Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk Vontaze Burfict...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I said above, it would be perfect to replace the Madbacker with that Maschine...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He will be a Jet mark my words..

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is, I played against him in the Southern Cal section championship game in high school, and the dude is a beast!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's #1 on my Jets big board. I'd move up to get him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Wright View Post
    He's #1 on my Jets big board. I'd move up to get him.
    I want him too,but no more giving up draft picks.We need depth.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this isn't burfict but this youtube deserves to be in this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOncicrmmr4

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm all in favor of a guy who plays angry and with great intensity.

but what are the chances he passes a steroid test?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    my best friend is the starting RT for the Oregon Ducks and he told me first hand that Burfict has put on a lot of bad weight and has lost a couple steps this season. says hes way overrated. he got a seal on him on the QB's read option that went for a big gain in the 3rd quarter last night.

straight from on an on-field source, Burfict is just another guy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    HE IS NOT REPALCING MY BART SCOTT
    HE WILL REPALCE AC

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    People can talk about Burfict's tenacity and attitude all they want.

The bottom line is, the guy is so over-aggressive to the point where he takes himself out of plays and gets called for 2-3 personal foul penalties in seemingly every game. That's been his biggest problem since day one. And he's yet to correct it...at all.

If we're trying to add to our LB corps in round 1 then give me Upshaw, Ingram, or Curry.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If we're trying to add to our LB corps in round 1 then give me Upshaw, Ingram, or Curry.
    cmon... like Rex couldn't use Burfict?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrebetfan80 View Post
    this defense could use a little bit of a head case, someone thats going to play with raw emotion and make big time plays. jenkins when healthy was like that.
    I agree. We need a Bryan Cox clone! Bart Scott talks a better game then he plays in the toughness department.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take anyone of those guys over Burfict and even Luke Kuechly cerebral assassin over Taze

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Burfict is in top shape when the combine comes around I'm all for picking him. All his other flaws can be corrected by pro coaching and we got strong defensive leadership to guide him aswell...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this article in another thread, but I'll do so again since it seems even more relevant here:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...age-a-red-flag

Vontaze Burfict's intensity intriguing, but rage a red flag
    PUBLISHED 6 days and 21 hours ago
    LAST UPDATED 5 days and 21 hours ago
    . Russ Lande
    Sporting News

Sporting News draft expert Russ Lande analyzes the current draft status of a prominent college player:

Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State

Linebacker Vontaze Burfict is leaving Arizona State to enter the NFL Draft. He will bring baggage that might worry some teams but can be a monster. (AP Photo)
    Junior, 6-3, 252 pounds, 4.65 40-yard dash

Burfict announced Tuesday he would leave college for the 2012 NFL Draft. He wrote on his Facebook page: "I will be expanding my talents to the next level."

Before the 2011 season, Sporting News' Matt Hayes profiled Burfict, calling him "toughest, meanest, nastiest player in the college game—the guy opponents fear and officials target, the guy once benched by his own coach because his violent makeup led to too many personal fouls." Read Hayes' article here.

Analysis
    Skill set: Burfict has good size and outstanding strength. He makes more than his share of hard hits by bending his knees, snapping his hips and exploding up into opponents. This helps Burfict consistently jolt blockers backward.

He seems to enjoy the violence and always goes for the blow-up hit, which leads to sliding off ball carriers and too often missing tackles for a player with his talent.

Burfict is an instinctive linebacker who reads and reacts to plays fast. He moves easily through traffic and has good speed in pursuit. Burfict’s explosiveness, strength and long arms give him the tools to consistently pressure the quarterback when he blitzes.

Must improve: Burfict must do a better job of taking on blockers with better leverage and use of his hands. He must focus on wrapping up and making tackles and cut down on sloppy misses. Burfict also must keep his emotions under control because he'll get tested by opponents trying to frustrate him and get him to snap.

He's also a liability covering tight ends in man-to-man and struggles to get deep — a requirement for middle linebackers in most 4-3 schemes.

Best fit, scheme: Ideally as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme where he'll deal with fewer blockers than in a 4-3 defense. Burfict's ability to pressure the quarterback better fits a 3-4 since linebackers must be productive blitzing for the scheme to work. His pass-rush skills could also be effective outside in that scheme.

Best fit, team/coaches: Burfict would be an excellent fit for the Kansas City Chiefs as a violent interior force in their 3-4. Not only would he fit in the Chiefs' scheme scheme, but Romeo Crennel could help Burfict overcome issues controlling his emotions — if Crennel remains as head coach.

Projected draft position: Burfict has been rumored to be a late first-round pick. While that is possible, we believe hes most likely will be a second- or third-round pick by a team that has a history of handling players who come into the NFL with baggage.

Current pro he compares to: Brandon Spikes, New England Patriots; Nate Irving; Denver Broncos.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've said repeatedly that I'd love to have the Jets pick Burfict, but I'm starting to question it given the recently reported lack of leadership and tension within the Jets locker room. I'm also starting to question whether he would be good value at 16 -- despite being an arguable top 10 talent, his stock seems to slipping and could possibly be picked later in the first round. I still have a hard time seeing Pitt or Baltimore passing on him given their ILB needs, but holy crap would he be a steal in the second round.