Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who was a better prospect Wilkerson or Odrick

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Who was a better prospect Wilkerson or Odrick

Jared Odrick 6'5 305

Muhammad Wilkerson 6'4 315

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    its gonna sound homerish but wilkerson by alot

i saw both of these players up close. Wilkerson cause im in Philly and have seen Temple a couple times, Odrick i saw at the Senior Bowl. Wilkerson has vast untapped potential and a more steady player.

Odrick is maxed out but hot and cold. Odrick 1 play he'd dominate and make a TFL the next he'd be pancaked on the ground. Wilkerson is younger coming out and has more to learn but also more potential.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    its gonna sound homerish but wilkerson by alot

i saw both of these players up close. Wilkerson cause im in Philly and have seen Temple a couple times, Odrick i saw at the Senior Bowl. Wilkerson has vast untapped potential and a more steady player.

Odrick is maxed out but hot and cold. Odrick 1 play he'd dominate and make a TFL the next he'd be pancaked on the ground. Wilkerson is younger coming out and has more to learn but also more potential.
    Thanks for that, I'll take the more consistent player with the higher upside

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for Wilkerson using bit's reasoning. Also, if I want a prospect I don't go to Penn State. Not that I'd run to Temple either, but Al Golden's Temple? Sure.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is no homer, but Wilkerson easily. Wilk has some of the biggest upside in the whole 2011 class and I don't think you can say the same about Odrick in the 2010 class.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry -- I don't follow non-Jet players much . . .

Are we asking this question because Odrick turned out GOOD, and we're hoping Wilk can be even BETTER, or because Odrick STINKS and we're praying Wilk doesn't turn out the same?

Edit: Regardless, the responses to this are VERY encouraging

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Odrick was one of the guys I wanted no part of last year. I obviously don't think very highly of him and I'd be surprised if he ever became a dominant player.

Wilkerson is bigger, stronger, and faster. He's not a finished product and there's no telling if he'll ever reach his ceiling, but I'd take his skillset and athleticism over Odrick's any day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post

Are we asking this question because Odrick turned out GOOD, and we're hoping Wilk can be even BETTER, or because Odrick STINKS and we're praying Wilk doesn't turn out the same?

Odrick's just mediocre.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson

And that's from a guy who wanted Odrick last year. Mostly just because I wanted a young DL prospect so bady.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post

Odrick went 28th overall to the Dolphins last year and some discussions about maybe us taking him last year, just wanted to know who was a better prospect. Looks like Wilkerson had more production at younger ages, but he also played against lesser competition.

Odrick was placed on the IR his rookie season with the Dolphins.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know not many care for Kiper, but for what it's worth, I saw in one of his chats that he was asked how Odrick compared to Heyward and Kiper said that he thought Heyward was better. From this we can assume that he had Wilkerson ranked way ahead of Odrick considering that he had Wilkerson ranked 10 or so spots higher than Heyward.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a lot of talk in Miami about Odrick possibly being dogged by injuries his entire career. Apparently the leg issue that sidelined him last year was a preexisting issue.

That said, I really wanted him last year and wonder if the Jets would have taken him had he been available at 29.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Haha, I just realized I have the same nickname... even though it is not as fitting with me being 6-4 and 215 lbs as it is with Wilkerson...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Haha, I just realized I have the same nickname... even though it is not as fitting with me being 6-4 and 215 lbs as it is with Wilkerson...
    But its interesting that you went with "Flaming Mo". How come you didn't choose "Big Flaming Mo"?

As far as Odrick goes, I remember watching the PSU/OSU game in 2009 and coming away with the opinion that Hewyard was the best defensive player on the field. He was head and shoulders better than Odrick. I realize it was just one game, but it seemed telling to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    But its interesting that you went with "Flaming Mo". How come you didn't choose "Big Flaming Mo"?

As far as Odrick goes, I remember watching the PSU/OSU game in 2009 and coming away with the opinion that Hewyard was the best defensive player on the field. He was head and shoulders better than Odrick. I realize it was just one game, but it seemed telling to me.
    Well, Flaming Mo has been my email address for like forever, based on that one Simpsons episode. People usually just call me "Mo" or "Big Mo"...

Can't wait to see Wilkerson on the field... our frontline will be intimidating with the newly added size...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oldrick had a higher floor but less potential, I like Wilkenson at 24, but the oly reservation i had on him was that i thought he should have been more productve a lower level conference.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Oldrick had a higher floor but less potential, I like Wilkenson at 24, but the oly reservation i had on him was that i thought he should have been more productve a lower level conference.
    2010 (12 games): 70 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 9.5 sacks
    2009 (13 games): 61 tackles , 10.5 TFL, 7 sacks

Those numbers look pretty good to me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly don't know much about Wilkerson, but he seems really really llooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I forget where I read it, probably on this board, but it said how Temple didn't use Wilkerson to his full potential. They played a lot of read and react style of defense, so he had to stay back and read the plays instead of attacking. The article also said when they allowed Wilkerson to attack, he would dominate. So the read and react defense may have lessen his numbers, but his numbers looked pretty productive to me.