Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Court: No right to resist illegal cop entry into home

Jets Insider VIP
    What a load of crap.

I'm moving to Indiana to start a business selling anti-breech door hardware.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4029397]I wasn't taking an anti-cop stance -- I am more curious about the way the story was presented. The way it's written, the cops would be breaking the law -- and despite that, the homeowners have no right to resist. The article seems incomplete when presents the cops actions as "illegal" but doesn't talk about what the penalties would be to cops for taking these "illegal" actions.[/QUOTE]

I think that would be tough to decipher and would have to be on a case by case basis...

I don't have an issue giving cops latitude even if by definition, the entry is illegal.

Don't get me wrong, this will lead to some issues but if it helps save some lives, prevent some crimes and most importantly, protect a police officer attempting to do his job, then I'm all for it.

I understand your point better now though. Thanks for clarifying.

Jets Insider VIP
    So the cops are called because a husband and wife are arguing. Seems like they had a reason to go in to make sure the wife is getting beaten up or killed.

I'd be more upset if they forced me to buy health insurance I didn't want.

yup :yes: :D

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4029451]What a load of crap.

I'm moving to Indiana to start a business selling anti-breech door hardware.[/QUOTE]

I think your old job of installing Govt. Approved Toilets and Shower Heads suits you better. Without you, someone might use an extra few ounced of water, and we cannot have that happen!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4029479]I think your old job of installing Govt. Approved Toilets and Shower Heads suits you better. Without you, someone might use an extra few ounced of water, and we cannot have that happen![/QUOTE]

You're right, Fish. We should scrap ALL building codes. Who the f*ck needs the mean old gubbermint to tell you that load bearing walls should be supported by 12" micro-lam beams.

Why have sanitation departments to begin with. People should be allowed to freely dump their excrement on the side of the road in front of their house. Why should the gubbermint tell people what they can or cannot do with their own feces? So a few people get cholera or typhus. Big f-ing deal. It's not like waterborne illness kills people. People should be allowed to piss and sh*t anywhere they want.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4029517]You're right, Fish. [B][U]We should scrap ALL building codes[/U][/B].[/quote]

So you're telling me toilet and showerhead water-use regs are the very LYNCHPIN of all our structural building codes, and without them, ALL codes must be scrapped?

Well....you're the expert I guess.

I'm curious though, how does how much water a toilet or showerhead uses affect other Building Codes? Forgive me, I'm a building code noob, admittedly.

Oh, and lol Hyperbole.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4029526]I'm curious though, how does how much water a toilet or showerhead uses affect other Building Codes? Forgive me, I'm a building code noob, admittedly. [/QUOTE]

Fight the power, Komrade!! Run your hose overnight!! Turn on the hydrant on front of your house!! Rip off your showerhead and let the water come straight own of the pipe. That's how free Americans shower!

But don't let replacing that $2 flapper stop you from raging against the machine

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FdF1dDlW-A[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Not sure how this topic turned to discussing doots, but as long as we're there, I will point out an irony, plumber. You're arguing for the efficient and sanitary removal of effluence -- I wonder why most low-flow terlets leave my lincoln logs staring back at me mockingly after 3 or 4 flush attempts, when my 50-year old American Standard swallows those bad boys whole?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4029575]Not sure how this topic turned to discussing doots, but as long as we're there, I will point out an irony, plumber. You're arguing for the efficient and sanitary removal of effluence -- I wonder why most low-flow terlets leave my lincoln logs staring back at me mockingly after 3 or 4 flush attempts, when my 50-year old American Standard swallows those bad boys whole?[/QUOTE]

Shoddy plumbing behind he walls...namely unvented waste lines (very popular "back in the day").

That being said...I've told peeps here that you can turn a low flush into a normal flush my merely changing the flapper (at an astronomical $2 a piece :eek:) if you decide that unvented wastelines are rocking. A "low flush" toilet simply closes the flapper sooner.

American Standard makes an ultra low flush toilet that will suck down an cell phone:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkOaQNiKgoo[/url]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4029553]Fight the power, Komrade!! Wargarbl!!![/QUOTE]

Gonan skip that, since it wasn't an answer.

[QUOTE]We should scrap ALL building codes.[/QUOTE]

Still waiting to hear how the amount of water a Showerhead uses relates to the end of all Buiding Codes.

I am literally rapt behind my keyboard for this knowledge. Please don't let me down PK.;)

[QUOTE=Warfish;4029600]
    Still waiting to hear how the amount of water a Showerhead uses relates to the end of all Buiding Codes.

I am literally rapt behind my keyboard for this knowledge. Please don't let me down PK.;)[/QUOTE]

in all seriousness if you install a shower wrong isn't there a chance of electrocution? didn't this happen in Iraq?

as for the original post, darn those Indiana liberals.

[QUOTE=quantum;4029466]So the cops are called because a husband and wife are arguing. Seems like they had a reason to go in to make sure the wife is getting beaten up or killed.

I'd be more upset if they forced me to buy health insurance I didn't want.

yup :yes: :D[/QUOTE]

My guess is most arguments end in the husband getting on a ladder and fixing something rather then the wife getting beaten up or killed.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4029608]My guess is most arguments end in the husband getting on a ladder and fixing something rather then the wife getting beaten up or killed.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on 10K. Most of them solid posts :P

While most arguments can be resolved amicably(sp?) I'd venture to guess that if it were heated enough to get the cops called, there's probably an off chance something bad happens. Even if that's her hitting him.

