Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Find Out Where You Fit In The Political Spectrum

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;4022679]In that case I would encourage you to become a democrat. We don't want anyone on our team who calls himself a liberal on anything, so its best for everyone if you join the other side. :P

But seriously, you sound like a libertarian on some issues, conservative on others, and liberal on others, which means you probably should register as an independent. The downside is you cannot vote in the Republican or Democrat primaries, but politically you'll be where you are philosophically.[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, he could pick a party and vote his views to shape one of the major players in a more moderate direction.

One element missing was religion, and I think that is a key factor in the typical conservative/liberal divide. Religious/moral beliefs either way can quickly introduce tension within an ideology. For most, religion trumps political ideology, as you would expect it to, and therefore is foundational to how ones politics is shaped...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4022589]...I didn't really agree with any of the choices for some of the questions.

I don't believe in absolutes.[/QUOTE]

I got about 4 questions in and was fed-up. The questions were a bit loaded too, imho.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;4022778]I don't want to minimize the importance of that, especially if abortion is a deeply held conviction or [B]you think the candidates position on abortion says something important about the candidates heart, which will guide him or her in other areas as well[/B], but you should know meaningful change on that particular issue is unlikely and if its not that philosphically important to you, if you don't think it says anything important about the candidates heart (one way or the other), then its probably not an issue you should base your decision on.

In that case you are probably better served focusing on [B]1 & 2[/B] and the issues where meaningful change is more likely, or maintaining the status quo if you are happy with the current direction.[/QUOTE]

That's where I am, which is why I think it's MORE important than #1 and #2. How many things did people legitimately think Obama was going to change? How many of those changes actually occured? (And how often did the OPPOSITE happen?) Instead of going against my principles in the "hope" that something changes, I'd rather have a clear conscience knowing I voted for the person who stands for what I believe in most (even if he is unable to affect change in that area). If you believe (as I do) that abortion is infanticide, I cannot support a candidate with such a view, even if he might be able to get me a few more tax dollars in the process. . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    anti Christian crypto commie.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=majormajor42;4022549]same same

post-modern[/QUOTE]

I probably would have fallen into the same category, but I'm religious, so they shifted me to "new coalition democrat" . . . which is wrong

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=King Koopa;4022692]Haha, thanks....I also could not figure it out because every test I take online puts me somewhere close to the middle of the political spectrum.

I guess independent would be perfect because if a Republican or Democrat has a good idea or view I agree with, I am all for it. I also would prefer to never "have to" back an idea I don't agree with just because they are in the same party.

It will be interesting to see if any of the republican candidates have views similar to mine during the primaries......I like some of Obama's views but he is far too liberal for me in some aspects
    [B]
    I know it would piss a lot of hardcore conservatives off (including you Ham as far as I can tell), but if the Republicans could find a candidate that was very laid back and progressive on some of the social and moral issues but still had the views of a conservative spending wise, they would be golden. IMO they would have a great chance to pick up a ton of independent votes,especially a lot of the younger generation. JMO[/B][/QUOTE]

This.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4022709]Do you think if Bloomberg were the Republican nominee they would take New York in the electoral college? Or still no chance?[/QUOTE]

Yes. He'd carry upstate (which always votes republican) and a large portion of the city and the island. Not 100% certain, but NY would be very much in play, and the Democrats can't win the white house without NY

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4022831]Yes. He'd carry upstate (which always votes republican) and a large portion of the city and the island. Not 100% certain, but NY would be very much in play, and the Democrats can't win the white house without NY[/QUOTE]

Bloomberg would be fried in traditional Republican strongholds because of his position on gun control. The Dems could literally lose NY with a liberal candidate with a pro gun rights position and destroy Bloomberg in traditional Republican strongholds.

Bloomberg is head and shoulders better then almost anyone on either side but his strong gun control position has destroyed him as a potential national candidate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;4022778]See here's the thing you need to understand, Koops, and I'm only offering you advice because you're a political novice by your own admission and you asked for advice.

Its very rare you will find a candidate who perfectly reflects your views from A to Z. You will almost always have to overlook this or that, so what you really want to look at are three things.[B]

[COLOR=Red]Note: The Primaries are a different story, thats where you can afford to be more of a rigid ideologue, this refers more to the general election and moreso for a political independent such as yourself.[/COLOR][/B] [/quote]

Which is why we folks in the middle continue to be disgusted with the choices we're offered in the general election.
    [QUOTE]
    [B]1.[/B] Which candidate agrees with me more often than the other(s)?

