Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: adults required to have health insurance

adults required to have health insurance

obamacare has alot of stuff in there but essentially it's [b]requiring adults to have health insurance[/b]

why is this so bad?

we all know that drivers of cars are required to have insurance... every driving adult pays insurance... for their car.

our bodies are a the liability of society as a whole if injured severely but don't have to be insured?

[QUOTE=bitonti;4030194]obamacare has alot of stuff in there but essentially it's [b]requiring adults to have health insurance[/b]

why is this so bad?[/quote]

Why should I have to buy a product from a private company that I do not wish to buy?

And if it's ok for Health Care, where is the Line? Not in your opinion, but codified somewhere in our Laws and Founding Documents, where si the specific line where the State can't just say "you have to".

Is there a Line Bit, as you see it?

[QUOTE]we all know that drivers of cars are required to have insurance... every driving adult pays insurance... for their car.[/QUOTE]

And as you've been told repeatedly, Driving is an option. If one wishes to not drive, they can not drive, and avoid the free.

In addition, Driving is done on Public Roads. My Health is not managed in a public anything.

These are meaningful differences you consistently overlook because you have no answer for them.

[QUOTE]our bodies are a the liability of society[/QUOTE]

My body is not societies anything. It's mine and mine alone, the idea my body is ssociaties sickens me to my core...and sscares the **** out of me, for what such a blithe statement says about the speaker.

But I'll have some fun with you Bit.....following your own logic, the body of a mother and fetus are also societies, so society can then rightfully choose to protect it right? Societies Body, Societies Choice?

Lets see you sputter and mumble your way past THAT contradiction.;)

[QUOTE=Warfish;4030211]
    But I'll have some fun with you Bit.....following your own logic, the body of a mother and fetus are also societies, so society can then rightfully choose to protect it right? Societies Body, Societies Choice?

Lets see you sputter and mumble your way past THAT contradiction.;)[/QUOTE]

Ha! Well fargin' played, sir.

It's a Republican idea. The individual mandate was part of the Republican Health-care plan in 1993. Newt Gingrich supported it, as did Chuck Grassley, Orrin Hatch, Lindsey Graham and a host of other Republicans who are around today who are suddenly against it.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4030216]It's a Republican idea. The individual mandate was part of the Republican Health-care plan in 1993. Newt Gingrich supported it, as did Chuck Grassley, Orrin Hatch, Lindsey Graham and a host of other Republicans who are around today who are suddenly against it.[/QUOTE]

Why wasn't it passed nearly two decades later then?

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4030220]Why wasn't it passed nearly two decades later then?[/QUOTE]

Because Clinton failed to get anything done and Bush didn't address health-care reform. Many presidents tried and failed.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4030216]It's a Republican idea.[/QUOTE]

And I care.....why?

Am I supposed to support it simply because an (R) may have thought it up or passed it first?

And we don't have go back to '93, there was a bipartisan plan in the Senate in 2007 that had an individual mandate.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthy_Americans_Act[/url]

[QUOTE=Warfish;4030230]And I care.....why?

Am I supposed to support it simply because an (R) may have thought it up or passed it first?[/QUOTE]

My post wasn't a response to you.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-16-2011 at 07:04 PM.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4030238]You're not as important as you think you are. My post wasn't a response to you.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'd be more important with two screen names, eh DKC?

I'll ask again, so both your screen names can have time to take in the question: Should someone support it purely because you claim an (R) dreamed it up?

Yes or no?

[QUOTE=Warfish;4030252]Maybe I'd be more important with two screen names, eh DKC?

I'll ask again, so both your screen names can have time to take in the question: Should someone support it purely because you claim an (R) dreamed it up?

Yes or no?[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you talking about? What other screen name. And second if someone is intellectually honest, no, who's idea it is wouldn't matter if you think it's a bad idea. You and I both know politics doesn't always work that way. But again, I wasn't responding to anything you said.