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4029665]Congrats on 10K. Most of them solid posts :P

While most arguments can be resolved amicably(sp?) I'd venture to guess that if it were heated enough to get the cops called, there's probably an off chance something bad happens. Even if that's her hitting him.[/QUOTE]

It would have been much better if the court had recognized probably cause as oppossed to just giving cops the right of illegal entry.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4029600]Gonan skip that, since it wasn't an answer.

I am literally rapt behind my keyboard for this knowledge. Please don't let me down PK.;)[/QUOTE]

<sigh>

Because we all use the same aquifers, Fish. I know you're not that ig'nant. It's the same reason why they institute lawn watering bans during droughts.

How does it relate to building codes? Because it is a building code. I just figured the blossoming Ayn Rand uber-libertarian in you was channeling her diatribe about how building codes are evil.

All I did was post that I was gonna start a business selling anti breech hardware for Indianans. You're the one that turned this into a "PLUMBERKHAN IS AN EVIL COMMUNIST BECAUSE HE OPENED A SHOWER VALVE BOX BACK IN THE DAY AND INSTALLED THE SHOWERHEAD THAT CAME WITH IT THAT HEPPENED TO BE 1.2 GALLONS A MINUTE, DIRECT FROM THE MANUFACTURER, WHICH MAKES HIM A FASCIST PIG THAT HATES FREEDOM, AMERICA AND WATCHING DRIVE-IN MOVIES FROM THE BACK OF A PICK-UP TRUCK!!!!"

:D;):P

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4029778]<sigh>

Because we all use the same aquifers, Fish. I know you're not that ig'nant.[/quote]

No, we don't. You use an aquifier in wherever you are. I use one down here. We all use different aquifiers (reservoirs), actually.

[QUOTE]It's the same reason why they institute lawn watering bans during droughts.[/QUOTE]

Except that a low-yield showerhead can be run all day long, constantly, and waste as much water as I wish to pay for. It's not a ban of any kind, it's an item that does not do what it's supposed to be for, i.e. water conservation. The individual can still watse as much water as they like, take a longer shower, or just runt he damn thing, and poof, stupid ass showerhead defeated.

It's a dumb code for a dumb cause. It's a perfect example of how Govt. tries to have good intentions (and I agree water conservation/protection is good), but fails utterly in their efforts about it, and while their at it becomes more powerful and more intrusive over personal liberty.

Lets not be silly, Showerhead is not a "Safety" code like most Building Codes are, and you damn well know it. It's a feel-good-as-a-politican code desigend to serve a special interest, specificly the environmentalist lobby.

And it's a failure.

[QUOTE]I just figured the blossoming Ayn Rand uber-libertarian in you was channeling her diatribe about how building codes are evil.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I'm all about minimum codes designed to ensure safety and proper operation.

I'm just not about serving special interests with lolfail codes that don't and can't do what they claim to, in this case force less use of water.

You'll forgive me is I again pass on the All Caps Wargarbl.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4029517]You're right, Fish. We should scrap ALL building codes. Who the f*ck needs the mean old gubbermint to tell you that load bearing walls should be supported by 12" micro-lam beams.

Why have sanitation departments to begin with. People should be allowed to freely dump their excrement on the side of the road in front of their house. Why should the gubbermint tell people what they can or cannot do with their own feces? So a few people get cholera or typhus. Big f-ing deal. It's not like waterborne illness kills people. People should be allowed to piss and sh*t anywhere they want.[/QUOTE]

All of these things are handled just fine by state and local authorities. Why do I need the federal government involved?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4029805]It's a dumb code for a dumb cause. It's a perfect example of how Govt. tries to have good intentions (and I agree water conservation/protection is good), but fails utterly in their efforts about it, and while their at it becomes more powerful and more intrusive over personal liberty. [/QUOTE]

OMG!!!

1.7 gallons a minute as opposed to 2.3 gallons a minute is communism!!!!

ARG.

Yes. As I've stood there rinsing my hair, I've been mighty mad about the gubbermint.

Get a grip, Fish. Take the damn washer out. That's all you have to do. Remove a single rubber washer. Is that too mechanical for you libertarians?

[QUOTE=32green;4029049]Exactly; And any illegal search and seizures would also be thrown out at the Mapp hearing if there was no legal basis...this is more about the miscreant knuckleheads who fire guns at cops doing what the miscreants later claim is an "illegal entry" and claiming "self defense".:rolleyes:

This is not about supporting/enabling knucklehead cops barging their way into homes.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Cop comes in illegally, any evidence obtained is tossed, and you get to sue him personally, the department, and the city for any damages

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4029806]All of these things are handled just fine by state and local authorities. Why do I need the federal government involved?[/QUOTE]

Do you guys have a single ounce of mechanical aptitude in you or are you all related to the idiot homeowner I used to get service calls for for tripped GFI's?

Talk about personal responsibility....but none of you possess the know-how to f*cking change a flapper or remove a washer?

"I'm sorry honey. I can't figure out why the bathroom outlet dfoesn't work. I'm gonna have to call an electrician."

Good lord.....:nono:

OMG!!! THERE'S A FEDERAL MANDATE THAT ALL OUTLETS LOCATED IN BATHROOMS AND KITCHENS SHOULD BE GFI PROTECTED"!!!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hce-Xvp1gm8[/url]

I should be allowed to electrocute myself if I want to.
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 05-16-2011 at 03:20 PM.