Thread: Anyone have Rick Gosselin's post-draft grade for the Jets?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have Rick Gosselin's post-draft grade for the Jets?

I usually look forward to reading his post-draft write-ups, but this year it's all behind a pay wall.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone? Anyone?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    he didn't really grade the draft but he said Kirley was the best pick of the 5th round

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    he didn't really grade the draft but he said Kirley was the best pick of the 5th round
    Casserly also touted Powell as being an excellent pick in his round as well, if I remember correctly

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Casserly also touted Powell as being an excellent pick in his round as well, if I remember correctly
    ... yep ...

... don't remember who, but the bama qb in the 7th has gotten good reviews as well ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I think the Jets got very good value throughout the draft...except for the last pick.

Two potential stud D-Linemen, a quality all-round RB, a terrific slot WR with wildcat capabilities and PR/KR ability, an ultra-smart winning QB who will be an asset as a long-term backup, plus another WR and buddy for our franchise QB.

Yup...good draft.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Personally, I think the Jets got very good value throughout the draft...except for the last pick.

Two potential stud D-Linemen, a quality all-round RB, a terrific slot WR with wildcat capabilities and PR/KR ability, an ultra-smart winning QB who will be an asset as a long-term backup, plus another WR and buddy for our franchise QB.

Yup...good draft.
    Whoever Cimini interviewed made a good point about McKnight...everyone in the league knew he was best friends with Sanchez, they just assumed that he would sign as a FA with the Jets. There wasn't any real need to draft him. I doubt anyone was swooping in behind us and grabbing him before the draft was over.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Whoever Cimini interviewed made a good point about McKnight...everyone in the league knew he was best friends with Sanchez, they just assumed that he would sign as a FA with the Jets. There wasn't any real need to draft him. I doubt anyone was swooping in behind us and grabbing him before the draft was over.
    Yeah we totally could have gotten him as a FA... I just think there was no real value at all that late in the draft, they werent getting a OLB prospect that could even make the team or adding depth to any other real area of need, so this pick A.) Gave us a happy QB (a QB who is quickly becoming the BIG DOG for this franchise) B.) A receiver who has chemistry with our QB and, C.) added depth at a very uncertain position on this team. I feel the pick was fantastic. The gesture of the phone call and the name being announced etc. is worth it for this team to continue to progress to the next level...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    this sounds true. that's why the jets shouldn't have drafted him, b/c they could always have signed him afterwards. that doesn't mean he's not a good 7th round prospect. these are 2 different things. i think the guy is good enough to draft in the 7th, but given his unique relationship with sanchez, the jets could have taken someone else and still signed him. in the end, it probably doesn't matter wrt the jets roster, but it suggests that sanchez has pull in personnel decisions. but when you think about it some more, why shouldn't sanchez have even a minor say in bringing in a sleeper wr who sanchez knows well, presumably has good chemistry with and is a decent candidate for the ps, especially if the jets don't re-sign both edwards and holmes. it's not like the jets have all these wrs locked up under contract and there's basically no way for this guy to compete for a roster spot.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ricky Airgoostus had Powell a third round pick, we snagged him
    with a late 4th

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Cimini has a decent point here, but he must be 'bored' due to the lockout, because this is mostly a non-issue and he should know it. Jets made their 'franchise quarterback' happy by drafting his best friend/workout partner...And he excelled at Colorado and does have potential, it's not like he's a F.C.S. backup.

Sure, if the Jets were looking for the 'best WR available' in round 7, there might've been better candidates than McKnight -- i.e. Jeff Maehl, Ricardo Lockette and Dane Sanzenbacher. But once you get to round 7, teams are willing to gamble because most of these guys fail anyway....A few years ago Charlie Casserly over at NFL.com broke down the success rate of picks in each round, and by the time you get to round 7, something like 5 to 10% of the guys have significant careers (even as backups) with the teams that picked them....Many of the top ex-7th rounders in the league today have been cut at least once --i.e Kevin Walter (drafted by the N.Y.G.) of the Texans, ect.

Also, the reality is 7th rounders are pretty much political picks, as some teams start picking friends of their star players, sons of ex-players that played with coaches and scouts and players represented by their 'agent friends'....For example, every year some coach or exec. that has ties to New Haven, CT (Pioli, Belichick & Sparano) seems to go out their way to pick a client of a very well known agent that resides in New Haven suburbs....This is probably the simple answer for why the K.C. Chiefs (Pioli is a So. Conn. grad) picked a little known TE/H-Back from Yale, who could've been easily signed as a undrafted free agent. These guys (Pioli, Belichick & Sparano) do this every year -- they hook up their agent pal starting in round 6 or 7? Sparano (coached at New Haven) picked a TE from Monmouth represented by this agent 2 years ago and the TE never made it....Belichick (played college ball in CT) scoops up this agents marginal prospects all the time in the latter round of draft or adds them to his practice squads -- i.e. the Ventrone brothers.

