Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Court: No right to resist illegal cop entry into home

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4030039]Why, when we have effective state and local building codes, would we need federal ones?[/QUOTE]

Here ya go:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Policy_Act_of_1992[/url]
    Energy Policy of 1992:
    Passed the House on May 27, 1992 (381 - 37)
    Passed the Senate on July 30, 1992 (93-3)
    Signed into law [B]by President George H.W. Bush[/B] on October 24, 1992

ARRGGG!!! FREEDOM IS GONE!!!! ARRRGGG!! WARFISH IS THE ONLY PERSON THAT TAPS INTO THE NVA AQUIFER AND HENCE SHOULD NOT BE LIMITED TO HOW MUCH WATER HE USES!!! ARRGG!! FREEDOM!!!

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4030055]WARFISH IS THE ONLY PERSON THAT TAPS INTO THE NVA AQUIFER AND HENCE SHOULD NOT BE LIMITED TO HOW MUCH WATER HE USES!!! ARRGG!! FREEDOM!!![/QUOTE]

You seem to be missing the point my old friend.

I'm not limited "to how much water I can use". As I've said, I can run my shower 24/7 is I so wish, and wish to pay for it. I'm simply annoyed by a Govt. mandated "water saving" law that does not such thing.

Rage on if you wish, troll on if thats what you enjoy, but end of it all, it'll still be a foolsih and pointless policy that doesn;t do what it's supposed to, and infringes upon my freedom whilst doing so.

For the record, if the Law were "you can only buy X amount of water a month because we're rationing water", that would be fine, assuming cause of course. This showehead and ****ter thing....not the same.

Wargarbl.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4030078]I'm not limited "to how much water I can use". As I've said, I can run my shower 24/7 is I so wish, and wish to pay for it. I'm simply annoyed by a Govt. mandated "water saving" law that does not such thing.
    [/QUOTE]

Actually...it's not that pointless as most normal people won't run their shower 24/7. Only you would do that.

BTW...it's not the water you're paying for with your water bill. Water doesn't magically appear in your 900 sq foot townhouse.

or does it?

Hmmmmmm.....magnets?
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 05-16-2011 at 06:45 PM.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4030089]Hmmmmmm.....magnets?[/QUOTE]

Space Magnets, actually.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4030020]So...answer the question, 2 minute Google Man.

TT or Solenoid?[/QUOTE]

Solenoid? Didn't google, but it is a guess.

I do all my own improvements/fixes: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, drywall, etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=quantum;4030701]Solenoid? Didn't google, but it is a guess.

I do all my own improvements/fixes: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, drywall, etc.[/QUOTE]

Correct!

You win a dinner: [url]http://www.pksbarandgrill.com/[/url] :P

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4031623]Correct!

You win a dinner: [url]http://www.pksbarandgrill.com/[/url] :P[/QUOTE]

Peefect! Tonight's wing night, w00t!!!

[QUOTE=gunnails;4030047]==============================================

I fully understand that legally resisting law enforcement is a horrible idea.

Doing so will get you hurt or killed. See: Ruby Ridge/Waco.

Always obey all commands issued by the Police. Thats my motto.

What I am saying is that unlawful search and seizure is one of the reasons the revolutionary war was fought.

Our forefathers fought and many died so that we could in part live free from fear in our own homes.

In essence, the Fourth Amendment now has an on/off switch. Police can create their own need, demand, or requirement. That means that the cops can use the same knock-knock-open-your-door technique that your parents used when you were a kid.

What bothers me about the ruling is not that I can't shoot a LEO, more so that I am put at there mercy if and when they ever decide they need to enter my home or search me or my possessions.
    [B]
    Suing the offenders after the fact does little to return my lost dignity or perceived safety that I should have in my own home, according to the 4th amendment.[/B]

More to the point I just don't like the gist of this ruling. Slippery slope type of thing.[/QUOTE]

It does enough, especially considering that the alternative - giving each individual, without any specialized training, the legal right to determine for themselves (rightly or wrongly) whether the search is legal and, if they (rightly or wrongly) conclude it's illegal, to resist - is worse.

