Thread: GOP Freshmen On Medicare Attacks: Let's Let Bygones Be Bygones

Banned

GOP Freshmen On Medicare Attacks: Let's Let Bygones Be Bygones

[B]GOP Freshmen On Medicare Attacks: Let's Let Bygones Be Bygones[/B]
    Brian Beutler | May 11, 2011, 11:11AM

House Republican freshmen admit that their so-called "MediScare" attacks on Democrats helped them win a big majority in 2010. Democrats had voted for the health care law, which included $500 billion in "cuts" to Medicare -- primarily slashing overpayments to private insurers -- and Republican challengers never let them forget it.

Now, they say, it's time to let bygones be bygones.

Nearly a dozen House Republican freshmen held a press conference outside the Capitol Tuesday morning to "wipe the slate clean," and "hit the reset button."

"Yeah, I mean there's been -- again, this is a both-sides issue," said Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) when asked if GOP candidates and the NRCC had engaged in 'MediScare' tactics last year. "To say that one side is blameless in trying to use issues to win votes is just dishonest."

On Tuesday, Kinzinger and 41 of his colleagues sent a letter to President Obama, asking him to rein in Democratic attacks on GOP members who voted for the House budget, which includes a plan to privatize Medicare and cap spending on the program.

"We ask that you stand above partisanship, condemn the disingenuous attacks and work with this Congress to reform spending on entitlement programs," the letter reads.

To preempt the press conference, the DCCC responded to the letter with a long list of NRCC and candidate attack ads and statements from the 2010 election -- all of them targeting Democrats for cutting Medicare, all on behalf of GOP candidates who are now hoping for a truce on Medicare attacks.

"Let's get past the past. Let's move forward to the future, and say, 'ok, today is today, and we have a real problem,'" Kinzinger said.

It's a pretty clear indication they're feeling the heat from Dem attacks -- and realize that, after 2010, they're in a pretty weak position to ask for a truce. [URL="http://talkingpointsmemo.com/documents/2011/05/house-gop-freshmen-complain-to-obama-about-dem-medicscare-tactics.php?page=1"]Read the letter here[/URL].

President Obama and the democrats have changed the politics in DC. The republicans over stated their terms and now they are in a corner.

They have once again proven themselves to be extremists and it will cost them big time in the next election. The POTUS has plenty of political capital. He is very intelligent and has quickly turned the tables on these jokers.

The r's were not interested in fixing the country, they were only interested in helping the rich. The American people see this and understand this. This is still a nation for the people, of the people and by the people.

This will stick with the r's for a long while. As I have said before, they have no idea that are new. If they do, they are not able to bring them forth.

remember the healthcare town halls?

"Keep your gov't hands off my Medicare!"

Tell that to Obama he raped Medicare to fund Obamacare. The two faced two bit LIAR!

[QUOTE=drunk kid catholic;4026580][B]GOP Freshmen On Medicare Attacks: Let's Let Bygones Be Bygones[/B]
    Brian Beutler | May 11, 2011, 11:11AM

House Republican freshmen admit that their so-called "MediScare" attacks on Democrats helped them win a big majority in 2010. Democrats had voted for the health care law, which included $500 billion in "cuts" to Medicare -- primarily slashing overpayments to private insurers -- and Republican challengers never let them forget it.

Now, they say, it's time to let bygones be bygones.

Nearly a dozen House Republican freshmen held a press conference outside the Capitol Tuesday morning to "wipe the slate clean," and "hit the reset button."

"Yeah, I mean there's been -- again, this is a both-sides issue," said Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) when asked if GOP candidates and the NRCC had engaged in 'MediScare' tactics last year. "To say that one side is blameless in trying to use issues to win votes is just dishonest."

On Tuesday, Kinzinger and 41 of his colleagues sent a letter to President Obama, asking him to rein in Democratic attacks on GOP members who voted for the House budget, which includes a plan to privatize Medicare and cap spending on the program.

"We ask that you stand above partisanship, condemn the disingenuous attacks and work with this Congress to reform spending on entitlement programs," the letter reads.

To preempt the press conference, the DCCC responded to the letter with a long list of NRCC and candidate attack ads and statements from the 2010 election -- all of them targeting Democrats for cutting Medicare, all on behalf of GOP candidates who are now hoping for a truce on Medicare attacks.

"Let's get past the past. Let's move forward to the future, and say, 'ok, today is today, and we have a real problem,'" Kinzinger said.

It's a pretty clear indication they're feeling the heat from Dem attacks -- and realize that, after 2010, they're in a pretty weak position to ask for a truce. [URL="http://talkingpointsmemo.com/documents/2011/05/house-gop-freshmen-complain-to-obama-about-dem-medicscare-tactics.php?page=1"]Read the letter here[/URL].[/QUOTE]

I think everyone here should read the letter linked in this post. The freshmen senators are looking to get past partisan attacks and actually fix the mess we are in. They are looking for results rather than partisanship. They understand what most Democrats dont. They understand that the path we are on is unsustainable and drastic measures are needed to course correct before the hole we dig is so deep that there is no reasonable way out. All this crap about republicans running scared or looking for a "truce" because they are in a position of weakness is the usual bullsh!te politics as usual nonsense. This is not about winning or losing. It is about fixing this country. Some people will never get it.

