Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most likely scenario for Nov '12

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4028885]Obviously, the GOP agrees since they were trying to persuade Chris Christie to run out of desperation.[/QUOTE]
    What?

I barely have to scrape the surface of the "Politics and world events" to be reminded why I rarely look at it anymore.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4028861]Bush and Carter were much worse than Obama. You could make an argument that Bush was the worst ever (9/11 on his watch, Katrina response botched, Iraq, intentionally outed a CIA agent, which is treason, Iran was able to become more powerful because Bush invaded Iraq, etc.). Obama isn't great, but he inherited a complete disaster so I can't completely kill him. I think Obama is going to wait until reelection before he addresses the toughest issues (of course, he could be too late by then and things may be much worse).[/QUOTE]

I nominate the above post as quite possibly the worst piece of junk I've ever had the displeasure to read...it's so full of epic fail that it doesn't get a response

[QUOTE=Tucker134;4028955]I nominate the above post as quite possibly the worst piece of junk I've ever had the displeasure to read...it's so full of epic fail that it doesn't get a response[/QUOTE]

Predictable response unfortunately.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 05-15-2011 at 04:44 PM.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4028899]Christie wouldn't win his own state.

[url]http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1299.xml?ReleaseID=1590[/url]
    [url]http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/new_jersey_voters_poll_shows_o.html[/url]

If Christie gets a formidable candidate to run against him (I.E. Cory Booker) he will have his hands full. He is no slam dunk to get re-elected in NJ.[/QUOTE]

Of course. Tell the GOP that. They are the ones who sent people to meet with Christie to convince him to run.

You know things are bad when you can't beat Cory Booker. I'm still waiting for Cory to fix Newark.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4028985]Predictable response unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Obama's fighting two wars in four countries, hes using signing statements to circumvent congress, Patriot Act in full force, detention center open, Obamacare nightmare, botched oilspill cleanup... hes either right in front of or right behind Bush if you were really serious and not just trolling. Keep in mind, hes only had two and a half years to farg stuff up so far...

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4029016]Obama's fighting two wars in four countries, hes using signing statements to circumvent congress, Patriot Act in full force, detention center open, Obamacare nightmare, botched oilspill cleanup... hes either right in front of or right behind Bush if you were really serious and not just trolling. Keep in mind, hes only had two and a half years to farg stuff up so far...[/QUOTE]

First, I never said I was an Obama fan either. Second, "two wars in four countries", patriot act and gitmo were things inherited from Bush (except for Libya--that's on Obama's watch). And Bush put us in more than two wars in four countries (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Yemen, Djibouti, Philippines, etc.).

I don't think Gitmo will ever be closed until the last prisoner dies there. Once it was opened by Bush, it opened a can of worms. I'm not sure any president, republican or democrat, will be able to close it now because (1) nobody wants to put the prisoners in the USA, (2) the countries of origin will not take them back and (3) we believe based on the Bush administration's statements that some of the people we did free went back to fighting against us.

Obamacare is an unknown at this point. It gave people more coverage (e.g., preexisting condition), but the actual long-term effect is unknown, good or bad. I'm sure the Republicans will try to repeal it either way because of the HMO donations. Who knows what we will be left with.

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4028707]Please explain the logic for D's winning back the House in '12...[/QUOTE]

First of all the republicans to this date have no jobs plan. The only thing you hear from them is cut, cut, cut....

Second the republicans will be boxed into a position of they want tax cuts for the rich (1MM or more) as the democrats will make a strong move for that (boxing them in).

Third, they have defend the Paul Ryan major Medicare fail. Tough to do.

The democrats in the House have already announced a jobs bill

President Obama will have strong coat tails in this election. He just killed OBL. Huge!!!!!

The Unions are very organized for this election and very spirited.

Young people will again be inspired to vote democrat (OBL Hangover) Democrats are strong on defense of the nation

Finally, the Latin vote will go to the Democrats and the republicans have severely hurt the bridges to the Latin community in a lot of the nation

Weak leadership in the republican party right now. Like it or not President Obama has turned the table on things for the democrats to be the favorites at this time.

With 1.6 left till the election there is time to change this, but right now this is what is going on in DC

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4029109]First of all the republicans to this date have no jobs plan. The only thing you hear from them is cut, cut, cut....

Second the republicans will be boxed into a position of they want tax cuts for the rich (1MM or more) as the democrats will make a strong move for that (boxing them in).

Third, they have defend the Paul Ryan major Medicare fail. Tough to do.

The democrats in the House have already announced a jobs bill

President Obama will have strong coat tails in this election. He just killed OBL. Huge!!!!!

The Unions are very organized for this election and very spirited.

Young people will again be inspired to vote democrat (OBL Hangover) Democrats are strong on defense of the nation

[B]Finally, the Latin vote will go to the Democrats and the republicans have severely hurt the bridges to the Latin community in a lot of the nation[/B]

Weak leadership in the republican party right now. Like it or not President Obama has turned the table on things for the democrats to be the favorites at this time.

With 1.6 left till the election there is time to change this, but right now this is what is going on in DC[/QUOTE]

and if Marco Rubio or Susana Martinez are on the Republican ticket that changes everything. I work with a lot of Hispanics, they aren't happy with the President, while he has supported issues they care about, he hasn't done anything for them. In fact they like to site the fact he's deported more people than Bush ever did. His recent push for immigration reform just reeks of politics. And it's hard to deny that.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-15-2011 at 08:58 PM.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4029109]First of all the republicans to this date have no jobs plan. [B]The only thing you hear from them is cut, cut, cut....[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

lol.... with a 14 trillion debt and Obamas own plans of making it 26 trillion after 12 years people want to here CUT CUT CUT

26 trillion is the best case scenario
    Last edited by cedk; 05-15-2011 at 09:12 PM.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4028714]Name your 5 worst presidents. George W. Bush was pretty damn bad, still hard to put him in worst top 5 of all time.

Here's 10.

Warren Harding
    James Buchanan
    Andrew Johnson
    Millard Fillmore
    John Tyler
    Ulysses S. Grant
    Herbert Hoover
    George W. Bush
    Zachary Taylor
    Richard Nixon

If you notice a majority of these guys were president right before Lincoln. Unlike Lincoln they were gutless when it came to slavery.[/QUOTE]

Like most lists of this nature, a very subjective list. James Buchanan is probably the worst President on that list. Other Presidents were bad, and some on that list weren't too bad.

The only reason Andrew Johnson got impeached was because he was a southern democrat who was not trusted to oversee the immediate post-civil war period.

Richard Nixon makes your list because of the Watergate scandal, but probably accomplished more in his administration then most presidents. SALT agreement with the Soviet Union, elimination of the military draft, reduction of Troops in Vietnam and the opening of the door to Red China, which BTW lead in 1979 to President Carter changing US diplomatic recognition of them as 'China' rather then Taiwan. Former President Nixon was invited back to the White House for that occasion.

I'm not arguing with your list just simply pointing out it's subjective nature.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 05-15-2011 at 10:53 PM.

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4029171]Like most lists of this nature, a very subjective list. James Buchanan is probably the worst President on that list. Other Presidents were bad, and some on that list weren't too bad.

The only reason Andrew Johnson got impeached was because he was a southern democrat who was not trusted to oversee the immediate post-civil war period.

Richard Nixon makes your list because of the Watergate scandal, but probably accomplished more in his administration then most presidents. SALT agreement with the Soviet Union, elimination of the military draft, reduction of Troops in Vietnam and the opening of the door to Red China, which BTW lead in 1979 to President Carter changing US diplomatic recognition of them as 'China' rather then Taiwan. Former President Nixon was invited back to the White House for that occasion.

I'm not arguing with your list just simply pointing out it's subjective nature.[/QUOTE]

Most things are open for debate, I don't disagree with anything you said. Watergate is the main reason for Nixon being on my list. His paranoia destroyed his presidency. Also based on the White House tapes he was also a bigot.

and Johnson probably wasn't trusted to oversee the post-civil war period because he said things like this.

"This is a country for white men, and by God, as long as I am President, it shall be a government for white men." - President Andrew Johnson

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4029121]and if Marco Rubio or Susana Martinez are on the Republican ticket that changes everything. I work with a lot of Hispanics, they aren't happy with the President, while he has supported issues they care about, he hasn't done anything for them. In fact they like to site the fact he's deported more people than Bush ever did. His recent push for immigration reform just reeks of politics. And it's hard to deny that.[/QUOTE]

So you work with ALL the Hispanics? The republicans are not a good alternative.
    Rubio would be lucky to get one vote outside of Florida (LOL).

President Obama appointed the first Latina to the SC, Keep dreaming, The republicans are weak and the democrats know it. Furthermore, with the killing of OBL, the democrats are much stronger

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4029290]So you work with ALL the Hispanics? The republicans are not a good alternative.

President Obama appointed the first Latina to the SC, Keep dreaming, The republicans are weak and the democrats know it. Furthermore, with the killing of OBL, the democrats are much stronger[/QUOTE]

I said a lot, not all. Obviously the Republicans aren't a good alternative right now (but keep in mind Bush did well with Latinos in 2004), more reason to stay home on election day. Democrats can't expect to keep getiing the Latino vote when they have done very little for them in return. Appointing Sonia Sotomayor is nice and all, but that's isn't enough.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-16-2011 at 01:41 AM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4028714]Name your 5 worst presidents. George W. Bush was pretty damn bad, still hard to put him in worst top 5 of all time.

Here's 10.

Warren Harding
    James Buchanan
    Jimmy Carter
    Andrew Johnson
    Millard Fillmore
    John Tyler
    John Kennedy
    Herbert Hoover
    Woodrow Wilson
    Zachary Taylor
    LBJ

If you notice a majority of these guys were president right before Lincoln. Unlike Lincoln they were gutless when it came to slavery.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

Its too Early to put the current jackass on the list, but it ain't lookin' good for Barry.
    Last edited by Jet_Engine1; 05-16-2011 at 02:07 AM.

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;4029297]Fixed.

Its too Early to put the current jackass on the list, but it ain't lookin' good for Barry.[/QUOTE]

Kennedy's handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis alone should keep him off any worst president list. That and getting Marilyn Monroe into the sack. :P

All League
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4029290]So you work with ALL the Hispanics? The republicans are not a good alternative.

[B]President Obama appointed the first Latina to the SC[/B], Keep dreaming, The republicans are weak and the democrats know it. Furthermore, with the killing of OBL, the democrats are much stronger[/QUOTE]

Remember when George Bush appointed a black woman to be Secretary of State? But then again, Bush "hates black people...."

As for Rubio, I wonder when the Lib media attack machine starts to try to destroy his life...while we still learn strange and interesting things about our sitting President, who NOBODY properly vetted because to do so would be "racist".

Then again, I'm responding to the guy who actually wrote "Democrats are strong on Defense" and "[B][I]Obama[/I][/B] just killed OBL". :rolleyes:

All League
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4029298]Kennedy's handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis alone should keep him off any worst president list. That and getting Marilyn Monroe into the sack. :P[/QUOTE]

Do some research into how Kennedy dealt with the Cuban Missile Crisis, and it becomes much less impressive.

The man did nothing well as President aside from getting shot in the head in public and becoming a darling of a certain generation. He is kind of like the Archie Manning of Presidents, every year he somehow gets better...even though in reality he kinda sucked.

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;4029299]while we still learn strange and interesting things about our sitting President, who NOBODY properly vetted because to do so would be "racist".
    [/QUOTE]

If there was anything Obama had to hide Hillary Clinton and John McCain would of found it. And what are these strange and interesting things you say we are still learning?

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;4029300]Do some research into how Kennedy dealt with the Cuban Missile Crisis, and it becomes much less impressive.

The man did nothing well as President aside from getting shot in the head in public and becoming a darling of a certain generation. He is kind of like the Archie Manning of Presidents, every year he somehow gets better...even though in reality he kinda sucked.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Averting-Final-Failure-Meetings-Stanford/dp/0804748462/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/url]

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;4029299]Remember when George Bush appointed a black woman to be Secretary of State? But then again, Bush "hates black people...."

As for Rubio, I wonder when the Lib media attack machine starts to try to destroy his life...while we still learn strange and interesting things about our sitting President, who NOBODY properly vetted because to do so would be "racist".

Then again, I'm responding to the guy who actually wrote [B][COLOR="Red"]"Democrats are strong on Defense" and "[B][I]Obama[/I][/B] just killed OBL"[/COLOR][/B]. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The republicans have not been strong on D since Bush one. the last guy was a total flop (911 was on his watch and he never even pursued OBL)

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PGmnz5Ow-o[/url]
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRY_BOYeySc&feature=related[/url]

Only Palin could be worse.

President Obama has stepped up the wars to where America is now in position to win them. Clearly he will use this to an advantage as will all of the democrats.

Things have changed and it looks as though the republicans still want to run this election from the rear view mirror as they cannot deal with the truth, even on this board.

If the economy gets better, it will be an avalanche on the republicans.

Like I posted a few weeks ago here, every time America declares a war on something, it has the opposite effect (war on drugs - we got more drugs)

We have declared war on spending, yet the debt ceiling gets raised (it will happen).

Like it or not, the republicans are not in a strong position and it could get worse.