligated to help. Don't like us? Then don't take our $.[/QUOTE]

it should also be noted that Pakistan has been embarrassed by this incident and could just choose to shape up on their own.

[QUOTE=petejet;4019663]Bad analogy. The problem with the mafia was not finding them. The problem was building a case against them.[/QUOTE]

they literally cannot find James Whitey Bulger

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_J._Bulger[/url]

like i said its very implausible they didn't know he was there but it's not impossible there are ways of hiding in plain sight

especially in a house with no internet, no telephone and no reason for anyone to disturb. someone yes in the neighborhood probably knew but i don't know the conspiracy goes all the way to the top.

it's also possible that Bin Ladin was sold out by someone who knew. This whole "they got the courier's name from Gitmo" isn't really enough to trade OBL to a neighborhood. the Al Queda love to sell each other out.

[QUOTE=petejet;4019838]We are giving Pakistan $1B a year in aid. As far as I am concerned they are obligated to help. Don't like us? Then don't take our $.[/QUOTE]

We can cut it off at anytime. We give money away to just about anyone and what do we get in exchange?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4019869]they literally cannot find James Whitey Bulger

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_J._Bulger[/url]

like i said its very implausible they didn't know he was there but it's not impossible there are ways of hiding in plain sight.[/QUOTE]

That's great.

Let me know when Whitey builds a maximum security, multi-million dollar compound in Arlington, Va. without the government's knowledge.

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;4019880]That's great.

Let me know when Whitey builds a maximum security, multi-million dollar compound in Arlington, Va. without the government's knowledge.[/QUOTE]

With guards that apparently sit outside with automatic weapons and RPG's...

Lindsey Graham may have put the conundrum re: U.S.-Pakistan relations best: "You cannot trust them and you cannot abandon them."

Sad but true.

DanaBashCNN

[QUOTE]2 congressional sources in closed briefing tell me on Pakistan, Panetta said "either they were involved or incompetent. Neither place is a good place to be."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;4019880]That's great.

Let me know when Whitey builds a maximum security, multi-million dollar compound in Arlington, Va. without the government's knowledge.[/QUOTE]

that's kinda the point. we wouldn't know

and as a side note i've seen people refer to the Bin ladin as a mansion or a luxury compound

have ya seen the pictures? it's a big sh}t shack

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;4020144]that's kinda the point. we wouldn't know

and as a side note i've seen people refer to the Bin ladin as a mansion or a luxury compound

have ya seen the pictures? it's a big sh}t shack[/QUOTE]

Your point is pointless. If Whitey built a mansion amongst other mansions - sure he might get away with it. But even though bin laden's was a sh1t shack it stuck out like a sore thumb. For a country that is paranoid about what goes on inside its borders its inconceivable that no one in the govt knew.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ken Lay is "dead".....:rolleyes: