Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama on 60 minutes today

Veteran

Obama on 60 minutes today

Did anyone happen to watch this tonight? I actually have not been the biggest fan of Obama and I really don't feel it is necessary for me to explain why but I have absolutely 100% agree on how he handled this entire Bin Laden situation. Recently there have been complaints from American citizens saying that the people should not be happy about this and that we should not have killed him. Well I say eff that, the man murdered over 3,000 Americans, and 15,000 people worldwide. People cannot be happy for this? They cannot celebrate that this world is a safer place or maybe that they have family / friends away in afghan that may be coming home? Or maybe they are just happy for closure since a lot people may have lost someone due to 9/11. To all those people who dare criticize the people celebrating or how Obama handled it, well eff you...if you don't like this country so much move to France. Please someone let me know if I am crazy to think this way and share your thoughts...I will end this with the words that our president ended the interview:

"As nervous as I was about this whole process, the one thing I didn't lose sleep over was the possibility of taking bin Laden out. Justice was done. [B]And I think that anyone who would question that the perpetrator of mass murder on American soil didn't deserve what he got needs to have their head examined." [/B]President Obama on 60 minutes 5/8/2011

Sorry for the rant but this has been driving me crazy and at least I have the satisfaction to know that our president feels the same as me.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=RevisCroWilson;4024372]Did anyone happen to watch this tonight? I actually have not been the biggest fan of Obama and I really don't feel it is necessary for me to explain why but I have absolutely 100% agree on how he handled this entire Bin Laden situation. Recently there have been complaints from American citizens saying that the people should not be happy about this and that we should not have killed him. Well I say eff that, the man murdered over 3,000 Americans, and 15,000 people worldwide. People cannot be happy for this? They cannot celebrate that this world is a safer place or maybe that they have family / friends away in afghan that may be coming home? Or maybe they are just happy for closure since a lot people may have lost someone due to 9/11. To all those people who dare criticize the people celebrating or how Obama handled it, well eff you...if you don't like this country so much move to France. Please someone let me know if I am crazy to think this way and share your thoughts...I will end this with the words that our president ended the interview:

"As nervous as I was about this whole process, the one thing I didn't lose sleep over was the possibility of taking bin Laden out. Justice was done. [B]And I think that anyone who would question that the perpetrator of mass murder on American soil didn't deserve what he got needs to have their head examined." [/B]President Obama on 60 minutes 5/8/2011

Sorry for the rant but this has been driving me crazy and at least I have the satisfaction to know that our president feels the same as me.[/QUOTE]

You are not crazy for thinking this.

[QUOTE=RevisCroWilson;4024372]Did anyone happen to watch this tonight? I actually have not been the biggest fan of Obama and I really don't feel it is necessary for me to explain why but I have absolutely 100% agree on how he handled this entire Bin Laden situation. Recently there have been complaints from American citizens saying that the people should not be happy about this and that we should not have killed him. Well I say eff that, the man murdered over 3,000 Americans, and 15,000 people worldwide. People cannot be happy for this? They cannot celebrate that this world is a safer place or maybe that they have family / friends away in afghan that may be coming home? Or maybe they are just happy for closure since a lot people may have lost someone due to 9/11. To all those people who dare criticize the people celebrating or how Obama handled it, well eff you...if you don't like this country so much move to France. Please someone let me know if I am crazy to think this way and share your thoughts...I will end this with the words that our president ended the interview:

Sorry for the rant but this has been driving me crazy and at least I have the satisfaction to know that our president feels the same as me.[/QUOTE]

The two schools of thought of those who think Bin Laden should not have been killed are:

1. Those who believe he could have been a more useful intelligence resource if captured alive.

and

2. Those who believe that the issuance of American justice should always be preceded by a trial.

No one that I've heard has expressed any real doubt about the ultimate fate which Bin Laden had earned. If you look at who said what, you'll find their motivation's pretty easy to spot -- few people spoke out of anything other than self-justification.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=RevisCroWilson;4024372]Did anyone happen to watch this tonight? I actually have not been the biggest fan of Obama and I really don't feel it is necessary for me to explain why but I have absolutely 100% agree on how he handled this entire Bin Laden situation. Recently there have been complaints from American citizens saying that the people should not be happy about this and that we should not have killed him. Well I say eff that, the man murdered over 3,000 Americans, and 15,000 people worldwide. [B]People cannot be happy for this? They cannot celebrate that this world is a safer place or maybe that they have family / friends away in afghan that may be coming home?[/B] Or maybe they are just happy for closure since a lot people may have lost someone due to 9/11. To all those people who dare criticize the people celebrating or how Obama handled it, well eff you...if you don't like this country so much move to France. Please someone let me know if I am crazy to think this way and share your thoughts...I will end this with the words that our president ended the interview:

I completely agree that the bastard is right where he belongs right now. He deserved to die a horrible, gruesome death. The SEALs might have been too easy on him, actually.