Are you trying to be the biggest dick head on this forum? If you are, congrats.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4030259]
    Are you trying to be the biggest dick head on this forum? If you are, congrats.[/QUOTE]

Hey :(

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4030211]Why should I have to buy a product from a private company that I do not wish to buy?

And if it's ok for Health Care, where is the Line? Not in your opinion, but codified somewhere in our Laws and Founding Documents, where si the specific line where the State can't just say "you have to".

Is there a Line Bit, as you see it?

And as you've been told repeatedly, Driving is an option. If one wishes to not drive, they can not drive, and avoid the free.

In addition, Driving is done on Public Roads. My Health is not managed in a public anything.

These are meaningful differences you consistently overlook because you have no answer for them.

My body is not societies anything. It's mine and mine alone, the idea my body is ssociaties sickens me to my core...and sscares the **** out of me, for what such a blithe statement says about the speaker.

Lets see you sputter and mumble your way past THAT contradiction.;)[/QUOTE]

This.

You only left one thing out on the auto insurance fallacy. Not only is driving a choice, but the federal government [I]doesn't[/I] mandate that drivers buy insurance. The states do.

Again, a huge difference that simple minds can't seem to grasp.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4030349]This.

You only left one thing out on the auto insurance fallacy. Not only is driving a choice, but the federal government [I]doesn't[/I] mandate that drivers buy insurance. The states do.

Again, a huge difference that simple minds can't seem to grasp.[/QUOTE]

Driving is a privilege.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4030371]Driving is a privilege.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is. What's your point?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4030194]obamacare has alot of stuff in there but essentially it's [b]requiring adults to have health insurance[/b]

why is this so bad?

we all know that drivers of cars are required to have insurance... [B]every driving adult pays insurance... for their car. [/B]
    our bodies are a the liability of society as a whole if injured severely but don't have to be insured?[/QUOTE]

[B]Fine...then make it unlawful for an employer to provide it. [/B] Employers don't provide auto insurance.

The lawmakers and most others working in the public sector get it basically free or for so little they would not be able to understand what it's like to pay $1,000 to $1,600 a month for a policy for 4. God forbid you have a child with a disability....

When Congress, the President and the file clerk at the local township ALL have the same health insurance, then I'll get on board.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4030211]

[/QUOTE]

And if you are not insured and you fall into a coma while walking down the street you will be taken to an emergency room and given medical treatment.

Society saw fit to set up the laws and procedures that brought you to and to pay for that treatment and transportation to the hospital.

why is this so bad?

?[/QUOTE]

The government forcing working poor to purchase something from big companies that makes profits for wall street Is mind boggling coming from the left!!! Just think of the possible under the table payoffs that can occur!
    This should be against the law for sure.
    Basically the current law is really forcing those that cannot afford insurance to purchase which will lower the costs for the others that always had insurance…

What concerns me most is my own experience starting as a poor youngster it would mean I would have full insurance when out of work….when I would start working I would have to pay for insurance but only get partial coverage….assuming I go for the 5000. Deductable…. Why go to work??
    A possible solution would be to make all business provide health insurance… but this would mean you would have to be rich to open a new business…..to fix that problem the government should cover health insurance the first three years of a new company

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4030230]And I care.....why?

Am I supposed to support it simply because an (R) may have thought it up or passed it first?[/QUOTE]

It might be relevant because if you don't like Obamacare you might want to see him loose next year but the guy/gal he is running against might have to explain why they changed their mind. It can be done but it might not be easy.

[QUOTE=Buster;4030428]And if you are not insured and you fall into a coma while walking down the street you will be taken to an emergency room and given medical treatment.

Society saw fit to set up the laws and procedures that brought you to and to pay for that treatment and transportation to the hospital.[/QUOTE]

Are you being serious?

I would be issued an invoice for the services, Ambulance and Hospital.

In my case, the insurance I choose to buy would cover it.

In othe rcases, they'd be issued a bill for it if they choose no coverage.

The fail of the system is not the care or the insuance I purchase.

It's the folks who walk on the bill and get away with it.