Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: America Held Hostage?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4031817]I'll be sure to let you know when we hit 50 Trillion.

I'm sure we'll enjoy watching, and discussing these things, as time rolls on.

Mr. Patriot.:D[/QUOTE]

it can be 500 T. or what comes after that... a ba-zillion? it can be 15 bazillion dollars. it doesn't really matter.

currency is based on faith. so is gold for that matter. It's the idea of value.

I maintain that the American idea of value is still very strong. there are billions of dollars that never even touch US Soil they call em "euro dollars" and people hoard them world-wide.

and that's regardless of who is in power. Im not just saying this cause a Democrat is in the white house. W Bush or whoever is in charge we are still America. Deficits seem troubling on paper but if the idea of America is still strong it's just a bump in the road. the GOP likes to say "we are broke" that statement is not even remotely true.

here's what will happen, longish term: obama will be re-elected, taxes will be raised, some spending cuts will occur, and the numbers will even out. no problem.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4031820]it can be 500 T. or what comes after that... a ba-zillion? it can be 15 bazillion dollars. it doesn't really matter.

I maintain that the American idea of value is still very strong. there are billions of dollars that never even touch US Soil they call em "euro dollars" and people hoard them world-wide.

and that's regardless of who is in power. Im not just saying this cause a Democrat is in the white house. W Bush or whoever is in charge we are still America. Deficits seem troubling on paper but if the idea of America is still strong it's just a bump in the road. the GOP likes to say "we are broke" that statement is not even remotely true.

here's what will happen, longish term: obama will be re-elected, taxes will be raised, some spending cuts will occur, and the numbers will even out. no problem.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

:eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4031820]it can be 500 T. or what comes after that... a ba-zillion? it can be 15 bazillion dollars. it doesn't really matter.

here's what will happen, longish term: obama will be re-elected, taxes will be raised, some spending cuts will occur, and the numbers will even out. no problem.[/QUOTE]

You're under no requirement to explain further Bit, I think you've been very clear in your viewpoint.

The amount of Fedeal debt is (as you see it) a meaningless number, not to be something to be concerned or worried about.

All that matters (as you see it) is the amorphous idea of faith and value inherant in America.

That last part, a belief, I will remind you, you did not express under the previous (R) Administrtions, in the same way that belief was not expressed by the current President under that same (R) Administration.

But as you say, people can change, and teh fact those changes coincide with the political affiliation of those in power can, possibly, just be a coincidence.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obama is a fiscal fool. He knows nothing about running an economy. SPEND SPEND and Spend some more!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4031847]Obama is a fiscal fool. He knows nothing about running an economy. SPEND SPEND and Spend some more![/QUOTE]

I guess you feel the same way about Ronald Reagan?

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_debt_by_U.S._presidential_terms[/url]
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 05-18-2011 at 12:13 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4031856]I guess you feel the same way about Ronald Reagan?

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_debt_by_U.S._presidential_terms[/url][/QUOTE]

Please do not feed the trolls.;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4031838]
    That last part, a belief, I will remind you, you did not express under the previous (R) Administrtions, in the same way that belief was not expressed by the current President under that same (R) Administration.
    [/QUOTE]

I dont remember everything I said for 8 years between 2000 and 2008 and im sure there were some doozys thrown in there.

But i do believe to some extent it doesn't matter who is in charge. I had alot of laughs during the W bush Presidency. I didn't agree with the policies in many cases but life was still very good.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4031876]I dont remember everything I said for 8 years between 2000 and 2008 and im sure there were some doozys thrown in there.[/quote]

In fairness, you and me both.

[quote]But i do believe to some extent it doesn't matter who is in charge. I had alot of laughs during the W bush Presidency. I didn't agree with the policies in many cases but life was still very good.[/QUOTE]

Well....the test of your statement will be under the next (R) led Administration/Congress. We'll see who says what then, assuming the kooks proclaiming 5/21 the end of the world turn out to be wrong.;)

/shrug.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stuff.

So, tell me, if the deficit doesn't matter, then why do we need to increase taxes?

In fact, why don't we just cut all taxes to 0% for everyone and keeping printing and spending what we don't have? Cuz according to you, that means nothing. And wouldn't everyone be happy on both sides?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guess it would be silly to expect an answer

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4032499]Interesting stuff.

So, tell me, if the deficit doesn't matter, then why do we need to increase taxes?

In fact, why don't we just cut all taxes to 0% for everyone and keeping printing and spending what we don't have? Cuz according to you, that means nothing. And wouldn't everyone be happy on both sides?[/QUOTE]

i didn't see this the first time...

there is alot of real estate between "the deficit doesn't matter" and "America is broke"

most times the deficit doesn't matter. It matters alot if we stop servicing the debt.

note the conditional "It can be 50 trillion in debt [b]if the world accepts that [/b]and the sky is blue every morning... what's the problem? "

I dont think the world would accept 50 trillion in debt... they also won't accept if we stop paying our bills. we are approaching the point where we need to act like adults and balance the check book.

My point is that it's about perception not about numbers. if we were 50 trillion dollars in debt and the perception was we were good for it, everything would be fine. We are at the brink of losing that reputation... and we need to preserve it by making changes to pay some of it off.

Taxes have to be raised because we are at a 60 year low in terms of tax burden. We cut taxes and waged 2 wars essentially on a credit card. That has to be settled and cutting spending WONT do it

i do think there is a huge differnce between going broke and losing our AAA bond rating. people often equate USA not being #1 in a certain category as the end of the world. it isn't. we could live in a country that is rated B by Moodys and still have a great country. The question is do we want to preserve that rating and I think we do.
    Last edited by bitonti; 05-19-2011 at 10:00 AM.