But does his death [I]really[/I] make the world a safer place? I don't know. There are still millions of radicals who want to spill American blood and have the means to do it. Killing Bin Laden might have just made this worse.

His death it doesn't mean any of my friends or family in the Marines/Army are coming home any sooner. Most of the troops deployed will still be. This was a small unit, special mission. It's not the end of a war.

Board Moderator
    Saw the whole interview. Thought it was really good and insightful.

I'm indifferent about him, but he was awesome in this piece.

Damn liberal media.

I apprecitate the fact he says "war on al qaeda" and not "war on terror" we are at war with real people not a noun.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-08-2011 at 11:25 PM.

[QUOTE=fukushimajin;4024395]The two schools of thought of those who think Bin Laden should not have been killed are:

1. Those who believe he could have been a more useful intelligence resource if captured alive.

and

2. Those who believe that the issuance of American justice should always be preceded by a trial.

No one that I've heard has expressed any real doubt about the ultimate fate which Bin Laden had earned. If you look at who said what, you'll find their motivation's pretty easy to spot -- few people spoke out of anything other than self-justification.[/QUOTE]

At first, I felt "The US captured Osama bin Laden" would've been more impressive news.

But giving it some thought, his capture could result in multiple Americans held hostage scenarios overseas. Then we'd regret not terminating him when it was most convenient during the one-shot raid.

I still don't get the "luxurious mansion" nonsense. That dump looks like the typical auto repair shop in Sun Valley, CA.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4024420]I apprecitate the fact he says "war on al qaeda" and not "war on terror" we are at war with real people not a noun.[/QUOTE]

Al Qaeda isn't the only source of terrorism in the world.

[QUOTE=pauliec;4024437]Al Qaeda isn't the only source of terrorism in the world.[/QUOTE]

Aren't you smart. They are though the only ones responsible for 9/11, and the reason we invaded 2 countries. And I hate to repeat this, since I'm sure you have heard it a millions, one of those countries had nothing to do with 9/11 and were not a threat to this country.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-09-2011 at 01:27 AM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Ha Ha Ha;4024416]Saw the whole interview. Thought it was really good and insightful.

[B]I'm indifferent about him, but he was awesome in this piece.[/B]

Damn liberal media.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I loved him in this interview.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4024440]Aren't you smart. They are though the only ones responsible for 9/11, and the reason we invaded 2 countries. And I hate to repeat this, since I'm sure you have heard it a millions, one of those countries had nothing to do with 9/11 and were not a threat to this country.[/QUOTE]

So, we are only concerned with pursuing terrorists that have been successful in inflicting harm on us? That's kind of myopic, don't you think?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4024440]Aren't you smart. They are though the only ones responsible for 9/11, and the reason we invaded 2 countries. And I hate to repeat this, since I'm sure you have heard it a millions, one of those countries had nothing to do with 9/11 and were not a threat to this country.[/QUOTE]

Aren't you smart. We didn't invade Iraq because of Al Qaeda.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    It's the hypocricy (as usual) that hets to me, not the fact Bin Laden was killed (which I fully support).

For 8 years, those of a left-leaning bent (including many posters here) made the argument that the "War on Terror" was a purely Law Enforcement issue, that terrorists deserved the same rights as any other criminal, and that it was Bush's facist millitarism than changed a Law issue into a War issue.

Now that their man is in office, making the calls, outright assassination is perfectly acceptable, rights smights. Gitmo, so what! Wiretapping, so what! Patriot Act, so what! Rendition, so what! Waterboarding, so what!

I can live with almost any position someone might take, we can always debate a position, pro, con, and find room for agreement, or just agree to disagee.

But this forum has become so horribly hypocritical, it's impossible to have a rational debate anymore with anyone who's been here pre-Obama. Because the positions each "side" takes has now shifted 100%. The "signing Statements" issue was a perfect example, and exposes why it's so hard here now. Then: 20,000 word manifesto on the evil of the Tyrant Bush for using Signing Staements. Now: "Non story" when Obama uses them. Then: Wagaing War in Iraq is Evil. Now: Waging War in Libya is Hummanitarianism!

Whats the point of debate really, when positions shift like grains of sand on a beach? Far easier to TLDR: If a Lefty did it, it's ok/bad, if a righty did it, it's ok/bad, all based on the lefty/righty of the poster. No need to read much beyond that.
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4024420]I apprecitate the fact he says "war on al qaeda" and not "war on terror" we are at war with real people not a noun.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4024533]If a Lefty did it, it's ok/bad, if a righty did it, it's ok/bad, all based on the lefty/righty of the poster. No need to read much beyond that.