How about ending the wars and cutting foreign aid first?

Jets Insider VIP
    I guess someone needs to 'splain to the freshman that they should probably write these letters to their fellow congressman. You know...fellow "legislators" (leg·is·late Verb 1. Make or enact laws). And then write a letter to Obama when the time comes to execute said law (ex·e·cute Verb Carry out or put into effect).

Word.

[QUOTE=drunk kid catholic;4026580]On Tuesday, Kinzinger and 41 of his colleagues sent a letter to President Obama, asking him to rein in Democratic attacks on GOP members who voted for the House budget, which includes a plan to privatize Medicare and cap spending on the program.[/QUOTE]

So....we shouldn't challenge people based on their records? :confused:

GFY.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4026794]I think everyone here should read the letter linked in this post. The freshmen senators are looking to get past partisan attacks and actually fix the mess we are in. They are looking for results rather than partisanship. .[/QUOTE]

these elected officials went back to their constituents and realized that the Ryan budget was a liability. let's not paint them as 100% altruistic. the people spoke. and they said, in a clear and loud voice: That plan sucks.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4026794]I think everyone here should read the letter linked in this post. The freshmen senators are looking to get past partisan attacks and actually fix the mess we are in. They are looking for results rather than partisanship. They understand what most Democrats dont. They understand that the path we are on is unsustainable and drastic measures are needed to course correct before the hole we dig is so deep that there is no reasonable way out. All this crap about republicans running scared or looking for a "truce" because they are in a position of weakness is the usual bullsh!te politics as usual nonsense. This is not about winning or losing. It is about fixing this country. Some people will never get it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but as much as I like the idea of putting partisan politics out to pasture, it turns my stomach to see the blatant hypocrisy of someone who says "OK, I attacked you on Medicare, but now, don't attack me on Medicare"

Rep. Ryan and his buddies are idiots. And I am a conservative.
    Don't fool with Medicare. (The changes wouldn't affect me BTW).
    1. Control the providers. Massive fraud out there. Recently got a big bill for my mother who died in 2007. THe date of [B]service[/B] was for 2010 from NJ. She moved tp SC in 2006. I called Medicare. They said "OK, we won't pay". I asked about prosecution. "No.We just won't pay".
    2. Raise the age to be the same as SS.
    3. Increase the monthly charge by $10.
    4. Increase the payroll deduction.

But #1 is the key.

We have been told for years that Medicare and SS are pensions that we pay into and have a right to expect back. It's not an entitlement it's funded by us. The Government even sends us statements every year confirming what we put in and what we will get.

What they didn't tell us is it was a Ponzi scheme only works if you die before the benefits start or you have enough children to maintain a huge number of workers for every retiree. They even changed the way inflation was measured to squeeze the benefits of current and future retirees.

The government simply blew our pensions by badly managing the government over decades. Of course the public is against having their savings pillared. If both sides were honest and told them that the government managed their pensions like Bernie Madoff everyone would get it. There was a bipartisan effort to destroy SS and Medicare, it’s called using political power over decades to redirect funds and printing money to cover the trail.

Banned
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4026908]I'm sorry, but as much as I like the idea of putting partisan politics out to pasture, it turns my stomach to see the blatant hypocrisy of someone who says "OK, I attacked you on Medicare, but now, don't attack me on Medicare"[/QUOTE]

not only that they lied about what the health care act would do to medicare and now they expect democrats to not tell the truth about what they wanted to do to medicare
    "let them stew in the truth" no need for democrats to do anything other than constantly repeat the truth
    republicans voted to privatize medicare say it again and again and again
    Last edited by drunk kid catholic; 05-12-2011 at 12:43 PM.

[QUOTE=drunk kid catholic;4026922]not only that they lied about what the health care act would do to medicare, and now they expect democrats to not tell the truth about what they wanted to do to medicare "let them stew in the truth" no need for democrats to do anything other than constantly repeat the truth - republicans voted to privatize medicare say it again and again and again.[/QUOTE]

Why is a private pension and health care plan any worse then a public one that is squeezing benifits through inflating the money supply and at the same time cutting back benifits?

[QUOTE=bitonti;4026899]these elected officials went back to their constituents and realized that the Ryan budget was a liability. let's not paint them as 100% altruistic. the people spoke. and they said, in a clear and loud voice: That plan sucks.[/QUOTE]

I read the letter. Nowhere in it do the Republicans back off the Ryan plan. They encourage implementation of the Ryan plan. As such your point here seems off.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4026949]I read the letter. Nowhere in it do the Republicans back off the Ryan plan. They encourage implementation of the Ryan plan. As such your point here seems off.[/QUOTE]

i look forward to those congressmen and women getting voted out by angry seniors

Jets Insider VIP
    What's funny is that the goofy letter they "wrote" is just more partisan politics.

"Dear Mr. President, Please tell those people who said mean things about us to stop it."

lolz...

[QUOTE=bitonti;4026962]i look forward to those congressmen and women getting voted out by angry seniors[/QUOTE]

Why would seniors take issue with the bill. It only effects those that are 54 and under. Also I would have thought that liberals would have applauded a bill that looks for a means test essentially taking some of the Medicare funds that now goes to the wealthiest among us and shifting the dollars to those that don't have the ability to pay.