[B]2.[/B] Which candidate agrees with me on my most deeply held convictions, the things that matter most too me?

[B]3.[/B] On the issues where we disagree, can the candidate I otherwise prefer really affect meaningful change on those issues (i.e. abortion) or is that more of a philosophical disagreement where affecting meaningful change is highly unlikely, where even if you change the complexion of the Court and they overturn Wade (highly unlikely), but even if they do that would only give the issue back to the States and most States would not criminalize or restrict abortion in any meaningful way, not until the heart of the nation has shifted and the elites have followed course.[/QUOTE]

I'd add a fourth criteria that's more meaningful to me than almost anything the other 3 would tell me: Do I respect the candidate's intelligence and integrity?

I'm smart enough to know that reasonable people can disagree on things, and that a person in office who disagrees with me on a number of issues won't tank the country. Hell, I might even be the wrong one. So I'm much more likely to vote for a candidate I significantly disagree with but who has the courage of his convictions and whose thought process I respect (like a Paul Ryan or a Chris Christie) than I am for a candidate who seems more in line with me on the issues but more likely to be a political weathervane if elected.

Now obviously, there are certain red-lines, issues that, if a candidate is too far on the other side of, I'm not voting for them no matter how much I respect them. But there aren't a whole ton of those.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;4022838]See but for you that falls into category #2 (deeply held conviction)

#3 is for those who do not feel as deeply about the issue, otherwise the issue falls into category #2 for that person.[/QUOTE]

Reading comprehension is SO overrated . . .:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4022836]Bloomberg would be fried in traditional Republican strongholds because of his position on gun control. The Dems could literally lose NY with a liberal candidate with a pro gun rights position and destroy Bloomberg in traditional Republican strongholds.

Bloomberg is head and shoulders better then almost anyone on either side but his strong gun control position has destroyed him as a potential national candidate.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. The one thing that's become clear on the republican side of the aisle in recent years is the "anyone but Obama" rhetoric. After banging the "Obama's economic policies are going to destroy the nation" drum for four years, it will be hard to say "give him four more because Bloomy wants gun control".

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4022847]I disagree. The one thing that's become clear on the republican side of the aisle in recent years is the "anyone but Obama" rhetoric. After banging the "Obama's economic policies are going to destroy the nation" drum for four years, it will be hard to say "give him four more because Bloomy wants gun control".[/QUOTE]

Disagree strongly. Gun rights trump everything else for most Conservatives and Bloomberg is the face of gun control for the gun lobby. Blue dog Democrats who are needed to elect Republicans will never vote for Bloomberg.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 05-06-2011 at 09:48 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Result:

Libertarians
    9% of the public

[U]What They Believe[/U]
    •Economically very conservative but moderate to liberal on social issues (Agree)
    •Highly critical of government (Agree)
    •Strongly pro-business (Agree)
    •Accepting of homosexuality (Agree)
    •Less religious than the average American (Agree)
    •Moderate views about immigrants compared to other GOP-oriented groups (Unsure, Agree for LEGAL Immigrants and changing Policy,stringlydisagree on ILLEGAL Aliens).

[U]Who They Are[/U]
    •Strong Republican-orientation, though a majority identify as independents (I self-identify as a Libertarian Conservative)
    •Affluent: 39% have incomes of $75,000 or more (I do not)
    •Two-thirds are male (I am)
    •85% are non-Hispanic whites (I am)
    •About seven-in-ten (71%) have attended college (I have)
    •About half as likely as the two strongest GOP groups to attend church weekly (I do not)
    •56% use social networking sites (I do not)
    •36% trade stocks (I do not)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4022854]Disagree strongly. Gun rights trump everything else for most Conservatives and Bloomberg is the face of gun control for the gun lobby. Blue dog Democrats who are needed to elect Republicans will never vote for Bloomberg.[/QUOTE]

Hate to say it, but there are wide swaths of this country that would not vote for a Jewish candidate for President, regardless whether he (or she, which is even more unlikely) carried a rifle on the back of his pick-up truck and wore a flannel shirt and cowboy boots.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4022860]My Result:

Libertarians
    9% of the public

[U]What They Believe[/U]
    •Economically very conservative but moderate to liberal on social issues (Agree)
    •Highly critical of government (Agree)
    •Strongly pro-business (Agree)
    •Accepting of homosexuality (Agree)
    •Less religious than the average American (Agree)
    •Moderate views about immigrants compared to other GOP-oriented groups (Unsure, Agree for LEGAL Immigrants and changing Policy,stringlydisagree on ILLEGAL Aliens).