The way to prevent 4th amendment violations is to effectively train police to understand what they can and can't do and to effectively deter them from crossing that line by hitting them with severe sanctions when they do. It is [I][B]not[/B][/I] by conferring on individuals the right to make complicated legal decisions with potentially deadly ramifications

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4031829]It does enough, especially considering that the alternative - giving each individual, without any specialized training, the legal right to determine for themselves (rightly or wrongly) whether the search is legal and, if they (rightly or wrongly) conclude it's illegal, to resist - is worse.

The way to prevent 4th amendment violations is to effectively train police to understand what they can and can't do and to effectively deter them from crossing that line by hitting them with severe sanctions when they do. It is [I][B]not[/B][/I] by conferring on individuals the right to make complicated legal decisions with potentially deadly ramifications[/QUOTE]

A very logical and reasoned post.

My response is simple, I hope that you get to personally experience an unlawful Police Search in your home, when your kids are present, so you can then tell us that it was all peachey, a-ok, just like you said.

Since in your view there is no real issue or breach of rights under such a circumstance, I'm then not wishing anything bad upon you....only to experience that which you support.

After all, you'll get to sue afterwards, so it'll all be ok in the end, right?

[QUOTE=Warfish;4031846]A very logical and reasoned post.

My response is simple, I hope that you get to personally experience an unlawful Police Search in your home, when your kids are present, so you can then tell us that it was all peachey, a-ok, just like you said.

Since in your view there is no real issue or breach of rights under such a circumstance, I'm then not wishing anything bad upon you....only to experience that which you support.

After all, you'll get to sue afterwards, so it'll all be ok in the end, right?[/QUOTE]

Please stop, it's obvious you do not understand the law. You'd be amazed what actually happens when the police search a home, do you think you would know the difference if the police are in your home legally or illegally until after the fact? 99 out of 100 times a search warrant is being executed and if there is not a search warrant it is exigent circurmstances that give the police the right to enter the residence. I have been involved in hundreds of search warrants and the kids do just fine.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cr726;4031859] I have been involved in hundreds of search warrants and the kids do just fine.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://cdn.babble.com/strollerderby/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/elian-gonzalez-no-regrets-cuba.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=cr726;4031859] I have been involved in hundreds of search warrants and the kids do just fine.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.rickross.com/graphics/waco_burning.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE]A 1993 raid by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the subsequent siege by the FBI ended with the burning of the Branch Davidian ranch outside of Waco, Texas, in McLennan County. Koresh, 54 adults and [B][COLOR="Red"]21 children [/COLOR][/B]were found dead after the fire[/QUOTE].

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Koresh[/url]

Oh boy......................................

All League
    [QUOTE=cr726;4031859]Please stop, it's obvious you do not understand the law. You'd be amazed what actually happens when the police search a home, do you think you would know the difference if the police are in your home legally or illegally until after the fact? [/quote]

They watched a Law & Order episode about it. Surely you realize that this trumps your academy training, ongoing In Service Legal case law updates and your extensive experience. Hopefully they'll be future TV shows about things like public safety exceptions, fresh and continous pursuits and protective sweeps that they can lecture us about.

[quote] 99 out of 100 times a search warrant is being executed and if there is not a search warrant it is exigent circurmstances that give the police the right to enter the residence. I have been involved in hundreds of search warrants and the kids do just fine.[/QUOTE]

+1 on peaceful entries. No one likes to see kids upset but if they're traumatized it's the parent(s) fault. Judges sign off on the warrants not cops. Sure I've had Special Ops conduct no knocks because of weapons located therein. A flash bang and a dynamic entry scared the crap out of the kids but that's what happens when the baby daddy deals crack.