I've had contact with agents and some scouts for a while doing DD.com and I can tell you the draft is not ALWAYS about picking the best players -- especially once round 6 comes along.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins44 View Post
    I think Cimini has a decent point here, but he must be 'bored' due to the lockout, because this is mostly a non-issue and he should know it. Jets made their 'franchise quarterback' happy by drafting his best friend/workout partner...And he excelled at Colorado and does have potential, it's not like he's a F.C.S. backup.

Sure, if the Jets were looking for the 'best WR available' in round 7, there might've been better candidates than McKnight -- i.e. Jeff Maehl, Ricardo Lockette and Dane Sanzenbacher. But once you get to round 7, teams are willing to gamble because most of these guys fail anyway....A few years ago Charlie Casserly over at NFL.com broke down the success rate of picks in each round, and by the time you get to round 7, something like 5 to 10% of the guys have significant careers (even as backups) with the teams that picked them....Many of the top ex-7th rounders in the league today have been cut at least once --i.e Kevin Walter (drafted by the N.Y.G.) of the Texans, ect.

Also, the reality is 7th rounders are pretty much political picks, as some teams start picking friends of their star players, sons of ex-players that played with coaches and scouts and players represented by their 'agent friends'....For example, every year some coach or exec. that has ties to New Haven, CT (Pioli, Belichick & Sparano) seems to go out their way to pick a client of a very well known agent that resides in New Haven suburbs....This is probably the simple answer for why the K.C. Chiefs (Pioli is a So. Conn. grad) picked a little known TE/H-Back from Yale, who could've been easily signed as a undrafted free agent. These guys (Pioli, Belichick & Sparano) do this every year -- they hook up their agent pal starting in round 6 or 7? Sparano (coached at New Haven) picked a TE from Monmouth represented by this agent 2 years ago and the TE never made it....Belichick (played college ball in CT) scoops up this agents marginal prospects all the time in the latter round of draft or adds them to his practice squads -- i.e. the Ventrone brothers.

I've had contact with agents and some scouts for a while doing DD.com and I can tell you the draft is not ALWAYS about picking the best players -- especially once round 6 comes along.
    Good info..Thanks for sharing. And we've missed you here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Good info..Thanks for sharing. And we've missed you here.
    Thank you C Mart....By the way, sometimes these 'political picks' work out well. Marc Mariani made the Pro Bowl as a rookie in '10....It's very likely that the only reason he was drafted at all (Tenn/Rd. 7), is because he played at Montana with Jeff Fisher's son. Mariani and the younger Fisher were supposedly very good friends....I can't imagine Tenn. fans are complaining about that 7th round pick?

Gary Kubiak has drafted several Colorado State players in the latter rounds, who played with son, and at least two have worked out real well. Wade Phillips drafted some U.T.E.P. players when he was the head coach of the Bills -- his son was QB at the school.

How about Cody Grimm? Bitonti sat next to his older brother last year on a plane back from the Senior Bowl. His brother, as well as his Hall of Famer dad, are coaches in the N.F.L. That's probably the only reason Cody was selected by the Bucs (or any team)....but it worked out well, as many believe he was their best draft pick last year -- when Tanard Jackson was suspended he did a great job until he went on the IR...Most TB writers claim he easily outplayed the teams top two picks -- McCoy and Price (both DT's).

I don't think teams like Jets would pass on a future star if he was available, but once round 6 & 7 rolls around, the sure things are long gone. Why not grab a competent player that has some connection to the team?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post

Yup...good draft.
    Agree 100%. That's the way you need to look at a draft, based on what picks the team has, where they're positioned in each round and what players were available when they made their selection. Looking at it that way the Jets seemed to get players of higher quality/grade than where they were selected (i.e. great value).

It seemed like with almost every pick the Jets made some commentator would say something like, "that's a guy who shouldn't even be there anymore?" or "how this guy is still on the board I don't know."

You can't fill every need and hope in a draft but we hit on some key things, particularly getting younger, deeper and more talented on the D-line and adding some youth/eventual replacements for KR/PR (Brad Smith) and RB (LT, et al.).

Good draft. Now we wait and see.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Agree 100%. That's the way you need to look at a draft, based on what picks the team has, where they're positioned in each round and what players were available when they made their selection. Looking at it that way the Jets seemed to get players of higher quality/grade than where they were selected (i.e. great value).

It seemed like with almost every pick the Jets made some commentator would say something like, "that's a guy who shouldn't even be there anymore?" or "how this guy is still on the board I don't know."

You can't fill every need and hope in a draft but we hit on some key things, particularly getting younger, deeper and more talented on the D-line and adding some youth/eventual replacements for KR/PR (Brad Smith) and RB (LT, et al.).

Good draft. Now we wait and see.
    don't forget cromartie, with the 2nd rounder, though it remains to be seen if he sticks.