[U]Who They Are[/U]
    •Strong Republican-orientation, though a majority identify as independents (I self-identify as a Libertarian Conservative)
    •Affluent: 39% have incomes of $75,000 or more (I do not)
    •Two-thirds are male (I am)
    •85% are non-Hispanic whites (I am)
    •About seven-in-ten (71%) have attended college (I have)
    •About half as likely as the two strongest GOP groups to attend church weekly (I do not)
    •56% use social networking sites (I do not)
    •36% trade stocks (I do not)[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute, you're a guy?

:D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [SIZE="4"][B]Post-Moderns[/B][/SIZE]
    13% OF THE PUBLIC

[B]What They Believe[/B]
    - Generally supportive of government, though more conservative on race policies and the safety net (Agree)

- Strongly supportive of regulation and environmental protection (I wouldn't say "Strongly" supportive)

- Most (56%) say Wall Street helps the economy more than it hurts (Agree)

- Very liberal on social issues, including same-sex marriage (Agree)

- One of the least religious groups: nearly a third are unaffiliated with any religious tradition (You could call me a lapsed catholic, so I guess this is true)

Favor the use of diplomacy rather than force (Agree)

[B]Who They Are[/B]
    - The youngest of the typology groups: 32% under age 30 (I'm in my early 30s)

- A majority are non-Hispanic white and have at least some college experience (non-Hispanic white with a college degree)

- Half live in either the Northeast or the West (Northeast)

- A majority (58%) live in the suburbs (I do)

- 63% use social networking (I do)

- One-in-five regularly listen to NPR; 14% regularly watch The Daily Show (I don't listen to NPR and I don't watch the Daily Show)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;4022901]I would vote for Obama if the choice was him and Bloomberg and there was no alternative and I had to cast a vote.

I have more respect for a liberal who calls himself a liberal, than a liberal who cross-dresses as a centrist Republican.

I also think Bloomberg has a strong totalitarian streak that rubs me the wrong way, from his over the top smoke nazi agenda to his wanting to tell people how much energy they can consume or what not to eat (salt, etc.), I just find this man detestable in a way Obama (who is actually fairly likeable, politics aside) cannot even begin to approach.

[B]Honestly, Bloomberg easily cracks my TOP 10 of politicians I have most detested in my lifetime.[/B] I just can't stomach someone who has an impulse to stick his nose into every aspect of peoples lives and LEGISLATE IT when placed in a position of authority. I don't even smoke, but IMO the way he has treated smokers is a disgrace. Too me this man is an ego-maniacal authoritarian and I would absolutely vote for Obama over Bloomberg.[/QUOTE]

I dunno bout anyone else, but I'd love to see that list. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this won't come as a surprise to the board but i was a

Solid Liberals

14% of the public
    What They Believe

Strongly pro-government and very liberal on a broad range of issues
    Very supportive of regulation, environmental protection and government assistance to the poor
    One of the most secular groups; 59% say that religion is not that important to them
    Supportive of the country's growing racial and ethnic diversity
    Two-thirds disagree with the Tea Party

Who They Are

Highly politically engaged
    75% are Democrats
    Concentrated in the Northeast and West
    57% are female
    Best educated of the groups: 49% hold at least a bachelor's degree and 27% have post-graduate experience
    A third regularly listen to NPR, about two-in-ten regularly watch The Daily Show and read The New York Times
    59% have a passport
    42% regularly buy organic foods
    21% are first or second generation Americans

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Top of the heep. I guess I am a staunch conservative with a side of spanish rice!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;4023059]You might be surprised, at least half of my list will consist of so-called Republicans (AKA RINO's)

I'm not even gonna count rabble-rousers and race hustlers who never served in any real capacity.

[B][U]IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER[/U][/B]

[LIST=1][*]Mike Bloomberg[*]Nelson Rockefeller[*]John Lindsay[*]Lowell Weicker[*]John Dean[*]Ted Kennedy[*]Bill Clinton[*]Mario Cuomo[*]Anthony Weiner[*]Charles Schumer[/LIST]The last two I got lazy, so I went with a couple of NY lefties who piss me off because they try to masquerade as moderates. I hate that. I have more respect for principled liberals who say "I'm a liberal" and don't try to fool people.

Also its only natural for me to have stronger feelings about NY pols which makes up more than half of my list.[/QUOTE]

Wow, no Jimmy Carter?