Agreed.[/QUOTE]

Been saying that for 8 years, only to get dismissed. "Gays bad....lemme suck your shaft in an airport bathroom". Sucks, doesn't it? N'yuk....:P

[QUOTE=Warfish;4024533]
    Whats the point of debate really, when positions shift like grains of sand on a beach? [/QUOTE]

"as the facts change, so do my opinions" - John Maynard Keynes

do we really expect people to stand by things they said 10 years ago? the facts and the people have all changed. all that matters is now. otherwise we are all hypocrites about something.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4024578]"as the facts change, so do my opinions" - John Maynard Keynes

do we really expect people to stand by things they said 10 years ago? the facts and the people have all changed. all that matters is now. otherwise we are all hypocrites about something.[/QUOTE]

Amazing how the "facts" have changed perfectly for lefties to support what they once decried, and righties to denounce what they once supported, eh?

The part you got right "the people changed". They sure did, as did their parties, and that is why the opinions have all changed so drasticly.

Excuse make all you like Bit. Hypocricy still has the rotten odor it always had.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4024489]Aren't you smart. We didn't invade Iraq because of Al Qaeda.[/QUOTE]

are you suggesting there was no effort to connect Iraq to 9/11 in the run up to that war?

[QUOTE=Warfish;4024583]
    Excuse make all you like Bit. Hypocricy still has the rotten odor it always had.[/QUOTE]

you use this word every day... yet i wonder if you know what it means

hypocrisy (hɪˈpɒkrəsɪ)

n , pl -sies
    1. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behaviour, [b]esp the pretence of virtue and piety[/b]
    2. an act or instance of this

tweaking political policy minutae is not hypocrisy. that's just evolving a viewpoint. A person who is pro choice becoming pro life is not a hypocrite. if that person still went to pro choice rallies and "professed standards contrary to their real character" that would be hypocritical.

but actually changing one's mind is allowed. there's nothing hypocritical about having an open mind.

It's called decision making and we all have a chance to do this, every day when the sun rises.
    Last edited by bitonti; 05-09-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4024613]are you suggesting there was no effort to connect Iraq to 9/11 in the run up to that war?[/QUOTE]

Only by lying liberals. The Bush Administration made it clear that the invasion of Iraq was about a supposed WMD program, and that there were no ties to 9/11.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4024652]Only by lying liberals. The Bush Administration made it clear that the invasion of Iraq was about a supposed WMD program, and that there were no ties to 9/11.[/QUOTE]

Haha. Talk about historical revisionism.

[QUOTE]The reason I keep insisting that there was a relationship between Iraq and Saddam and al Qaeda: because there was a relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda," Bush said after a Cabinet meeting. As evidence, he cited Iraqi intelligence officers' meeting with bin Laden in Sudan. "There's numerous contacts between the two," Bush said.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]In late 2001, Cheney said it was "pretty well confirmed" that attack mastermind Mohamed Atta had met with a senior Iraqi intelligence official. Later, Cheney called Iraq the "geographic base of the terrorists who had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Bush, in 2003, said "the battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September the 11th, 2001."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Beyond the Sept. 11 attacks, administration officials have also suggested that there had been cooperation between Iraq and al Qaeda that went beyond contacts. Bush last year called Hussein "an ally of al Qaeda." Just this Monday, Cheney said Hussein "had long-established ties with al Qaeda."

In January, Cheney said the "best source" of information on the subject was an article in the Weekly Standard, which reported: "Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein had an operational relationship from the early 1990s to 2003 that involved training in explosives and weapons of mass destruction, logistical support for terrorist attacks, al Qaeda training camps and safe haven in Iraq, and Iraqi financial support for al Qaeda -- perhaps even for Mohamed Atta -- according to a top secret U.S. government memorandum."

Bush, in a February 2003 radio address, said: "Iraq has sent bombmaking and document forgery experts to work with al Qaeda. Iraq has also provided al Qaeda with chemical and biological weapons training. And an al Qaeda operative was sent to Iraq several times in the late 1990s for help in acquiring poisons and gases. We also know that Iraq is harboring a terrorist network headed by a senior al Qaeda terrorist planner. This network runs a poison and explosive training camp in northeast Iraq, and many of its leaders are known to be in Baghdad."[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiNtpIpD6k[/url]

Maybe you were too busy with George Bush's cock in your mouth to remember all this. ;)

The idea that there was not an effort by the previous administration and other Republicans to connect Iraq to 9/11 and al Qaeda in the run up to that war is laughable. It's only after the war was sold and forged that the administration backed off those comments and admitted they were wrong, something they must of gotten use to when it came to Iraq.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-09-2011 at 12:16 PM.