Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Spanish Fluency be Required/Mandated in Public School, Along with English?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4029884]Fail Troll is Fail.

Exposes either your [B]complete lack of understanding over the issues we discuss[/B], or that (like certain others) you just don't care to differentiate, and find trolling more entertaining.

No worries.

/ignore.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing it's this.

How could one man be expected to fit all that knowledge in his brain along with the complicated methods of removing gaskets?

[QUOTE=Warfish;4029786]Universal Translator, eh?

Beam me up Winsty :D, I hope you're right.

Till then...[/QUOTE]

They have an app for that, it's called the UN.

Banned
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4029819][B]I was a pretty successful business person. I never had to speak Spanish - not once. What Spanish country is even marginally successful?[/B]
    I spoke and speak German. It came in handy when I was in my first tour in Germany and later dealing with Geman businessmen and Scandinavian businessmen.
    Let everyone speak English at least in the workplace. Let's not become like the Balkans.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with Spanish-speaking countries. It has to do with what our population is evolving into.

For example, if you have any sort of sales job, chances are a fairly large part of your clientele will be Spanish-speaking. Being able to communicate with them gives you an advantage over those who cannot.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 05-16-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Why don't they learn english. It is our national language.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4029904]Why don't they learn english. It is our national language.[/QUOTE]

Sheesh. Next thing you're going to ask for is for them to pay taxes. You're like crazy, man.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4029892]...along with the complicated methods of removing gaskets?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Much easier to blame the mean old gubbermint for putting gaskets in showerheads as a affront to your constitutional right to [B]FREEDOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!![/B]

And do I wait until now or later to point out that a small government Republican was the guy to federally mandate water restrictions? Or do "y'all" keep drifting in your bizaar la-la land where mean old libtards are the one to infringe on your personal liberty to old toilets?
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 05-16-2011 at 04:22 PM.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4029710]I went to one of the top-rated schools, in one of the top-rated school systems in the US.

And none of those things were taught.

Now things may have changed since my day, but not from what my sources tell me. And my sources are teachers in my old school.

Maybe New York (you in NY right?) gets that right, who knows. VA sure doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Nah I'm from NJ. I have no idea if I went to a top public school or not but some of things you mention were taught at my school.

Bewildered Beast
    Big demand for it with today's young families; out here, that is. Young, Caucasian parents seem very interested in their kids potential ability to speak both languages easily.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4030130]Nah I'm from NJ. I have no idea if I went to a top public school or not but some of things you mention were taught at my school.[/QUOTE]

I am from NJ too and I remember having Home Ec in (1983/84) 7th and 8th grade which covered sewing, cooking, check books, metal shop and wood shop at the least. Now I know they are cutting funding for a lot of these programs though.

I think the problem with our language studies in school is that they come much too late. I started German classes in 7th grade. 6 years later I could understand some spoken and written German but they classes we way too slow.

My kids on the other hand have had Spanish since Kindergarten and yet they learned more from Dora the Explorer. They have now cut the Spanish teacher from the budget and replaced her with Sign Language!!! Total waste of time IMO. At open house this year they told us that a lot of the information on the school web site would also be available in Spanish. I asked why they didn't have it available in sign language since they obviously thought that was a more important skill.

Jets Insider VIP
    Much like right after 9/11, when the free moeny handouts dry up, "undocumented immigrants" will head back to their country of origin, with whatever booty they were able to procure, and move on to the next target country.

In 75 years, on the Chinese version of JI, they'll be asking the question "Should be teach Spanish in schools in addition to Mandarin?"

[QUOTE=sourceworx;4029898]It has nothing to do with Spanish-speaking countries. It has to do with what our population is evolving into.

For example, if you have any sort of sales job, chances are a fairly large part of your clientele will be Spanish-speaking. Being able to communicate with them gives you an advantage over those who cannot.[/QUOTE]

I stand by my previous statement. Global economy. And Spanish speaking countries are not involved. Better to learn Chinese.
    As far as customers? Which ones are those? How many Spanish speaking "important" companies are there in the U.S.? Zippo.
    Let people speak Engish. Learn or get left behind.
    In my business, if you weren't a good English speaker you would never get hired.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4030859]I stand by my previous statement. Global economy. And Spanish speaking countries are not involved. Better to learn Chinese.
    As far as customers? Which ones are those? How many Spanish speaking "important" companies are there in the U.S.? [B] Zippo.[/B]
    Let people speak Engish. Learn or get left behind.
    In my business, if you weren't a good English speaker you would never get hired.[/QUOTE]

Actually that's a pretty big company. They make a ton of $ on those lighters.

Banned
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4030859]Better to learn Chinese.[/QUOTE]

I can't argue with that. I agree with you.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4030859]As far as customers? Which ones are those?How many Spanish speaking "important" companies are there in the U.S.? Zippo.
    Let people speak Engish. Learn or get left behind.[/QUOTE]

I worked in retail through college. The most successful salespeople were the ones who spoke Spanish. That was more of what i meant.

In a corporate setting, I agree with you. As you mentioned earlier, "better to learn Chinese."

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4030859]In my business, if you weren't a good English speaker you would never get hired.[/QUOTE]

In mine you don't. I'm a programmer. Many, if not most of the people I work with are Chinese or Indian. Some are easy to understand, some aren't. And that includes some of the management. It sort of comes with the territory.